Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Audience  (Read 3816 times)
cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« on: May 14, 2008, 07:07AM »

Aislin is absolutely right!  We shouldn't say anything about the audience not being as "UP" as we are and I am probably more guilty than anyone. I am truly sorry if I said anything to hurt anyones feelings. I guess I feel differently than most of the people setting out there who are not members in this great club we have going here.  I think almost all of us have had a job that we worked hard at and did our VERY best to do the very best we could to accomplish the tasks assigned to us. .   Only to have those above us not appreciate all our efforts.  BUT-- they were there when something went wrong to let us know they were watching then!
  I think we forget that the girls are doing a job because we love them so much and they are so VERY,VERY, good at that job!! They make it look like they LOVE coming out and singing to all of us and for the most part I'm sure they do-- but it MUST be such hard work for them when you think of all the traveling they do and how long they are away from family and there MUST be hardships of living on a bus -- a LOT of the time.   When was the last time any of us heard of any of the girls not performing because of illness or any excuse. I know Mairead was hurt and couldn't perform for a VERY SHORT time and I heard how badly she felt about not being out there for US-- not any other reason- just that she knew we all wanted to see her!!   So I guess I feel like we are the " Bosses" checking out the girls work and seeing just how well they're doing their jobs-- and I for one want them to know that when they put their hearts into showing me how much they LOVE to do this FOR ME--- I  want to show them how very much I appreciate them.   I look at an audience that politely applaudes after a girl has sung her heart out to please THEM as  sort of    "OK, thats pretty good, but what are you going to do for me now".  I want to be that "boss" that lets them know ' I think you are terrific and I love your work and I want you to know it!!! "  I'm sure the girls can feel the electricity of an audience and know if and when they are giving back and making their job so much easier and fun to do.  And yet when they do not get that response, They STILL go out there and sing and give their hearts to them. That alone deserves a " Standing O" in my opinion.  Again I want to say that Aislin is RIGHT and in no way am I disputing what has been said!!   I will continue to be very disappointed in a non- responsive audience but I will try my very best to realize not everyone loves these girls and all the performers the way we do.
Gary

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 07:35AM »

I know Mairead was hurt and couldn't perform for a VERY SHORT time

Wait.

When was she hurt and couldn't perform? The only injury I heard of was in Tempe in 2007 and she kept right on going like the energizer bunny.

Did I miss something?

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Moscapoet
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 12:25PM »

The only time Mairead did not perform was when she became ill in Springfield Illinois last fall after The Butterfly. When she was injured at Gammage last spring she continued and did not miss a show inspite of being in pain. She is a consummate professional and her "The show must go on attitude" and amazing work ethic is an honor to behold.
   I too made commentary on a recent audience and should have tempered it a bit. However, we forum types are a different breed of fan and it is up to us to help start the crowd and support for the ladies at the appropriate times. Sitting there and putting your hands over your head to clap sends a signal to those seated behind you. Giving standing ovations may help others to do so too. Not everyone is comfortable doing that but for those who are we can be instrumental in energizing the crowd. I've always said that we are the first line of promtion for them whether at a concert or in talking with those we know or meet in our lives and especially in the concert city when there. Last night we told the wait staff at dinner, the cab driver, and the hotel staff about the concert tonight and about the group. I told my seat mates on my flights too. I never stop, but that is just me. When a group and individuals within it change your life as they have mine, I feel that I owe it to them to give them all the love and support I can.
    I agree that it is a good idea to refrain from commentary on the crowd just as we are already asked to do in the forum decorum with regard to CW and those contracted to work with them regardless of our opinions. We have other routes to voice those concerns without posting them.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:37PM »

Thanks. I didn't realize she had gotten ill and missed a performance. That must have been a bummer for the fans. How dare a bug attack our flying fiddler.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 12:40PM »

As Jim and Scott have pointed out it's my Faux Pas about Maired MISSING any part of a show!!! I apologize to ALL and especially to Mairead!!!  I guess that just makes my point even moreso about how these girls are out there doing their wonderful "job" for US-- and how much we appreciate their efforts!!

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
Moscapoet
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 12:45PM »

Yes Jim. You can read it in her November 2007 newsletter. It appeared a short duration illness like a 24 hour bug or perhaps a touch of food poisoning. She was at the next show and full power fairly soon. She tweaked her back a bit earlier this tour too and that restricted her a bit but worked her way through that too. She is a plucky lady for sure.
bpea55

Orlagh, So happy for you, Mom to be! WOO HOO!!!

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 04:11PM »

Gary, I agree with your first post and also woth Aislin's stand..As a musician it still boggle's my mind how they do what they do with such energy and love towards their audiences..And I also realize that sometimes that does not get returned to the performers....Who can say why..it just happens sometimes.
 Performers know this and although it makes for a tough night, they still continue to go out and do it again to give their audience the best they have..I'm telling you these Ladies are REMARKABLE in that respect.Yes they do deserve a standing "O" from all of us!

"While we seek Myrth and Beauty and Music light and gay, there are frail forms waiting at the door.....though their voices are silent, their pleading lips will say,
"Oh, Hard times, come again no more..."
Thanks so much Orlagh!
I will always remember...
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 04:26PM »

At first, when reading about the so called "sleepy" audiences, I too was thinking to myself "What the heck is the matter with these people?!" but then I realized that we are just a different crowd. We are all pretty diehard when it comes to our CW love, but some people just aren't and some people don't express themselves that way. Aislin's post, as well as the posts of others really made me think about that and realize that they were all correct. Just because an audience didn't respond to the show in the way that WE feel is appropriate, doesn't mean they didn't appreciate the show. When I look back on Jacksonville, I probably could have been a little more riled-up like some of the rest of you, but when sitting in an arena with a bunch of people the last thing I want to do is bring attention to myself, and I often worry about bothering the people around me as well. I'm sure a lot of others feel the same way. I don't think there is one right way or wrong way to appreciate a show, as long as the audience isn't being disrespectful in any way.

Good posts, everyone!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
CC

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 01:31AM »

Thinking about the people around you is always the right thing to do, Emily. For us to ignore the comfort and enjoyment of the people near us would, in itself, be a form of disrespect to the performers -- and a poor way to represent our fellow forum members. The best way we can honor CW is by conducting ourselves in a manner that would make them proud to have us as fans.

I always talk with those around me and ask if they will be bothered by the bouncing and swaying and clapping I like to do, because I realize that it could be really annoying to some people. Each one of them paid as much for their ticket as I did and has the same right to get the most out of the evening. So far I've been very lucky. No one has ever objected and several have even told me that they liked seeing me enjoy the music so much. I've appreciated that very much, but if I ever run across one who says "Yes", I'll do my very best to respect that.

Of course, standing ovations don't count, because they don't interfere with anyone's enjoyment of the show and I'm always back in my seat before the next song begins. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: