Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rules are Rules  (Read 60300 times)
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« on: August 30, 2008, 08:16AM »

There have been a few "not so subtle" hints dropped that this entire Fun and Games section is a waste of space and detracts from the overall message of this forum.  Personally, I see nothing wrong with giving people a place to have a few chuckles and a little fun. But there have been occasional problems, and I thought it was time I stepped in and said something.

I admire the creativity of some of the games our members have come up with.  I think a few of them are a little silly, but many are pretty cool and can be addictive. In most cases, the person who created the game has laid out specific rules at the very beginning. Sometimes, those rules are amended as time goes by. Those amendments are agreed to by the players, and the game goes on. Occasionally, I have noticed that some members have shown a flagrant disregard for the rules of a specific game. This saddens me, because I thought this section could be largely self-policing. I guess I was being naive.

Our mods and GMs have enough on their plates now, without having to closely monitor each and every post on every game. But I guess I'm going to have to ask the mods to pay closer attention to these threads, and take action when they deem it necessary. When a member posts something off topic, or in violation of the rules of the game, that post will be edited or deleted and the member sent a gentle reminder in a PM. Repeated violations may result in temporary loss of posting privileges.

Also - to save what's left of our moderators' sanity - we're going to start capping off some threads that have gone on forever. We won't arbitrarily lock a thread in the middle of an ongoing game. But I can't ask a mod to read through 1000 pages to resolve some issue that may have come up. If we lock a game, the members are free to start a new version in a new thread. This isn't intended to be punitive - it's just housekeeping.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Integrity.Love.Unity.
Bodhrán Player

So let's go on, let's go on, on and on for love

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 11:53AM »

Hey Rich!!!! I have done some things like that, and I oppologized, but then again, I always try to read the first post, so I know how to play. Thanks for the remeinder. I'll try to be more careful.

Oh, and if you ever need more mods, I'd be happy to help  Grin Wink

MeganDelia
Honorary Roadie

Thanks for the card and CD Mairead!!!

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 01:43PM »

I also get carried away alot and don't follow the rules. I'll try to make sure it doesn't happen anymore.

I'd be happy to help if you need more mods too. Wink

Thanks Mel, for the great banner!! Smiley
~Megan xoxo~
KatieK
Choir Member

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:22AM »

i'm sorry, if i get out of hand too..and of course if you need another mod, I would be happy to help!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 02:04PM by Katiexxx » Logged

ChloeAgnewfan
Honorary Roadie

the only

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 02:19PM »

I think I have slipped up a time or two and a mod has caught me on it, and I thank them for doing so, and to ease their burden a little, I too can also help out if needed. Smiley

Thanks Jeff and Snookie for the banners!
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 12:55PM »

I'm going to step in here a little. What Rich is talking about isn't necessarily that we don't have enough mods. Within the last week 32 topic in the F&G section have been active. I'm not even going to try to count how many posts total were made.

What we're trying to get at is that we're only human... and we can't possibly remember the rules to every game that's currently going on. It's just not feasible. What our mods are looking for is more appropriateness of the post. And I know that a lot of GMs especially use the 'Show new posts since last visit' option so that can see everything all at once. So they don't necessarily see all the game posts within context to know if one post doesn't look like the post above it. Again, they're just checking to make sure that all the posts are within the forum guidelines.

This is just one of those things where we assume that we're all adult enough to follow the rules of the games.

aislin
bob c

North Carolina

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 02:38PM »

As one of the moderators on this Board, I must admit that it is hard to keep pace with all the activity .............but I'll focus more on what's going on here, and work with the members to keep the games "on track".

Feel free to contact me by PM if you have any questions/issues about the rules ......and I'll try to get you answers.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:27PM by bob c » Logged

bob c

North Carolina

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 04:47PM »

As one of the moderators on this Board, I must admit that it is hard to keep pace with all the activity .............but I'll focus more on what's going on here, and work with the members to keep the games "on track".

Feel free to contact me by PM if you have any questions/issues about the rules ......and I'll try to get you answers.

Bob

Just a reminder ........if you have any questions ....re: the game rules, don't hesitate to come talk to me.
Bob

Jammalot
Honorary Roadie

Finally back!

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 03:44PM »

Also - to save what's left of our moderators' sanity - we're going to start capping off some threads that have gone on forever.

Does that mean there'll actually be a winner of the Infamous Random Thread, and we can start all over?? Grin Grin

JK, I think this makes a lot of sense!

Wel, here's a map and here's a bible, if you ever lose your way

By Scott

Ty Rich! Grin
bob c

North Carolina

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 07:21AM »

Just a quick note ......from what I've been able to tell, this very active thread has been running smoothly. I'm not aware of any problems with rules not being followed.

Thanx all for your cooperation.    Smiley

Bob

Little Texas :D
Total Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 11:04PM »

For all the mods out there i agree a 100%with every thing. I some times go a little crazy like every one else. I will try to keep me in a line. I would love to help out by being a mod.

thanks for listening
                     Sammie

Thank you!!!
bob c

North Carolina

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 09:30PM »

Well ......I see that the games are really smokin' tonight .......are we doing OK ?? ........I think so ........ Smiley

.......but please give me a holler if there are any rules questions.

Bob

Marissa

Lisa Kelly of Celtic Woman

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 05:30PM »

Hey moderators,

Thanks for all your hard work on the forum (and the fact you've brought in so much fun!!). You all deserve a lot and I hope that your meaningful work here pays off.

~Marissa  Cheesy

Can't find me in Minnesota? Check your inbox. I may be hidden within a bunch of spam. I may also be found falling off the face of the Earth, clinging on to Ireland, in my imagination, or along some text on a freshly updated blog. Smiley
lovelycherylwinner
Total Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 03:24PM »

I started a new game on the Celtic woman phrase game when Annie got the last game right and for that I apolgize. In the future I will play all the games by the rules. In any forum it is impartive to follow the rules and not step on any toes. Once again I am sorry and will not tle it happen again.

Steven M.

The treasure of true freindship will never lose its glow.
Integrity.Love.Unity.
Bodhrán Player

So let's go on, let's go on, on and on for love

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 11:58AM »

One thing that's kinda bugging me is how people are behaving in COMPETITIVE COUNTING THREAD. Th whole point of the game is to comptete to see who gets higher post, not to block someones posting so they have to start over again. It's kinda mean and it ruins the whole fun of the game

just my opinion..........
-GiGi

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: