Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parts and pieces  (Read 7720 times)
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 04:57PM »

And I'm betting that Lisa would love to dedicate a song to Rich  Wink ;
D
Yeah, the death march in Wagner's Götterdämmerung.   Cheesy

LOL!   Never!!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 05:37PM »

(ducks head to avoid incoming objects being hurled). 

Ducking your head wont help, as  when I hurl things at people I target the center of mass  Tongue   Cheesy

But seriously, on the topic of change and Mairead, I would change one thing. I would require her to wear appropriate footware for her athletic moves. Jumping & running in high heals just seems too dangerous, and I hate to see her hurt. I think she dodged a bullet back with that calf muscle pull. Of course, maybe she already has. But it seems on the dvd she does some of the hops and running in heals.

I would also shorten the dresses by a few inches to allow a little more room so they dont trip on their own clothing. I am not talking much, just enough to allow a little more room and avoid a potential accidental trip.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 05:46PM »

Máiréad's technical talent, combined with her unequaled showmanship - no, I don't believe anyone could take her place.

I agree with this, Rich. While we've seen a couple of soloists come and go, the whole thing just wouldn't work without Máiréad. It would never be the same without her and would lose the whole magic of it all, in my opinion.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 06:05PM »

I never gave it any thought before, but, yeah, I agree that Mairead is the glue!!!   I guess that's one reason she walks out first and sets the tone of the evening.   I mouth the words and I also direct the singing--- I expect I will hold my breath during any Lisa solo when I finally get to see her ( and like Maggie, will strangle anyone that would interfere with her in any way!! )  I don't sing out unless everyone is ( and when I sing to myself, I NEVER miss a note and I sound REALLY good!!! LOL ).
    It is so very, very, hard to not get " into" the show with the girls because of how much I love their performances and how great they are !!   The solos are different entirely and we all respect them.   All in all, I would say the members have been to so many shows and seem to know when to do what.   But when we do get into it and the girls look down at us and smile, you know they enjoy us  as much as we enjoy being there.   

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
howard

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 04:21PM »

Hello Willow-Jeeves,

Yes, I have Chloes' dvd, it is very nice...but I do like concert dvd's, but just keep the camera on the stage and not the audience.  I buy a concert dvd to see the show and for the same reason I go to a live concert to hear the artist not someone in the audience.

And I tell you, when there are rude people in the audience who speak during a show I will shhhhh them.  Of course I can't say much if they are singing out loud.   Angry

My Very Best,
Howard   
mishawakafan

A smile a little girl & her Papa will never forget

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 03:04PM »

I would like to hear a bit more of the soloists speaking...introducing songs, etc.  Mind you, I primarily go to hear them sing, of course.  But the extra connection you get to a song after you hear any one of them talk briefly about it's history might be rather nice.  Just my opinion!

And I'm betting that Lisa would love to dedicate a song to Rich  Wink Grin

Hi,
    I have always thought the reason the Girls talked so little during the show was that they were representing a composite "Celtic Woman".  The show is not "Celtic WomEn" or "The Chloe, Lisa, Orla......................Mairead Show".  The more they would speak the more thier individual personalities would come through and splinter the composite the show was meant to convey.  The Girls personalities came through anyway because they are just that dynamic.  We who saw them were drawn to them just by the power and beauty of thier performances.  The more we think we know them the more we want to here from them.  I too would like to hear them speak to the audience.  If they don't , it's OK, as long as they sing and play I'll be more than happy. 

To be at a show where Lisa is dedicating a song to Rich would be awesome.  It would mean Lisa was back and I would have a chance to meet Rich (sorry, Rich, for the second billing but I think you understand).

They don't have to change a thing with the show for me.  Just come back.  Please!

Phil
    (The above is the opinion of Phil and you should consider the source)  Wink
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:09PM by mishawakafan » Logged

willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 05:00PM »

(ducks head to avoid incoming objects being hurled). 

Ducking your head wont help, as  when I hurl things at people I target the center of mass  Tongue   Cheesy

LOL!  Of course you target, but how's your aim?   Wink  (I better have some destroyer droids to deflect objects being hurled Shocked

But seriously, on the topic of change and Mairead, I would change one thing. I would require her to wear appropriate footware for her athletic moves. Jumping & running in high heals just seems too dangerous, and I hate to see her hurt. I think she dodged a bullet back with that calf muscle pull. Of course, maybe she already has. But it seems on the dvd she does some of the hops and running in heals.

I quite agree, Cash!  I know that after watching her in San Diego on June 7, 2007, three days after her accident to her calf muscle (I think it was her calf muscle), she came on, and even without the leaps, she was amazing.  I know that when she left the building, she was on crutches.   Cry

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 05:43PM »

I know that when she left the building, she was on crutches.   Cry

Awww.  Cry Poor Máiréad. That's sad. Sad

I do agree though. I can barely walk in heels much less jump around. One false move and you can really hurt yourself.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Lisa_Kelly_fan_forever
Total Fanatic

FaFo...."Why am I so Caramel Cinamonny?"

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 08:48PM »

Very nice input on Máiréad.  Thank you, Rich, for bringing it up!  She's always been seen in the center of the group.....(even though that was probably just to balance the stage, you know, one fiddler, two vocalists on each side)....but as many have said, we simply CANNOT replace her.

In my opinion, we can't replace the others, either.....*cough*LISA Grin*cough*(Sorry Alex!!)....but indeed, if it is done, the show goes on.  You can't have no Máiréad. (Excuse the double negative....stay positive, FaFo! Cheesy)

As to audience participation.....I'm almost ashamed to say that Rich might have been responding to me in saying, "Never sing next to me at a concert..." Embarrassed Embarrassed  However, this was a bit of a jest, and I sincerely apologise for that....however, it never really hurts to lip synch, eh? Grin  Some songs just make you so happy, you have to smile or lip synch.  This completely does depend on the person, and that's just me.  However, most songs should be simply enjoyed, which I agree is no disrespect to the performers....rather, it's a compliment!

Basically, I love a show where the audience shows as much enthusiasm and appreciation as can be showed without infringing on anyone else's right to see and hear the show perfectly.
In summation, I'd probably agree with this.  Actually, the audience doesn't have to be so enthusiastic....appreciation means the world to performers.  You just don't want to be disrespectful to anyone, because, I agree, everyone paid to hear the performer, not an audience member.

But please.....if Máiréad, Nicky, and Ray ask you to clap.....CLAP! Wink Cheesy

What I would change?  Nothing.  Like Mel said, you can't top perfection.  And, like David has said before, there's not a sound like it in the world; and there's not a visual like it....which goes back to the elements of the show.  If one part was lost, the show wouldn't be what it was meant to be.  Delegating importance of role ain't my thing.....it should be enough to know that if anything was lost, the show would be altered....and that's not a good thing, in my opinion.  We want it to progress, yes, but it mustn't lose any of its glory in the process.

About the vocalists speaking between songs....in my opinion, it takes away from the feel of the show; however, on certain occasions, in can add to its value.  If, for example, you are new to CW, you want to get the feel of a nonstop perfomance.  If it were an audience of people who had seen CW before, interaction would be very neat!  However, that's almost never the case.

Good thoughts by everyone, like I said.....that's what I love about this place, it makes you think, sometimes even changes your viewpoint for a while!

Proud to be a FANTIE!!! Grin Grin

A positive attitude may not solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Grin
2B0B

You are in my heart, I'll see you in my dreams.

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 11:46PM »

I agree with Rich, but would say it differently. I had a mental picture form as I started reading this thread.

I saw a CW show as a work of art, a tapestry of intricate, precise designs in rich, bold colors made by a master weaver. The threads that bind it are made of the strings of a violin and the shuttle that draws it all together is a bow. There are no holes, voids, or frayed edges, the colors never fade, the designs are precise (as the Maker intended), and all of the knots are drawn taught and will never unravel. The shuttle moves, line by precise line, from start to finish, without flaw or hesitation. The weaver is Máiréad, but the talent and inspiration (the passion) comes from above.

We have all seen the tapestry, and agree it is a masterpiece that should be treasured and preserved. Some are drawn by one color (voice) over the others, or by one design (song) above the rest. We are all enriched by the experience, and hope to see more masterworks like this, soon. May the new designs be as wonderfilled as the old, and the colors never fade away.

2B0B

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:55PM by 2B0B » Logged

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And Eternity in an hour.    William Blake
How does Mairead hold my Heart in her hands
when she touches bow to strings,
And Orla reach my Soul
when she strokes her harp and sings?  2B0B
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 04:29AM »

What a GREAT topic, with GREAT posts.  Yes, I agree, ANJ is perfection and the others were almost as good.  2BOB, you nailed it.
Maggie
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 05:43AM »

I'm sure the reason the ladies do not speak (except for Chloe's "thank you, you've been a lovely audience") is this is an entity....Celtic Woman....a profit-making business.

When it was formed I'm sure they took into account many contingencies, such as:

What would happen if the Group split, like the Wolfetones, and there was a major legal dispute about who was entitled to the name?

Many other Groups have split in such circumstances, but this is different......it was not set up by the performers.
I'm sure they guessed that members would leave and be replaced and they wanted to preserve the integrity of the name.

They want the name Celtic Woman to be bigger than the component parts, and to last a long time.
However, the personality of the individual ladies shines through, and we love each of them.
Regarding Máiréad, I agree with Rich of course.......it would fall apart without my Tipperary homegirl.

And I think they know it........

Cherany

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 12:11PM »

I'm sure the reason the ladies do not speak (except for Chloe's "thank you, you've been a lovely audience") is this is an entity....Celtic Woman....a profit-making business.

When it was formed I'm sure they took into account many contingencies, such as:

What would happen if the Group split, like the Wolfetones, and there was a major legal dispute about who was entitled to the name?

Many other Groups have split in such circumstances, but this is different......it was not set up by the performers.
I'm sure they guessed that members would leave and be replaced and they wanted to preserve the integrity of the name.

They want the name Celtic Woman to be bigger than the component parts, and to last a long time.

I think it's important to remember that they expected CW to be a one-night show.  According to those involved, no one dreamed it would become what it has.

Maggie
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 01:58PM »

I think it's important to remember that they expected CW to be a one-night show.  According to those involved, no one dreamed it would become what it has.

I have always thought that was a good "publicity" story.

I worked in TV Production Planning for some years. We used to put on a pilot show, hoping it would be so popular we could make a series and more.
I had already produced the budget for a series, to see if it was feasible.
We often told the actors / performers it was a one-off but to keep their calendars clear.

I think that show at the Helix was done with the same intention....to go for the long haul.
That would have been one of the possibilities discussed at the CW planning meetings.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 02:00PM by Maggie » Logged
cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2008, 02:13PM »

]

It probably is pretty much of a surprise for them to look over "here" and see 931 members (and countless guests) talking each and EVERY day about them and what we think.  I'm sure they shake their heads at some of our suggestions and give others a "Hmmmmm".   But I really must say--- They have done a terrific job and I trust what they will come up with for the new show will be something we all will be proud of and thrilled with.  ( That David Downes fella is pretty good!! )  LOL

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: