Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tickets........  (Read 14142 times)
Texan

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2008, 04:48PM »

Well, keep in mind Florida is only bigger than Mass, but more than likely more Irish live in Mass.  I am not sure how many concerts there were in Fla. for 2007, but I went to 4 of them here in Fla., and 2 were about 25 minutes from where I live.     Grin

According to the 2000 US census more Irish live in Florida than Mass.

The states with the largest Irish-American populations are:
1. California- 2,611,449
2. New York- 2,451,042
3. Pennsylvania- 1,981,106
4. Florida- 1,645,585
5. Illinois- 1,511,569
By the way ,

Texas had  1,502,841
Massachusetts  1,426,453

24%
Percentage of Massachusetts residents of Irish ancestry — about double the national percentage.
Number of states in which Irish is the leading ancestry group: Delaware, Massachusetts and New Hampshire

http://www.euroamericans.net/irish.htm
Other info
http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/facts_for_features_special_editions/003581.html

Lester

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: it makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.

Thanks for all of your wonderful music Deirdre
Maggie
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2008, 02:47PM »

It's nice that they are proud of their Irish ancestry, but how far does it go back?

I mean, how many times has the Irish blood been diluted before they finally call themselves Americans?

It's like someone starts with a double shot of Jameson's Irish Whiskey.
The guy next to him says "I'd like to try that", he pours some off and adds water.
Then he gives some to his buddy and he add some ginger ale.
The next guy adds tonic.
There is no Jameson's left......only mixers.

I'm guessing the States with the biggest percentage of people from Ireland are New York,California, Massachussetts, and Florida.

howard

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2008, 04:48PM »

Hello Lester,

You just posted some good stuff.
I would have never guess that Mass. was that low on the charts and where Fla. is located.
Very interesting.

howard
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2008, 05:41PM »

California had that on 2000 census!    Shocked   Well there is Irish restaraunt near me I need to visit one day. And be with more Irish friends Smiley
Texan

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2008, 09:46AM »

It's nice that they are proud of their Irish ancestry, but how far does it go back?

I mean, how many times has the Irish blood been diluted before they finally call themselves Americans?

It's like someone starts with a double shot of Jameson's Irish Whiskey.
The guy next to him says "I'd like to try that", he pours some off and adds water.
Then he gives some to his buddy and he add some ginger ale.
The next guy adds tonic.
There is no Jameson's left......only mixers.

I'm guessing the States with the biggest percentage of people from Ireland are New York,California, Massachussetts, and Florida.

Well, of course you're right Maggie, "...only mixers" left. I'm sure all feel proud to say American first. At least they should. But, is always interesting to look back and find your ancestry. My first ancestor to America arrived here in 1641 from England. He was baptiized on Dec 22, 1603 at a church in England that still stands today. We have documentation going back to the "Doomsday Book" , about 1080 AD. Amazing some of the things I have learned about my ancestors.

But, I have never thought of calling myself anything other than American. Proud to be an American. But, proud of my past of course, as diluted as I am.

"A people that takes no pride in the noble achievements of remote ancestors, will never achieve anything worthy to be remembered with pride by by remote descendants"

--- Lord Macauley

Lester

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: it makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.

Thanks for all of your wonderful music Deirdre
donnis

Kelly Family Crest

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2008, 10:08AM »

That is interesting Lester.  As far as claiming the specific ancestry, I believe the USA says that they will accept 1/8th as being part of that group.  I looked it up to claim my Indian (American Indian) heritage and that is what I found out.  So I would imagine that they could only claim Irish Ancestry if they can prove it to 1/8th also. 
Even though my Irish goes back to my Great Great Grandfather, I still like to think of my heritage being Irish and like Maggie says, I AM proud of it.  But as far as legal stuff goes, I am an American and more of an American Indian than anything.  I am a product of the "great American melting pot." 

L isa  I s  S imply  A wesome

Meallan muilte Dé go mall ach meallan siad go mion.
Maggie
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2008, 11:55AM »

......My first ancestor to America arrived here in 1641 from England. He was baptiized on Dec 22, 1603 at a church in England that still stands today. We have documentation going back to the "Doomsday Book" , about 1080 AD. Amazing some of the things I have learned about my ancestors.

Lester, you inspired me to post a topic on the Domesday Book, it's under "Celtic Culture".
I studied it in College.

As I explain in my post, although it isn't Celtic it does have a connection to Ireland in that the Normans invaded Wexford in 1169 and proceeded to Dublin.
They never quite conquered Ireland the way they did England, however.
The Book only contains English towns and villages, the purpose of it was to document  taxable properties and landowners.
You might enjoy the link in that post to the online Domesday Book.

Bookworm
Honorary Roadie

Thanks Celtic Chicken!

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2008, 02:37PM »

I believe the USA says that they will accept 1/8th as being part of that group.

darn I'm one generation out of being considered of Scotch-Irish ancestry. I'm 1/16.  Sad

Thank you Lisa Kelly Fan and Brian H

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2008, 02:47PM »

I agree WhiteWolf, it is the money and with schedule Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: