Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New York Times Article  (Read 16378 times)
willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« on: May 15, 2007, 05:28PM »

Note:  I have decided to remove this link.  I apologize for any distress this caused.  If you would like to read the article, please go to the New York Times Website. 

I do not agree with the writer of this article, who ironically is female. 

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 05:37PM by willow » Logged

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
Nero Angelo
Honorary Roadie

You will not forget this devil's power!

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 05:32PM »

I cannot comment on this. I'm sorry, but calling the women 'sort of tarty' sets my teeth on edge. And comparing Mairead to a pole-dancer is...is quite beyond the pale.
I...I must compliment you on your remarkable self-restraint. You have...a natural gift for understatement...
As a man from fstdt.com said, 'Y'know, it's people like this and the fact that I can't kill them across the Internet that really drives home that whole 'no god' thing.'
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 05:41PM by Charles Emerson Winchester the Third » Logged

jsharp

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 05:38PM »

Thanks, Willow. It is an interesting take on PBS. After that, I'm with Ferret Face's replacement. 'Cept for the long-distance violence. Wink

Sexy? In spades. But tarty? Please. The rest? I'm at a loss.

Invoking another PBS star: "Can you say 'projection', boys and girls?" Either that or jealousy.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 06:01PM by jsharp1701 » Logged

“You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” - Anne Lamott

willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 06:05PM »

Yes, I removed the link for a reason.  I think that there's a fine line between writing a negative review, or even being political in an article, and this New York Times columnist crossed it. 

As fans and friends of Celtic Woman, I know we are very protective, and this is good.  This article deserves to be responded to, which I plan on doing.  As a result of being in the public eye as prominently as Celtic Woman has been, there's always bound to be nay-sayers, and sarcasm (unfortunately).  I think it important that we know about what's being written or said about them, so that we can be even more supportive of these great musicians.

The sad part is that the actual concert in New York took place two months ago, and it's obvious that this columnist didn't go, let alone review the concert. 

Just my 2 cents.

Blessings,

Mary (willow)

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
Celeste

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 06:04AM »

Yes, I removed the link for a reason.  I think that there's a fine line between writing a negative review, or even being political in an article, and this New York Times columnist crossed it. 

I think it important that we know about what's being written or said about them, so that we can be even more supportive of these great musicians.

Thank you for removing the link. I read that article when it came out, groaned, and consigned it to the round file.

I personally do not think that such negative articles should be posted here, for the same reason that this forum (commendably) does not allow users to post negative messages. These sorts of articles are out there for all the world to see, and can always by found by news searches, for people who are interested in such things. There is no need to give them extra publicity here, of all places, and they can only sour the mood of the board. And if someone wants to challenge the reporters' reviews, better that they write a letter to the editor of the newspaper in question.

I would still prefer that this forum be a place of appreciation, not antagonism. This is just my opinion.

Thomas
Total Fanatic

I am The Voice - I will remain (Thank You CC)

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 07:43AM »

Willow,

I have not read the article nor will I. 

I never read the NY Times as it has become litter box paper for me.

Between all of the problems they are having and their dropping circulation numbers, that is all that I need to know.  The US public has finally caught on to their negativity and I will not be one to support them.

Thanks for dropping their garbage article.

Tom

Banner by Scott

IDIC - Live long and prosper
Celtic_Kit

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 10:07AM »

I generally read the NYT online. I found this article really upsetting and disturbing. It seems to be another case of "if you don't fit into my mold, you have no value." I was furious with the insinuation of "tartiness."

I know of no other musical act with the value of Celtic Woman. They are talented, gracious to audiences and fans, lovely and varied in style. Their music is like a deep breath where one has been gasping for air. Since I first saw them on PBS I feel like I can breathe again. There is beauty and peace in the world again. Nothing that a reporter writes can take that away.

Forever grateful for Celtic Woman

-Kit
Texas Chava

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 03:23PM »

I just finished reading the NY Times article too and felt like the writer wrote it with her very sharp claws, meow, meow, meow.  It had a rather catty feel to it.  There was absolutely no cause for "tardiness" and "poles" being mentioned.  I hope people who don't know "our ladies" didn't read the article and get the wrong idea.  CW is the classiest act I know of!

Banner by Scott
logalogalog

Remember the Fallen. Freedom is not free.

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 04:00PM »

I read it and gagged.It was terrible.Nobody should have to read garbage like that.I hope none of the girls ever see it.

Thanks,Willow.

Serving during Operation Iraqi Freedom
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 06:48PM »

Well I haven't read it but from what you all are saying I won't!

Thanks Lindsey
fireyred09
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 09:20PM »

It took some searching, but I managed to find the article. I respect others' decisions not to, but I wanted to read it to see if it really posed as a threat to the girls, and now that I have, I want very badly to write an email to the editor.

That was, by far, one of the strangest, and most offensive articles I've ever read! The woman goes back and forth between calling them "tarty" (to put it lightly) to saying that they harmonize well. I cannot believe the things she wrote about Méav and Mairead, especially.

What I'm curious about is who this writer was attempting to address with the article. Obviously not Celtic Woman fans...

I'll definitely be emailing the editor about this one. While we all have a right to our own opinions, there is a difference between tastefully saying you didn't care for something, and this humiliating article. I hope the girls never caught wind of this one.

Willow, it was a good call to remove the link. Be assured that I am not getting myself worked up over this. It, of course, has absolutely no effect on my love of Celtic Woman! I just want to let the editor know that there is a much more civil way of expressing dislike for something/someone.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 09:27PM by fieryred09 » Logged
m.k.c.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 09:44PM »

Go Katie! Grin
ferngully
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 10:19AM »

i just had to laugh when i read it Cheesy it was so miserable an attitude to the group
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 07:46PM »

The Salt Lake City article was the same thing! Same words and everything!

Thanks Lindsey
logalogalog

Remember the Fallen. Freedom is not free.

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 09:21PM »

That writer must have been smoking Dulaman.

Serving during Operation Iraqi Freedom
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: