Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Olympic Thread  (Read 66261 times)
CRRopes
Total Fanatic

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2008, 12:06AM »

Nastia Liukin got robbed in the balance beam judging! Even the announcers said so! And so did Shawn Johnson. Both of them should have at least gotten 16's. Grrrrr. More judging issues and the Olympics. This is one of the reasons it's been years since I've paid attention to the Olympics. But I'm interested in the women's gymnastics this year. And the soccer too, to a lesser extent.

Chris

celtic_ Jen

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2008, 12:27AM »

I was watching the Olympics today.  Phelps seems unstoppable right now!!!  And, Shawn Johnson is absolutely fantastic on the U.S. gymnastics team.  GO TEAM USA!  Although, I have to admit I’m cheering for Ireland in the equestrian sports. 

However, I can’t believe that, after the 2008 Olympic Games, softball will not be an Olympic sport anymore.  I’ve played softball for a long time and it’s my favorite sport.  So, I am definitely disappointed over this decision.

Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2008, 03:41AM »

However, I can’t believe that, after the 2008 Olympic Games, softball will not be an Olympic sport anymore.  I’ve played softball for a long time and it’s my favorite sport.  So, I am definitely disappointed over this decision.
I dont think baseball & softball have caught on in the rest of the world like their popularity in the USA. In fact, American football hasnt either, as the rest of the world loves soccer. I think that there may be 2 reasons.

First, both sports in the USA involve a LOT of statistics. Batting average, earned run average, Home Runs, etc for baseball and Yards, Yards per carry, TDs, sacks, etc for football. With the rest of the world, it seems their are fewer stats. In soccer you have goals, assists, yellow cards, etc but its far fewer. It just seems that they like to just enjoy the game and not get carried away in analysis, and when they do analyze, its focused on the most important stat: goals.

Second, in American football the player is on offense OR defense. In baseball, although many players do have to play both, pitchers are really only concerned with defense. Yes they do have to hit, but thats considered secondary to how they pitch. In soccer, the only position that is completely defensive is the goalie. Even defensemen have to pass well at times, or know when to rush up to keep the ball in the oposing zone and help the offense.

Hockey is popular in other countries, but its a lot like soccer. Goals, assists, the dreaded +/- stat, minutes played, but again less stats, and the stats that exist tend to be focused on goals. 

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
loveCW

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2008, 06:41AM »

Ok, guys... you're looking at a swimmer who missed the first couple days of the olympics due to beign busy. We arne't going to go into what this does to my mental state. Possible need for therapy.

Michael Phelps is obviously rocking out. Big time.

Katie Hoff isn't doing as well as i hoped. But for a 19 year old, she's doing amazing. I think as the distance of her races go up, she'll do better and better.

I'm thrilled for the WR in the Men's 400 FR Smiley 4 second smash. Cheesy It's amazing!

Anyway... i'm gonna go read more old results.. grr... at least i'll be on top of it now!!!! Cheesy Eyes glued to the computer/ tv. Cheesy

Decode....

Kira_F
Total Fanatic

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2008, 10:48AM »

my signature says it all

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2008, 01:44PM »

The one thing I am glad is that we don't have to be subjected to a certain swimmer this year by the name of Hall.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Bookworm
Honorary Roadie

Thanks Celtic Chicken!

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2008, 07:35PM »

all the girls in the chat right now seem to be falling head over heels for Michael Phelps. LOL

Thank you Lisa Kelly Fan and Brian H

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
Lisa_Kelly_fan_forever
Total Fanatic

FaFo...."Why am I so Caramel Cinamonny?"

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2008, 07:50PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
To tell the truth, I kind of wish I were in there. Grin

Chris.....go soccer!  That's my sport, bro!  But I haven't been able to catch ANY on the TV.  To the web I go, in search of clips!! Grin

Anyone been watching diving?  The Chinese men won earlier today, just as the Chinese women did a little while ago.  The US men were in fifth, but they put up a good fight! Smiley

Proud to be a FANTIE!!! Grin Grin

A positive attitude may not solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Grin
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2008, 08:20PM »

Michael Phelps just blew everyone else out of the water! Broke the WR by almost a full sec! It was awesome!!!!!!!

Thanks Lindsey
Lisa_Kelly_fan_forever
Total Fanatic

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2008, 08:23PM »

Did he?!  And I was up here posting! Embarrassed
Was it a final?  Did he get a gold?
Stupid me, there's a perfectly good TV in this room. Cheesy

No luck finding soccer, but I did get a little funny: Click Heeeere  Wink

Scroll down on the list of videos.  The title is 'If Olympians were stuck on an island..." and it's the sixth to last.

A positive attitude may not solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Grin
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2008, 08:23PM »

He got a Gold alright!

Thanks Lindsey
Lisa_Kelly_fan_forever
Total Fanatic

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2008, 08:26PM »

OOOH!  Yeah! Grin

So did Natalie Coughlin, just now! Smiley

Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2008, 08:29PM »

I know! GO USA!  Grin

Thanks Lindsey
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2008, 08:34PM »

Yes! USA got Gold again!

Thanks Lindsey
Life is Great!
Honorary Roadie

It pays to be a winner.

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2008, 09:02PM »

these people are somthing else

" Winners have two things, definite goals and a burning desire to achieve them."

Slow down if you need to, walk if you must, crawl if you can't do anything else, but don't quit!!

"Pain is temporary, quiting is forever"

Everything Counts

The most important, " ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: