Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One last word (if I may)....  (Read 2975 times)
CTofer

« on: May 27, 2007, 01:26PM »

While I don't pretend to speak for CW or it's management, and with all due respect to the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinion, I thought it appropriate also to share some other thoughts to give consideration to in regards to some people's frustration with CW managment over gift giving and/or PBS problems.
    In the past, CW gave plenty of opportunity for fans to say hello, give a gift, or get an autograph. Security was not much of a problem then, and the fans who were given such an opportunity were generally very polite and respectful and followed the basic guidelines of letting the girls approach them as they exited the theater and headed for the tour buses. But due to the fact that some overzealous fans (not to mention a few stalkers on occasion, quite frighteningly enough) began abusing that privelage and opportunity, CW was forced to tighten security to the extent that such opportunities are very rare, if not simply infeasible anymore.  I don't pretend to know all the facts surrounding this latest thing with the fruit basket, and I'm not sure what post you were referring to in particular, Flags, but I think it may be rather presumptuous, personally, to automatically assume that CW management or the ladies themselves are out to deliberately dismiss fans away over something like presenting a gift. I have followed CW since they first began and from personal experience and knowing what kind of people they are, I would wholly reject such a notion.
   Along those same lines, it would also be good for us to consider that the forum gets read by an awful lot of people, and there are hundreds of us who are rather dedicated fans.....so when someone posts something about being able to present a gift basket or a gift of some kind in person to the ladies, you're going to have hundreds of other folks who read about it and dozens of folks who automatically assume they can do the same thing at the concert they're going to attend and the tour manager or whomever the person talked to then gets bombarded at the next however many tour stops with requests for the same thing.  I think that kind of ripple effect is something important that each of us need to be aware of whenever we put a post up. Aside from the Meet and Greets, CW has provided many of us fans with the opportunity to meet the ladies at signings such as at Barnes and Noble and Wal-Mart. Such signings do not cost hundreds or thousands of dollars.  If you're unhappy with the cost of the meet and greet tickets, talk to your local PBS station. 
    As far as PBS goes, it's important to understand that different stations operate in slightly different ways, depending on which station you deal with and who you talk to at the station. Maggie and a few others have already alluded to this. You'll get people who do things a little differently, who run the station a little differently, and as in the case of some folks who've already shared, inevitably you'll get someone who thinks they know how those things work, and yet really don't. (If you don't think it's possible for someone to be that seemingly smart and yet actually be that ignorant and clueless about what's really going on, go to Washington D.C. and talk to any number of politicians there; there's more people like that than any of us would ever believe.)  Be patient with PBS if you have a fairly decent station, and try your best to work with them. There have been a number of instances in the past where the people at the station were simply unaware of how some particular promotion worked or they weren't trained properly or they didn't get the proper information or whatever. If memory serves correct, PBS was in rather deep financial trouble before CW came along; so there isn't one single person right now working for PBS with anything whatsoever at all to gain by deliberately deceiving someone who does business of any kind with them, whether it's someone pledging money or a fellow community organization or buisness wanting to work with them. That's not to say it isn't possible, but given their sad state financially prior to CW, I would be more likely to give PBS the benefit of the doubt and say it was bad communication between staff members or some misunderstanding and misinterpretation of information rather than a deliberate shot of mud in the eye of someone pledging money to the station. Maybe I'm naieve that way, but if I put myself in PBS's shoes, the most normal, obvious, logical thing for me to do to anyone putting money into my pocket is to treat them as my best friend so they'll come back and do it again, as opposed to deliberately doing something that would push them away and badly damage my reputation as a station for months, if not years, to come.
   I realize some of you spent large sums of money, and so if you honestly feel you've been misled or cheated out of seats or tickets or whatever, write or call the station manager or  other appropriate persons and take whatever measures are appropriate.
    Speaking of CW in general though,  I would say this: don't go jumping the gun. As a fan, we look at the group only through our eyes and merely our own personal interaction with them. CW in contrast has to look at things from the viewpoint of interacting with hundreds and thousands of fans at the same time, still try to keep CW accessible and yet keep their safety and privacy intact at the same time. Be patient, work within the guidelines they ask you to follow. If you have any questions, write to them or email them, they'll be happy to help you.

Rich, if you feel you should delete this post given that you locked a thread dealing with these issues already, I understand.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 01:29PM by Christopher » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: