Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WMFE & PBS dishonesty  (Read 15311 times)
Maggie
« on: May 26, 2007, 01:07PM »

Well I learned my lesson..........I WILL NEVER PLEDGE AGAIN TO A PBS STATION.

My fears were realized when I received my tickets.
They lied to me on the phone.
Then they lied to my face as I stood in the lobby of WMFE.

They are ONLY concerned with how much money they rake in, they don't care one bit about the poor slobs like me who sent $230 for 2 tickets before the show was even broadcast, hoping to get good seats.

I hold three licenses in the State of Florida, and if I were as unethical as they are I would deserve to lose all three.

Yes PBS hit on a good idea with Celtic Woman, a nice big money-spinner for them.........but I wish CW would get out from under that organization.

Maybe that is on the cards.......we can only hope.
Nero Angelo
Honorary Roadie

You will not forget this devil's power!

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 01:12PM »

It sounds like it'd be difficult; one can't break away from one network and not have a back-up planned. Somehow, I don't see Celtic Woman shows being broadcast on a cable network. They tend to be more interested in soap operas and bizarre cop shows like 24.
Anyway, I'm very sorry to hear about your latest troubles with PBS and I can only hope your next show will be a better experience.

flags
Total Fanatic

I LOVE HAYLEY AND I CAN'T HELP IT!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 01:28PM »

Well I learned my lesson..........I WILL NEVER PLEDGE AGAIN TO A PBS STATION.

My fears were realized when I received my tickets.
They lied to me on the phone.
Then they lied to my face as I stood in the lobby of WMFE.

They are ONLY concerned with how much money they rake in, they don't care one bit about the poor slobs like me who sent $230 for 2 tickets before the show was even broadcast, hoping to get good seats.

I hold three licenses in the State of Florida, and if I were as unethical as they are I would deserve to lose all three.

Yes PBS hit on a good idea with Celtic Woman, a nice big money-spinner for them.........but I wish CW would get out from under that organization.

Maybe that is on the cards.......we can only hope.

Where were your seats?

HOW WILL I SURVIVE UNTIL THE NEXT TOUR ?
<3 Lauren
Total Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 01:31PM »

Aw Maggie! Don't worry, my seats arent that great either....atleast we get to see our CW! Smiley

<3 Lauren

<3
mark250

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 02:56PM »

Sorry to hear about the ticket problem with PBS. I went through Ticket Master and I'm not sure how good of seat I have. They gave me Sec. 104, Row DD, Seat 7. This will be my first time to see CW. Either way I'm sure it will be a great show.

mark
Scott

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 04:35PM »

I've been meaning to post this for some time.  The following is my own experience of pledging to PBS.

I pledged for the show in Wallingford CT through CPTV.  The show was scheduled for March 3rd, I pledged for 2 concert tickets and 2 Meet &Greet passes back in late September, just after the word came on the Forum that the show was March 3rd.  I was assured that earliest pledgers would get the best seats.  Infact, the Celtic Woman website even has this slogan at the top of the page that lists the shows: "Support your local PBS station, and get the best seats in the house!"

Then pledge season started in December.  The ticket agency offered tickets for 4th row at my show, which made me overjoyed.... I figured my seats would be even better.  I even had visions of first row.  When the tickets arrived, I discovered that I had gotten 5th row.  I was disappointed because I had ordered my tickets more than FIVE months before the show, and yet 2 months after I pledged, the ticket agency was selling seats in front of my eventual seat.  I felt like I was being ripped off, and I said I wouldn't pledge to PBS again.  The show came and went and the seats were still excellent, and I enjoyed the show immensely from the 5th row.  Plus, talking to someone during intermission who had front row, apparently the front row seats in that venue were just a little too close with the stage being a little high, so fifth row was actually near perfect.  I felt better about the whole thing.  Infact, I enjoyed the experience enough to want to do it again.

Then there was my second show, at Manchester NH through NH Public Television.  I was a guest of someone else who had likewise pledged for tickets and M&G passes for the two of us.  When his tickets arrived in the mail, we had gotten first row center!!  It couldn't have been better.  Plus, we talked to other people around us in the front row, and it became clear that many if not all of the M&G holders were given front row at that venue.  So, those who had paid the most had gotten the best seats.  Which is fair enough.

Your results may vary depending on which PBS affiliate is handling the pledges.  Looking back now, I feel that I was treated more than adequately by PBS at the two shows I have attended so far (and the Meet &Greet at Wallingford MORE than made up for any issues I could ever have had with the concert seating).  Admittedly, I have heard horror stories about pledging.  The Boston M&G, through WGBH TV, was more expensive than mine for Wallingford, yet I have been told that the M&G was very, very disappointing.  Pledging for tickets at certain venues in the Western US required a donation of $1000, which is beyond insane.  And of course there is the case of this Florida PBS affiliate...I checked the seating chart for the Orlando show, and I have to agree that the seating given to Maggie and Lauren is terrible, especially if Maggie was an early pledger.  I just wish to present a balanced view of the situation, as I have experienced it.

Incidentally, about the concerns of watching CW perform in an arena: I was at the Verizon Arena in Manchester, and the acoustics were superb, and the lighting was absolutely incredible.  I hope you all enjoy the Orlando show!

Maggie
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 04:49PM »

Where were your seats?

Oops sorry!

I posted that bit under "Orlando Tickets".

They are 111 Row DD seats 11 & 12.

I have a seating plan and they would be great tickets for a basketball game
but not for a concert. (Don't like basketball anyhow!)

In future, if I can't buy tickets direct or from Ticketmaster, I won't be going to any more shows.

WMFE are on my s*** list, if you hadn't guessed!!!
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 04:49PM »

I did not pledge to PBS and took my chances buying a ticket via regular means. My seat was WAY FAR away from stage. The PBS people were close. I decided then that for the next CW concert I would pledge enough money to get with the PBS seats.

I have had a distrust of PBS ever since they dumbed Louis Rukeyser. Some of you may remember his "Wall Street Week" show every Friday night. He had been with PBS a very long time. Then he had health issues for a while. Then after he returned they canned him. Perhaps there is more to the story, I don't know. But it seems to me that a loyal and long time PBS personality got dumped after becoming sick at an older age. His show was the best on tv. He was a very smart guy, and he was able to explain the business and finance concepts in a way that anyone could understand, and he did it with corny humor. It was great!

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Maggie
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 04:58PM »

I hope you all enjoy the Orlando show!

There are two absolute certainties about the Orlando Show, Scott.........

The ladies and the whole show will be FABULOUS, and........

We WILL enjoy ourselves! Won't we, gang?
Scott

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 05:05PM »

I'm sure you will enjoy the show.  Smiley

To those of you going to Orlando who have NOT seen Celtic Woman in concert yet.... you are going to LOVE it!!!  Grin

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 05:25PM »

We WILL enjoy ourselves! Won't we, gang?
You betcha!

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
KILARNEY06

Some F.O.O.L.S never learn

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 05:27PM »

We will all Have a great time.

I have never met a man who has given me as much trouble as myself.
<3 Lauren
Total Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 05:35PM »

Méav is going to be there right, Maggie? LOL In that case, Yep we will have an améaving time!

<3 Lauren

<3
flags
Total Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 05:48PM »

I pledged $175.00 to PBS in Cincinnati (channel 48) in December which was on the first day of ticket sales and received a pair of tickets in the 4th row from the stage in the pit. In early March there was a repeat of the show and this time it was $250.00 for a pair of tickets.
Being nosey i asked  some people in the first and second rows when they purchased their tickets and they said in March. So it does seem as if PBS does not do the first come first serve bit but rather the more $$$ you spend the better your seats no matter when you order them. This was the only way to get tickets as ticketmaster did not handle them here.
When I asked about Meet and Greet I was told there were only ten pair available and they were already sold yet they never mentioned these tickets on either of the two begathons so that makes me wonder who got them. The big bucks donors maybe.

flags
Total Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 05:51PM »

They also kept telling me the tickets would be mailed out shortly when I asked in December and again in February. I received the tickets exactly two weeks prior to the April 2nd show. Now this makes me think they held all of the tickets and sent out the best seats to the highest donors as I received mailings asking for a donation in January and February.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: