Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boise, Idaho Show  (Read 8770 times)
celloSteel

« on: May 27, 2007, 09:23AM »

I just realized that after I posted my review of the Boise, Idaho show I forgot to post it here as well.  Undecided Here goes!

This past year has been a complete roller coaster. I just finished my senior year of college and can honestly say, I have never worked so hard in my life. I have also never been so emotionally, physically, spiritually, and mentally focused. That type of focus can really drain a person and I often questioned my ability to overcome what seemed to be impossible. However, I made it and the struggle was completely worth every penny, every minute, and every ounce of strength. I want to express my deep appreciation to all forum members for every interesting topic, every humorous post, every supportive and kind word, and of course for sharing your love of Celtic Woman. The forum has provided me with a getaway where I can take a break from life, have a little comic relief, and form bonds of friendship with those who share an undying musical passion. I also want to thank David Downes for his musical genius and for being the backbone of Celtic Woman. Lastly, I must express my gratitude for Celtic Woman: the reason for our smaller bank accounts (but worth every cent), our anticipation, our anxiety, our joy, and of course our silliness.

So, here begins my review of the Boise, Idaho Celtic Woman performance on May 10, 2007. I won't review in detail every song performed, just the ones I remember the most about.  The day of the show was absolutely crazy. I went to BSU to tie up some loose ends in preparation for graduation. As I arrived, I noticed the CW tour buses which of course made me giddy as a school girl. If I was this excited to see just their tour buses, I wondered what kind of blubbering mess I would be that night. Then I saw some legs sticking out of the storage compartment under the bus. A torso soon appeared followed by shoulders and finally a head. I swear it was Helen Kelly but I was too far away to be positive.

My brother arrived later that afternoon after driving two hours to attend the concert with me. We picked up the fruit arrangement RFJ, Kelli, and I purchased for the girls. My friend, who is house manager at the Morrison Center informed me that I might be able to personally deliver the gift. However, when we arrived Celtic Woman management wouldn't allow me to deliver it. My friend did deliver it and returned letting me know the girls were currently in hair and makeup and that if they got done soon enough before the show began, they would meet me. I paced the lobby, scanned the merchandise table and purchased a concert program, met up with RFJ, and then I paced some more. To my great disappointment, five minutes until show time my friend said there would not be enough time to meet the girls.   While that bit of bad news left me a little saddened, euphoria soon returned as I took my seat, the audience lights dimmed, and a misty darkness filled the stage.

The Sky, The Dawn, and the Sun: I turned to my brother in increased anticipation, "Here they come!" I said in a hushed voice. A single light shone upon stage like the harsh glare of the moonlight. I heard the first strains of The Sky, The Dawn, and the Sun as Mairead emerged from the darkness, drawing her bow slowly across the strings. The light silhouetted her petite form but her shadow stretched across the stage exaggerating her height. As she came further and further downstage I noticed another light above her head producing a halo effect over the first visible Celtic Angel. Another light descended over the audience like the first rays of dawn spreading over the earth, causing the same warming effect on my heart but at the same time, sending chills up and down my spine. I felt as if I were sitting upon a hillside watching the sun rise, basking it its light and feeling a great sense of satisfaction as it became real to me that I was actually at my first Celtic Woman concert. One by one, each Celtic Woman floated onto the stage amidst the darkness. The soothing harmonies drifted through the air and I tried to pick out each individual voice...there's Chloe, there's Hayley, there's Orla, and then The Voice I had been anticipating the most...Lisa. Before the show I was wondering if the girls would sound as good live as they do on their recordings. Having recorded a couple of cds I know there are a lot of little adjustments that can be made on a cd to make something sound better than it really is. Celtic Woman sounded just as good as any recording and probably better because seeing them in person made it an amazing experience. The heavenly voices, the great arrangements, the wonderful musicians, the stage set-up, and even the lighting made it perfect. To give a brief description of the girls, each was wearing what appeared to be a whitish, periwinkle blue gown, quite similar to the ones in ANJ. The only thing I noticed to be different was that Orla's hair was shorter.

As Mairead began the faster fiddle section of the song I expected everyone to begin clapping along. To my disappointment, no one did. I didn't want to be the only clapping (stupid, I know) so I sat tapping my leg. I did redeem myself later in the show after I whispered to my brother that I would not let another of Mairead's songs go by without clapping along. As she pranced across the stage I noticed what I at first thought was a white stocking all the way up her thigh but then realized it was an ace wrap to protect her injured leg. I could tell she was holding back but with a huge smiler upon her face and a sparkle in her eye, she danced, jumped, and bounded energetically across the stage. She is definitely no sissy. At the conclusion of the first song the audience erupted into a tremendous applause. I must agree with RFJ that I felt cheated when our applause was cut off by the next song. As the girls hurried on and off stage I wished we would be allowed to give them the full applause they deserved. But, I also understand time constraints so I soon got over it.

Caledonia: As Lisa appeared chills went coursing through my body again. Actually, for the remainder of the evening I had permanent goose bumps. The choir began to sing "da dee da dee da" as they walked on stage behind Lisa. The women were all dark-haired and wore black gowns and I recognized all from ANJ, including Helen. The men wore black and I recognized all but one. The one I didn't recognize was very tall and lanky with long hair, about to his shoulders. I think he was on ANJ but had shorter hair then. As Lisa's voice pierced my soul the rest of the audience disappeared and Lisa and I were the only ones left in the room. Well, that is what it seemed like anyway. Lisa did the typical arm sweep as she sang about finding other friends along the way. I felt like the friend she was referring to as I smiled with her because she "kissed the fellas and left them crying." I also wanted to shout out "you'll never become a stranger to me, Lisa!" but restrained myself and cheered with all my might as the song ended.

The Butterfly: As Mairead came on stage she "ushered" Lisa off with her violin. In a somewhat bent position she took one step toward Lisa and hit the string with her bow producing a short, harsh note. Lisa looked back at Mairead, teasing her with a challenging smile. Mairead took another step toward Lisa nad hit the string again. This teasing continued until LIsa had nowhere else to go but off stage. It was funny to watch. The song began as Mairead rocked her body back and forth with the smooth, mellow phrases. The serene smile and fluid body movements suddenly changed to a mischievous grin and more rigid stance as she transitioned into the faster section of the song. Mairead reminds me of one of those toy cars you have to pull back across a surface to wind up the wheels and then set it down and off it goes! As she bobbed up and down along with the beat I could see the excitement in her face as she waited for the right moment to take off across the stage. Twirling, sliding, and jumping she went from one percussionist to the other, interacting with each and they responded in kind. Hair flying ever direction, she triumphantly concluded the song by throwing her bow arm high the air. I was so busy watching her animated face I forgot to even clap along. "Next time for sure," I promised myself.

The Prayer: This song has been one of my favorites since I first hear Andrea Bocelli and Celine Dion sing it many years ago. I even wrote a cello solo to accompany two of my friends who performed it at a talent show. Needless to say, they won.  As the song was about to begin a little ten-year old girl sitting next to me leaned over to her father and said, "This is one of my favorite songs, Dad. Thanks for bringing me." It was so adorable and made my heart melt. I hope Celtic Woman realizes how much of a positive influence they are, especially on the youth of our society. There were a lot of teenagers there, male and female. Anyway, it is kind of hard to describe Chloe's voice. It is very mature for her age but there is still a youthful quality to it, which I why I think it is appealing to so many people. She also has a very powerful stage presence, is a great performer, and really knows how to connect with the audience.

Orinoco Flow: As the syncopated drum beats began I wondered how many people would really mind if I went up on stage to participate in the Orinoco Wave. Since I was in the very middle section and halfway back from the stage I realized it would probably be too much of a hassle to climb over everyone. So, I sat in my seat singing along and waving my arms like a crazy woman. When I first saw these musical antics on ANJ, I thought they were corny but they slowly grew on me. Now I can't listen to or watch the song without doing them. My brother gave me a funny look and we both laughed after I did a very wide O. wave and almost smacked him in the face. It was surreal to witness these "moves" we have all come to know and love in person, watching Orla, Hayley, and Lisa swing their arms back and forth, cast sidelong glances at each other, wink at audience members, and do the notorious Orinoco Wave, which of course only made me more giddy. However, I think someone should have slapped me back into submission when they did the Orinoco four-step because I think I love it even more than the Orinoco Wave. Unfortunately, the song had to end.

Granuaile's Dance: I didn't notice Mairead sneak on stage as the low rumbling of drums and the airy notes of the pipe floated through the air. She drew her bow through the air as if it were thick molasses, firs to the right, then to the left, and straight up in the air. Throughout the slower section of the song it looked to me as if Mairead was in her own little world, swaying easily back and forth with the beat and smiling to herself with each slide or trill. As I anticipated the tempo change I knew she had to be hurting this far into the show and wondered how she would manage such frantic and scattered movements with the limited amount of stage space. With a sly look aimed directly at the audience and a burst of endless energy she kicked it into high gear. I can assure you she used every open space on that stage and showed no pain whatsoever. With rosin dust flying and bow hairs splitting, the audience finally got the hint to clap along, myself included. Small as she may be I have yet to see a fiddle player with such incredible stage presence, such fun and energetic body language, and ability to get an audience to respond. She is the perfect example of an entertainer and an inspiration to musicians of all kinds. With a final yell, Mairead ended the song and the rhythmic clapping turned into deafening applause.

The Blessing: Some of my favorite songs Lisa Kelly sings are the ones with just her and the piano. No frills or fancy orchestration, just simple. I was disappointed to see someone onther than David Downes at the piano. He is an integral part of this show and it just isn't quite the same without him. Also, he is an amazing pianist and no one accompanies Lisa like David. They seem to have a very personal connection with each other that is apparent when they perform together. While Feargal Murray does an amazing job accompanying the ladies, I missed that intimate musical connection Lisa and David share. Lisa of course performed perfectly. Every word she sang was a blessing for me to hear and I think it is safe to say she has definitely blessed all of our lives with her gift. With the final piano chord Lisa blew a kiss to the audience. My seating put me smack dab in the middle and right about eye level with Lisa so I was the one she blew the kiss to. Sorry RFJ, but I caught the kiss and put in in my program to keep forever! The audience went wild but kept their applause at a softer drone in order to maintain the reverence Lisa left with us.

Scarborough Fair: This is one of my favorite songs Hayley sings. With the limited stage room she soon reached the end of the platform where she remained until the conclusion of the song. With her soft and graceful gestures and angelic look upon her face, she wowed the audience, especially my brother. He had a pretty stunned look on his face. I introduced him to CW a couple of months ago but he has had very limited access since I have my cds and dvds in Boise with me and he lives a couple of hours away. I left the first CW cd on the computer back home so he has only been listening to that. Even though I have been trying to convert him to a Lisa fan, his favorite was Chloe...that is, until the concert. Once he saw and heard Hayley, he was smitten.

Mo Ghile Mear: This was a great song to end the first half of the concert. It began with a single drum beat following each phrase the choir sang. Lisa, Chloe, Hayley, and Orla stood stiffly on stage with serious looks on their faces. They turned outward, then inward with each consecutive drum beat. They abruptly turned to face the audience and smiles erupted on their faces as the song transformed from a majestic chorus to a swaying melody. When Lisa sang the words, "Now the time has come to leave. Keep the flame and still believe," my heart dropped. Was this the end of the concert? I think most of the audience had the same mind set because I noticed a dismal pall fall over them. I grabbed my program and found the concert set list. Luckily it was only intermission. I also remembered how many forum members said it isn't over until Spanish Lady. The percussionists did a great job on their solos and Mairead gave us a final burst of energy before intermission. I laughed as one of the choir members was a little off in his choreography and kept turning the wrong way. But, he soon got back on track and I sat back to enjoy the remainder of the song. The crowd gave an immediate standing ovation while the girls waved and bowed, and the anticipation and excitement for the second set was evident in everyone's eyes.

At intermission my brother and I went back to the lobby and he immediately purchased a picture of Hayley.    And, this post is too long so it will be in parts.  

Part II Will be in my next post.

celloSteel

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 09:23AM »

Dulaman: Hayley opened the second set with Dulaman. I love hearing Gaelic songs and try to sing along. But, I usually make up my own words because I don't know what they are really saying. As she walked through the "corridor" of men and began to sing I did a double take because she sounded very similar to Maev. HOwever, the more she sang the more she sounded like herself. I did notice a big difference in the way Hayley flirted with the choir boys compared to the way Maev acts. Maev definitely has an older, more sexy and teasing quality that I really see in her eyes. Hayley seemd a little hesitant and embarrassed by flirting so it seemed almost awkward. It was also very cute and endearing. Maybe she just has a more shy personality or maybe it is just the age difference. I certainly don't flirt the same as when I was eighteen.

Newgrange: One of the great things about CW is that each individual voice is so different yet they blend so perfectly. Orla has the dreamy, mystical voice none of the other girls have and this song showcased that perfectly. At the end of the song, with dimples showing and a big smile on her face, Orla graciously bowed and remained on stage for the next number.

At the Ceili: This song is my favorite, probably because it has my name in it. It proves the musical genius of David Downes because it has all the components of the perfect song: a catchy melody, great harmonies, a story, and great instrumentation. The theatricality of the girls also adds a lot to the song. Lisa, Hayley, and Orla came traipsing down stage wearing simple pink dresses and began flipping their skirts from side to side. Lisa wasn't flipping her dress as high as in ANJ and probably for good reason. She showed quite a bit of leg in ANJ    and was probably playing it safe. Her enthusiasm was still apparent as she swung her hips and spun in circles. It was so exciting to see Lisa's facial expressions in person: the hopeless shrug because her true love has left her, the doubtful side to side look she shoots the other two girls about her love coming back before the hay needs saving, the sexy walk forward as she explains how it's hard to love somebody who isn't around, and the mischievous look in her eyes as she divulges her plan of meeting someone else at the Ceili. Then of course there is the pitiful look as she expresses her longing for her true love during the long winter as Orla and Hayley console her, the dreamy look when she thinks about being in his arms, and the giddy look when she thinks about kissing him. As Orla sang her ballade about finding her love at the Ceili, I found myself a little sad and hoped she really would find her love that night. I laughed at myself for thinking this song was actually real, but that is just how great the CW performers are. They make you believe what they are singing about.

Since this review is so long  , I will try to sum up the last songs briefly.

Carrickfergus: This is a sad song!   Orla really put her heart and soul into it.

The Voice: Amazing, powerful, beautiful.

Sing Out: An amazing song. You could tell the girls were having a great time on stage and they never seemed to tire. Their energy and excitement only grew as the night got later. Mairead raised her bow in the air in a clapping motion and I think I was the clapper starter! I swear I was the first one clapping along. I think the audience thought this was the last song because all of the ladies were on stage, they were very into it, and in all honesty, it would be a great ending. I could tell some people next to me thought it as the finale so I leaned over and whispered, "they aren't done yet."

You Raise Me Up: As this song ended the audience prepared to clap their hearts out but I said again, "this isn't the end." I got some strange looks from those around me like I was crazy but they were thrilled when the concert kept going.

Mo Ghile Mear: As the CW began this song, I knew the end was near. Of course I didn't want it to be over, but it was inevitable. As the choir belted out the chorus and the bass drum rang through the air, Lisa and Chloe stepped to the front, emotionless. As the next drum beat rang, they stepped to the side, then back, then turned and faced each other. The music picked up and everyone began to sing. It was hilarious to see Chloe get right in LIsa's face, wrinkle her nose impishly, and look at her as if to issue a challenge of who would sing with the most energy and finish with the most enthusiasm. Lisa looked right back into Chloe's eyes with a grin on her face and nodded her head as if saying, "bring it on!" Well, I'm not sure who won, but they both brought it big time. It was incredible and a perfect segway into Spanish Lady, which of course was the final number.

When it was all over the audience offered a final standing ovation which was warmly received as all the ladies blew kisses, waved, and shouted thanks to the audience. I sat in my seat overwhelmed and overjoyed. I have seen a lot of concerts and this took the cake. It was the most incredible performance I have ever seen. I kept sitting there hoping it really wasn't over. After most everyone had gone my brother pinched me back into reality and suggested we leave before security kicked us out. We walked slowly outside still savoring what would know only be a memory, but an unforgettable one. We headed toward the buses hoping to see the girls but the security guard came and told us to leave. We watched from a distance for about thirty minutes but the buses were situated so you couldn't see when the girls came out. Three boys about the age of 17, who I would normally view as "punks" walked up and stood next to me. Thinking it strange that they were at a concert such as this I asked what they thought of the performance. I think my mouth hit the ground when the said they loved it. At that moment Ray and Nicky walked out and the boys dared me to go over and say hello. Seeing no security guard around, I walked right up to them and thanked them for an unforgettable evening. They also thanked me for my attendance and support and after setting their beers down, offered their autographs which I gladly accepted. As I watched the buses pull slowly away, I finally realized that my chance to meet the girls was really gone and surrendered to my brother's urging that we go home. It was almost depressing that it was all over so I went home and watched ANJ.

Anyway, that is my review. It was an amazing and very emotional experience and I can't wait until next year! Everyone who has yet to attend a show, have the time of your life! 

AmandaLKlvr

Let me sail, Let me sail, with the Orinoco Flow!!

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 10:27PM »

WOW! That was written so well!! It was like I was there!  Grin I hope you get to meet the girls someday. As I hope to too.

.-Amanda-.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: