Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parts and pieces  (Read 7721 times)
PerryWest
« on: July 21, 2008, 05:56PM »

There are many components that make up the beautiful sound and atmosphere of Celtic Woman. To the Forum: Are there any parts more or less important than the others? i.e. Drums, flute, visual effects, etc.. Would you change anything? Add something, or maybe take something away? If the audience just sat there and didn't show any enthusiasm, what consequence would it do to the performers? Is the audience participation vital?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:58PM by Mark P McConathy » Logged
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 06:36PM »

Can we discuss audience participation?

Its something that I have brought up in the past and seemed ok, but more recently I think it was Aislin who stopped a related discussion. Of course there could have been more to it that I missed.

I am going to post something on it but I will be careful what I say and how I say it. Hopefully this is ok.

Going back to March 2007, I did a review of the show I went to and noted a lack of participation. Maggie made a good reply about audiences being polite for this type of music. I think Rich also made a good point that he pays to hear the musicians sing, not the audience person behind him sing.

In March of 2008, under Deirdra's section, I commented on a lack of participation at LOTD. In her live chat (if I understood & remembered this right), Deirdra, in short, said that fans pay for their tickets and can enjoy the show quietly if they choose to do so, or clap and cheer more if they wish. Its a fan's decision.

Since thats straight from a Celtic Woman herself, I am going to agree with it whole-heartedly! A Celtic Woman is always right! <shameless kiss up here  Cheesy  >

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 07:00PM »

I wouldn't change anything with CW. In the words of Billy Joel, "I love you just the way you are!" Grin Grin Grin

I'm going to be DARING and discuss participation as well. Cheesy I'm inclined to agree with Deirdre. People express themselves in very different ways and have different levels of appreciation for an artist. Just because an audience doesn't hoot and holler and get super excited doesn't mean they aren't appreciating the show. The folks next to me in Jacksonville were very quiet during the CW show but told me afterwards that they just LOVED it and really adored all of the girls, especially Máiréad and Alex. They were very appreciative of the performance. (Also, I'm of the opinion that while getting excited is awesome, you don't want to be distracting other people around you to the point where they can't enjoy the show). In addition...I agree with Rich. I HATE when people sing along. I want to hear the girls, not the dude behind me, athough I admit to *quietly* singing along during Sing Out! Cheesy Cheesy Wink

So no, I don't see audience participation as "vital" quite personally! It's nice when everyone's excited and into it, but I think I could enjoy a Celtic Woman concert in any kind of setting!! Even if the rest of the audience was absolutely in a coma I could still feel like I was on top of the world. That's of course because the girls give their all in every show. Ya gotta love that. Grin

There's nothing I would change about Celtic Woman. It's jusssssttt the way I like it! That's just my two cents though.

(PS...I hope this topic doesn't become controversial. I'm sure we can all discuss these things like mature adults, so I hope there's no need for warnings or anything. Smiley )

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 10:50PM »

I agree, wouldn't change anything with CW.  Each part is just as important as another.  Without that one part, no matter how small, it would not be the same show.  Just like our bodies need every little part to function properly. Wink

I freely admit to being one who will sing along, not usually during solos, then I generally only mouth the words (sometimes not even that, depending on the song), if I do sing it's very quietly so as not to be noticed really, but with some of the group numbers such as "Mo Ghile Mear", "Sing Out", and "Spanish Lady" I will often go right ahead and sing with the girls (but not obtrusively/disruptively, and if asked, I'll stop) and I know I'm not the only forum member who does; and actually at one of the concerts I attended, I noticed the lyrics to "Sing Out" were printed in the program so I think the whole audience is invited to sing along with that one at least.  The girls themselves really enjoy high energy and audience participation.  They feed off of that in their performance, making it even better the more audience participation there is! Grin
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 08:56PM by Jeanine » Logged

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
Maggie
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 03:48AM »

The first time anyone this side of the Pond saw CW, it was the concert recorded on 15th September 2004 at the Helix, Dublin, in front of an Irish audience.

I remember seeing comments that there was not much audience participation, and the people did not look too happy.

As I explained at the time, it's all a matter of respect.
In Ireland, musicians and singers are much appreciated, and it's considered rude to interrupt the artist in any way. So the audience sat and listened, then showed their appreciation with applause.

In days of old, and even today sometimes, Irish people gather in each others' homes and musicians bring instruments along, and they take turns to sing and play. You can hear a pin drop during a performance, in appreciation of the performer.

As I have mentioned previously, I have an amateur video made in a small Tipperary Village, about village life in the 1960s and 70s.
In one scene a young woman is singing a lament about two local brothers who were executed for a crime they did not commit. At her feet, gazing up at her, is a little boy around 3 or 4 years old, giving all his attention to her song. He learned this by example.
He was also learning local History in the time-honoured way.

As audiences got to know CW, they relaxed a bit more, and when invited by the artistes joined in with clapping and the chorus.
I get very annoyed when the people around me join in with the artistes.....do they really think they can do better? We had this problem during Dave's first CW concert in Tampa, when the couple next to us started singing along with Chloe's and Lisa's solos, and I asked them to stop.
They carried on, so I went to the front-of-house Manager, who told them to leave.

I don't see why anyone pays big money for an evening at a concert, then sings and hoots and shouts all the way through......just do us all a favour - stay home, put on the DVD  and sing to your heart's content!

As for the Ladies of CW being asked their opinions......be aware they are each a class act, and they are very diplomatic.
They are likely to give a generic answer rather than a personal opinion......they do not wish to upset anyone in their audience. Deirdre's reply in Cash's post is a good example of this.

Quote: "Deirdre, in short, said that fans pay for their tickets and can enjoy the show quietly if they choose to do so, or clap and cheer more if they wish."

I would have wanted to add: "But if you interrupt my song, or disrespect other members of the audience, I'll run you through with a pitchfork!" Wink

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:00AM by Maggie » Logged
Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 04:03AM »

The only thing I can say is that after speaking with several of the girls, but especially Chloe, she says that THEY appreciate all of us, especially when we get the crowd going. It gets THEM going even more. I know that during some of Mairead's solo's, I so much want to start clapping along, but hesitate due to what Maggie has mentioned about not doing so during the performance, UNLESS you are promted by the artist, as Mairead and Ray do during The Contradiction.

As for changing anything...No...You can't top perfection.

Ok, maybe one slight change, uh...Lisa can have more solo's  Tongue Wink

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 05:43AM »

I don't like to debate the relative "importance" of any single part of the show.  That's very subjective, and 20 people will give you 20 different answers.  But - if I had to pin down one thing that is indispensable, it would have to be Máiréad.  (Yeah, I know, I'm being unfaithful to my friend, Lisa. Forgive me, Mrs. Porter.  Wink)  But Máiréad's contribution is so unique.  We've all seen how disappointed we were when Méav left the show, and Lisa went on maternity leave.  But we've fallen in love with Lynn and Alex, and the show goes on.  But Máiréad is irreplaceable.  When she comes out on stage, the pulse of the entire event kicks up several notches.  Sure, there are other fiddlers whose skills set therm above the crowd - Nollaig Casey and Cora Smyth come to mind, among others.  Máiréad's technical talent, combined with her unequaled showmanship - no, I don't believe anyone could take her place.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 08:00AM »

What would I change? The amount of time they spend in teh western US. More concerts. Hmm I wonder if CW would like to move to Arizona in teh winter<g>

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Cherany

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 09:30AM »

I agree with Rich on Máiréad.  While there are many undiscovered singers with extraordinary voices, there aren't too many artists like her.  I can't name a single one, in fact.

I believe all the instruments used add something to the show, though Orla playing the harp does stand out to me as extra special.  The show would still be absolutely terrific if she did not, but how wonderful for us that she does!

As far as audience participation goes, I suppose it depends on what you consider audience participation.  If I went to a show and people weren't even clapping, I would die of shock, not to mention disgust, that people could be so rude and unappreciative of such beautiful music. 

However, singing along loudly, yelling, waving arms in the air and blocking others' views... the people who do those things are not welcome around me.  Basically, I love a show where the audience shows as much enthusiasm and appreciation as can be showed without infringing on anyone else's right to see and hear the show perfectly.

Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 11:50AM »

This is an interesting discussion...I have seen the performers be so appreciative when they have an involved audience.  I don't think, however, that if they have a polite audience who isn't involved until the end that they aren't appreciative.

There is, surprisingly, one thing I would add (note, I didn't say "change").  This comes from talking to Meav at her solo shows and hearing what she said to others.  At her last show, she dedicated a song to Marie-France and mentioned she had been wanting to do that for three years.  I would like to hear a bit more of the soloists speaking...introducing songs, etc.  Mind you, I primarily go to hear them sing, of course.  But the extra connection you get to a song after you hear any one of them talk briefly about it's history might be rather nice.  Just my opinion!

And I'm betting that Lisa would love to dedicate a song to Rich  Wink Grin

Edit:  I also meant to say that I think all of the parts and pieces are very important.  Can you imagine a show without Des, or the percussion, or the other instruments, or Rachel and Joanne?  I surely don't want to!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:57AM by Kelli » Logged

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 11:58AM »

And I'm betting that Lisa would love to dedicate a song to Rich  Wink Grin
Yeah, the death march in Wagner's Götterdämmerung.   Cheesy

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 12:05PM »

Yeah, that's why I didn't guess WHICH song.  Ah well, beggars can't be choosers and I know you'd get a song  Wink

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
Cherany

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 01:17PM »

This is an interesting discussion...I have seen the performers be so appreciative when they have an involved audience.  I don't think, however, that if they have a polite audience who isn't involved until the end that they aren't appreciative.

Well said, and I agree!

There is, surprisingly, one thing I would add (note, I didn't say "change").  This comes from talking to Meav at her solo shows and hearing what she said to others.  At her last show, she dedicated a song to Marie-France and mentioned she had been wanting to do that for three years.  I would like to hear a bit more of the soloists speaking...introducing songs, etc.  Mind you, I primarily go to hear them sing, of course.  But the extra connection you get to a song after you hear any one of them talk briefly about it's history might be rather nice.

Hmm, yes, that is nice sometimes.  My personal opinion of why we don't see this in CW shows is that CW is designed to be a polished theatrical experience, more than just a concert.  Most theatre shows are best seen start to finish, rather than with intros throughout.  However, I could see it working, since the show is not a continuous story the way most shows are (musicals, plays, etc.). 

Would be interesting to know what the girls think of this; I imagine they might enjoy giving a little bit of background for certain songs that mean a lot to them.

howard

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 03:46PM »

Hello Everyone,

I agree with Rich also, Mairead is the heart/soul of the group, and I am glad that she doesn't sing, what a real problem that would be to pick your favorite singer in the group if she did.

However, I would like to see a show that was not so structured, more informal.  Where the girls would be able to batter with the audience and among themselves.

At least once I would like to see that.

And I don't like it when anyone in the audience sings along out loud, I didn't go to a show to hear that, I just want to hear the artist.
And along that line, CW dvd, I really don't like when the audience is shown on it.  I wish the camera would just be focused on the stage, I want to see the artists only, not the audience.  I want to see whats going on the stage not what is going on in the audience.

My Best,
Howard
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:50PM by howard » Logged
willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 04:51PM »

Howard:  You would love Chloe's DVD.  One of the reasons I love it so much is that it's so peaceful to watch and listen to Chloe, singng in different places in Ireland. 

I would love to have CW do a DVD like that, rather than another concert experience (ducks head to avoid incoming objects being hurled).  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the three DVDs that are out.  It just would be kinda cool to see them do a video along the same lines as Chloe's. 

And with that...

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: