Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bakersfield, the desert blooms  (Read 6906 times)
Moscapoet
« on: May 15, 2008, 11:33AM »

The desert bloomed last night when the wonderful ensemble from Ireland took stage.

I returned from Phoenix and then spent a nice chunk of change on my jeep which needed a new u joint, brakes, and shocks. OK, so off to the airport and my US Airways flights to Bakersfield via Phoenix. I worked at the Albuquerque station when it was still America West so knew some of the agents. I told them the tales of this past year plus and about Celtic Woman. Once at the gate my friends gave me the gift of a free upgrade to first class. What a nice start. I get into a conversation with a nice black gent who works at a hotel in Charlotte and of course pass along all the info about CW and the various sites to which I'm connected. I do the same with my neighbor to Bakersfield.

Upon arrival I get to the hotel and Jim M. pulls in shortly thereafter in his truck, sans trailer. We do some forum work and then get cleaned up for a venture to dinner. A nearby hotel has a notable restaurant so we head over there. They also have a business center with free computer usage that my hotel does not. Well, why I keep stumbling into places where lovely Irish artists are staying I haven't a clue but for the fourth time this tour there they are. Priceline gets me my hotels so I never know how that will work. Anyway, I see them but of course go about my business. Dinner is good and we do some computer time in the lobby business center then head back to my hotel. Mine has a more active night life. Jim heads to the truck to hit the rack. I go in to the bar and get another free gift of a glass of Hefeweizer (beer). Two freebies in one day.

Concert day dawns and Jim has a laptop to use so after breakfast we spend most of the day looking for concert tickets for Jim and in the forums. Mid afternoon we go to the courtyard and Jim takes some photos of me with the CW t-shirt, fiddler crossing sign, and autographed photo of Mairead. We also get one with his truck and the Maireadium bumper sticker I gave him as a gift. Clean up and off to dinner. Jim takes his truck and I a cab. We get to the venue and he gets a great ticket just walking up. Third row (there were no pit seats) and slightly to stage right. I ask about exchanging mine for a better seat and wind up next to him. A Mel manouever before the concert even starts. We chat with those around us about CW and warn them about our vocalizing and standing ahead of time. No problem. There is about a 3500 seat capacity and I figure about 80% show up. There are many seats in our row and the two behind with blocks of empty seats. I figure they are ticket broker seats gone unsold. Some do ISU's during intermission. Jim and I let everyone know how special this is live and pass along website data.

There is no High Kings tonight and that had been posted in the official site for a few days. So, we go right to that Angel in the mist. One last stroll into the enchanted forest taken by the musical hand of that most amazing of artists. Rock me gently in those notes darlin' because this is it for ANJ. The crowd here is good but Jim and I make sure we start the applause. I made sure Des received one for his guitar solo. I waited a couple seconds and when nobody started a let out a couple loud claps and the room followed. There you go my man. Well earned. Jim and I gave standing O's for Mo Ghile Mear and the songs at the end. The ladies scan the crowd for familiar faces and had spotted us earlier. With the standing O at the first act we get lots of attention the rest of the night. Ladies you just are so special. We get recognition from the band and choir too. Hey, we love you, why would we not show you the honor you deserve. The ladies were juiced. I think they sense that a week from now they will be home.

Chloe- Were you ever full of life! You were just glowing and that voice gets fuller and sweeter every concert. She received the loadest ovation at the end of the show.

Orlagh- I have not seen Orlagh so pumped before. She was swinging and bouncing like a kid up there. Thanks for the smiles and winks.

Lynn- You belong and there is so much that many of us look forward to for you in the next concert. Thanks for the looks and the little sways.

Alex- You are a marvelous artist and last night was just another reason that you should be in the next DVD.

Mairead- There is nothing more I can say that I have not said so many times. There is nobody like you and that one last taste of your magic was the sweetest. They simply must keep that Last Rose of Summer rendition of yours. Heaven itself does not know such beauty. See you in August pixie dust.

Amy- thanks for finding me in the audience and for the autograph on the photo of us. I just love when you spot me and then just beam. You don't know how special that is.

After the concert we meet up with Joanne and Rachel and Jim gave Joanne gifts for them both on behalf of the forum(s) during intermission. Hugs too! Aww, thanks for all you do ladies. The remainder of the ensemble shone brightly too and Ray and Nicky were in fine form. Well, this is the last review for me on this tour. The book on ANJ has closed and now I await with all of you the August concert recording with great anticipation. Along the concert trail this tour it has been my great pleasure and honor to have promoted the group and forums to everyone I came in contact with. It was an honor to have meet nearly everyone in the group in one way or another. It has been a joy to meet and share concerts with other forum members, some of whom are wonderful friends now. Most of all, it was the greatest joy to have met Mairead and to have been given her blessing on my writings and her forum which is there to honor her. She never failed to acknowledge me in some way and there are plans in the works for some special events if certain hurdles get cleared by a group I am forming. Now it is time to concentrate on getting my first poetry book out with the first 200 pieces, and working on the first CD with Olivia who has now performed some of our songs in public in Australia before a few hundred. All thanks to The Lord and the instruments he has used to change my life and that of so many others. Praise Him! Have a great summer CW and we'll see you at the new recording. God bless you all.     
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 03:03PM by Moscapoet » Logged
Texas Celtic Girl
Honorary Roadie

There can be Miracles,when you believe!

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 12:00PM »

aaw,awesome last review,Scott!  I felt like I was sitting there with you! Lucky you,seeing the girls at your hotel! Good luck on your book and cd! God is good to give us these ladies,isn't He?

Thanks,Guardian and Annie!
8/17/10  Finally met Rosie Allen! Thanks,CW!
SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 01:01PM »

Way to go Scott ! ANJ has been a remarkable tour for many of us. Here's to the taping and the next tour!! Grin Grin

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Charlie'sAngels

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 01:12PM »

Another great review, Scott. Thank you again for taking me away from the daily drudgery, to a wonderful place. Grin
cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 02:26PM »

Well, I knew it would be great--- as usual, Scott!!  Sounds like the last one was a good one. It's sad to see ANJ go, but I still would bet the new show will knock our socks off!!   Another year for David to hone his music to fit each girl and I just hope they have chosen to make it a 5 girl show for 09.   I would sacrifice having to sit for an extra half hour-- no, no, I really don't miond!!!  See Ya at the taping!!!

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 02:32PM »

Grin Grin
I am a little sad.....this just made me realize that ANJ is about over.....

but what great memories!

Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 04:15PM »

I agree with you Kathleen. But the Bakersfield show was  and the remaining shows the audience will be more receptive.

Craig
cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 04:16PM »

True Kathleen-- but just think the taping will be ALL new--- well, they Have to keep Orinoco Flow, and The Voice, and of course, Mo Ghile Mear,and I'm sure Spanish Lady, and it wouldn't be a show without Caledonia and The Blessing. I'm sure it will start with  The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun, and we would all be lost without " SING OUT!!!    But I bet the rest will be new!!  Cheesy  Roll Eyes  Cheesy  Roll Eyes   You're right-- What memories!!!   At Least we will still have the DVD.

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 04:56PM »

Another great review, Scott!  Grin

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 08:59PM »

Thanks for the review!  I'm with you, Kathleen.  Kinda sad to think of ANJ being over. Sad  But hopefully they'll still include our all-time favorites in their next tour, along with all the new stuff. Smiley

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 09:54PM »

The Bakersfield show was nice.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 11:05PM »

The Bakersfield show was nice.

Uh Jim, can you expound on that  a wee bit?

Scott that was an excellent review. wish I had been able to see them this year, but maybe next year I can wrangle a ticket and see Lisa and Orla again.

While not having been raised in Bakersfield, it was the San Joaquin Valley, so it wa home. Proud that the crowd was receptive.

Only a few more shows and you ladies can return to beautiful Ireland and your families.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 11:09PM »

The Bakersfield show was NICE.
albopooh

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 04:05AM »

I am glad that you all enjoyed the show!
Jack

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 06:27AM »

Awesome review and a stirring of the memories, Scott.  ANJ was special and will be sorely missed.  It is hard to believe that two years have gone by since Slane. 

True Kathleen-- but just think the taping will be ALL new--- well, they Have to keep Orinoco Flow, and The Voice, and of course, Mo Ghile Mear,and I'm sure Spanish Lady, and it wouldn't be a show without Caledonia and The Blessing. I'm sure it will start with  The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun, and we would all be lost without " SING OUT!!!    But I bet the rest will be new!!  Cheesy  Roll Eyes  Cheesy  Roll Eyes   You're right-- What memories!!!   At Least we will still have the DVD.

Cool2it, which new song(singular) do you suggest they add?? Cheesy

The Bakersfield show was NICE.

NICE review, Jim-----both of them! Grin

On to the taping and next year's tour!

Jack
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: