Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Olympic Thread  (Read 66178 times)
Coleen
Global Moderator Emeritus

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 07:28AM »

Yes, Sarah Brightman did a beautiful job.   Smiley

I was thrilled to bits to see Lopez Lomong carry the USA flag.  He looked like he was having the time of his life.  What an honor for him.

Thank you for the lovely banner, Mel.
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 12:08PM »

I loved the Ralph Lauren outfits the USA team was wearing! Very snazzy!

I have to say that I admire the Chinese for being the kind of people that they are and having respect for all of the nations who walked in. In previous opening ceremonies in previous countries, the USA and other nations have been booed. I find that so childish and disrespectful. I applaud the Chinese for being a proper host country and welcoming them without the booing that has seemed to become so common nowadays.

Also, the announcers said it was about 85 degrees inside that arena without about the same amount of humidity! That's unbelievable! At one point, the camera panned to Nicolas Sarkozy and he was absolutely dripping in sweat. It must have been so hot for everyone walking in and having to stand there.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Bookworm
Honorary Roadie

Thanks Celtic Chicken!

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 12:32PM »

Also, the announcers said it was about 85 degrees inside that arena without about the same amount of humidity! That's unbelievable! At one point, the camera panned to Nicolas Sarkozy and he was absolutely dripping in sweat. It must have been so hot for everyone walking in and having to stand there.
President Bush took his jacket off immediately after sitting down.

Thank you Lisa Kelly Fan and Brian H

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 01:46PM »

USA wins Gold, Silver AND Bronze in Women's Saber Fencing! 

BEIJING (AP)—Mariel Zagunis stood proudly atop the podium, the first American to do so at these Olympics.

A former president was in the front row—and three red, white and blue flags were rising to the rafters.

“It was a dream come true,” Zagunis said.

See link to the rest of the article: 

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/fencing/news?slug=ap-fen-womenssaber&prov=ap&type=lgns

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 02:55PM »

Wow! A sweep! Cheesy Good for them. Go team USA!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 04:24PM »

Anything on horses or on water.

Ahhhh...water polo?  Cheesy

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 04:31PM »

I have to say that I admire the Chinese for being the kind of people that they are and having respect for all of the nations who walked in. In previous opening ceremonies in previous countries, the USA and other nations have been booed. I find that so childish and disrespectful. I applaud the Chinese for being a proper host country and welcoming them without the booing that has seemed to become so common nowadays.
Yes true

But I think we also need to remember how much effort China has put into this, so I would think that tickets werent just sold to anyone, but they probably screened people big time to make sure no trouble makers or looney tunes got anywhere near such an important event.  Plus I would think people would be somewhat afraid and think twice before booing there, again given how much importance the govt big shots have placed on this and the potential consequences if someone's actions caused them any embarrassment.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 05:05PM »

Yes true

But I think we also need to remember how much effort China has put into this, so I would think that tickets werent just sold to anyone, but they probably screened people big time to make sure no trouble makers or looney tunes got anywhere near such an important event.  Plus I would think people would be somewhat afraid and think twice before booing there, again given how much importance the govt big shots have placed on this and the potential consequences if someone's actions caused them any embarrassment.

That's true. I think it has more to do with the fact that the Chinese and other Asian cultures place a high value on respectful and hospitality, and they can also be very conservative. They're not the type to show that kind of childishness, which I appreciated. There was nothing that annoyed me more than to see my country walking in and hearing people boo. I think that was in Athens, if I remember correctly. Might have been the winter olympics. I don't remember.

Either way, I thought everyone behaved appropriately.

Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 08:35PM »

Well this was the perfect birthday gift for me! I have been waiting 4 years for this to come and here it is! I was so excited and I loved the pyrotechnics (of course!). The whole ceremony was absolutely fantastic and it was the best one I have seen! I couldn't wait till the US and Ireland came marching in. Then when the torch came in and the guy went flying into the air! OMG that was so awesome! Plus, the torch was so cool! This was a birthday I will never forget! Can't wait till the closing ceremony.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 11:34PM by Trouble » Logged

Thanks Lindsey
Lisa_Kelly_fan_forever
Total Fanatic

FaFo...."Why am I so Caramel Cinamonny?"

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 10:12PM »

Phelps got his seventh gold!!!! Grin

MH and Jammers......I cheered for the Netherlands when they walked in! Cheesy  I seem to remember a Dutch win in a swimming event, as well.

Proud to be a FANTIE!!! Grin Grin

A positive attitude may not solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Grin
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 10:20PM »

Yep they did win in the relay swimming!

Thanks Lindsey
Metaldud

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2008, 01:54AM »

They won the 4X100 Free relay, beating out the U.S. and Australia.
07-sara
Bodhrán Player

Smile, you never know who's watching.

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 03:06AM »

Anyone else see the medal ceremony for the mens 400 individual medley.  They were playing the National Anthem for Phelps and they cut the very end of it off.

Happy is what happens, when all your dreams come true!

Sara
Maggie
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 03:18AM »

I have to say that I admire the Chinese for being the kind of people that they are and having respect for all of the nations who walked in.

I didn't watch any of the opening ceremonies and will not watch the Olympics.
OK I gave the link to the Irish team, got it off the internet, but honestly I could not care less who wins what.

Out of respect for Jammalot's request not to mention the politics involved in the Olympics  on this thread, I will put my thoughts elsewhere.

Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 05:56AM »

Anyone else see the medal ceremony for the mens 400 individual medley.  They were playing the National Anthem for Phelps and they cut the very end of it off.
Yes I saw and noted the cut off. But the whole thing sounded a bit off too.

This isnt the first or last foul up with a national anthem. I remember a while back that someone from a small country unexpectedly won and they couldnt find the anthem. But with all the different countries and medal ceremonies, I think a few mistakes are just going to happen.

But I also bet whoever fouled up isnt happy right now. With all the preparation and pride the Chinese leadership have put forth and how truly awesome the opening ceremonies were, you know they arent happy with some foul up like this that can, but shouldnt, happen.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: