Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How BADLY can you pronounce Méav's name ;)  (Read 44826 times)
Frozen_Rose_of_the_Sea

"I make the angel scream, and the devil cry!"

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 09:09AM »

GAH. My younger sibling can say it perfectly. I just sorta....jumble. Tongue Nice to see others who do the same. Cheesy

"Don't you think that's a little harsh? Killing me because of the way I t-t-t-talk?" - Nero from "Devil May Cry 4"

"This party's gettin' crazy! Let's rock!" - Dante from "Devil May Cry 3"
PDM1114
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 08:29PM »

I know this is an old thread, but I have been searching and wondering, how exactly do you pronounce Meav's last name? If anyone could post a rough phonetic I would greatly appreciate it.
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 08:59PM »

This is as close as I can get it...."Mayve Knee Whale-ca-ha".  Hope this helps!

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
PDM1114
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 10:00PM »

Thank you very much. I had no Idea how to pronounce it. Smiley
tc84
Total Fanatic

"Everywhere you go let your dreams surround you!"

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 03:00AM »

This is as close as I can get it...."Mayve Knee Whale-ca-ha".  Hope this helps!
Woohooo!!! That's nearly the same my Sister and me found out when we watched an Interview (youtube) where she introduced herself...! We had to listen to it about 20 times to try to find out the "nearly" right pronouncing. It was soooo funny!!!
Thank you Kelli!
coco x

"I think as a women we have so many other things to do in life, very important things, but also we have to be mothers and to support our children and guide them. Because (...) we all need guidance, don´t we?"
(C Zeta Jone 2005)
KiernanKate
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 05:47AM »

To go along with Kelli's phonetic of Meav's name, you can also hear Meav pronounce her name in this video.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIC5UQElj_E
PDM1114
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 01:00PM »

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that interview I thought I had seen all of them.
Anderpaw
Total Fanatic

Love the pipes!

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 03:36AM »

This is how I pronounce it to my friends: whale-ka-haa. It's easier for me to say it than spell it!

Lotte
Total Fanatic

We don't need sleep to be dreamers.

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 08:51AM »

Interesting Cheesy For me it's easier to type it, I mean I can pronounce it as well, but typing somehow is easier Wink

http://www.gustavoguimaraes.com.br/arquivo/images/papelbolha.swf
Kudos to Isolda for this! Grin

Rich, thanks for the lovely pic Grin
twhite101

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 12:57PM »

Kelli,

Thanks for the phonetic spelling of Méav's name.  I keep forgetting the right way to say it.   I go back every now and then to her Helix DVD interview, but I'm not listening well enough to write it down.  This will help me to remember it right, because it's simpler and shorter...

- Tony
isle of hope
Total Fanatic

Máiréad rocks!

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 07:10PM »

Nothing is ever said in Gaelic the way it looks.  Cheesy I was wondering how to pronounce her last name myself.  I'm not going to try it anytime soon. lol I know how it feels to have my last name butchered. :p

Bring me your peace, and my wounds, they will heal.
Gail

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 11:11PM »

Actually I guessed the pronounciation right - her last name also. I want to learn other languages, so I first bought a Gaelic "how-to" book at a United Scottish Society Highlands gathering, then learned there's a difference between Scottish & Irish Gaelic, so I got the Irish book the next year. Starting to read & practice the phonics at home - by the time I was aware of Celtic Woman, I was able to think phonically through her whole name. I later heard it pronounced during one of PBS's Celtic Woman concerts, & was thrilled to find out I'd figured it out right !!
Gail

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 11:33PM »

To Isle of Hope -  the closest I can figure to say Maeve's last name  (phonetically) is: "Nee-vol-cah-hah". The "Ni" & "Mhaolchatha" are run together when said. Mh is pronounced "v", th is "h", a is "aw" depending whether long or short vowel in word placement (yes, it gets technical & tricky - I have to read some things two, three or more times over to understand what it's saying) - ao is usually "aow" sound, but some vowels can override others right next to it when grouped together, such as ae, au, ue, etc. Hopefully, that will help you.

I had to drop the book because of other commitments (last year), but I will get back to it eventually. Maeve's fluency in Gaelic is inspiration to me to keep trying - I do want to become fluent in quite a number of foreign languages (& even dialects of those languages in the future).
celticheart18
Honorary Roadie

You'll always have my heart...

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 12:31PM »

i'm not irish by any means but i made it a point to research the proper irish pronunciation of her name. I hate when people mispronounce my name (you'd be surprised how many people put a "y" in Sara, thus transforming my name to 'say-ruh') i just think it is respectful to say someone's name the way it should be said. It took me several days of practicing before i grasped the crazy pronunciation but i was proud of myself when i accomplished it.
CWsenior
Total Fanatic

Me and my wonderful aunt

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 03:22PM »

well more power to all of you, im afraid i might hurt my self if i try saying it lol so ill leave it to the experts.

~ashley~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: