Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jobs - Work - etc.  (Read 95795 times)
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 02:07PM »

I know this thread was a little old, but let me throw my 2c in.

I've been unemployed for almost 2 years.  The unemployment office says to get "training".  OK, training to do what?  I have a bachelors degree in civil engineering.  I've worked in the construction field for over 30 years, including running a couple of moderately large companies.  (that gives you an idea of how old I am)  Construction obviously went down the tubes a couple years ago, and it's going to be a while until it picks back up.  

What am I supposed to do?  I'm lucky that my wife still has a good job with benefits, so I can make it to a few concerts every year.  Quite honestly, I don't expect to ever get a "real" job again.   My field is dead, and I'm too old.

I have been unemployed for 4 years and the signs at businesses and postings on job boards and more through agencies are that just postings!! No rush to offer jobs!!  I know that for a fact others who have jobs and get to read others resumes are just giving excuses and most are from agencies who look at words and don't know the businesses that contact them. Yes we all or most of us work on the computer and software's. Yes some are on the advance level on some of these. Example would be Excel and other can program software's and those that are not store bought.
More people applying for the jobs they know or others, yet "Employers" are being more picky even "temp/contract" and minimum wage. All jobs are not "permanent" anymore!!  So just cause the signs are posted on windows and on job boards doesn't mean they are hiring any human!!! Some a will stay open longer cause of special skills and training. Including those from other countries applying here!!!  
As for job training well that is bait and switch too. Train for what?? Learning another language or two Huh?  It comes too when and I mean when the economy improves. I still look 5 days a week and submit though most I am over qualified for or under qualified yet it mean pay the money or accept what is offered.  I have not been offered to accept just excuses!!.
 California is bad and with illegal aliens to deal with. For those who have job, I say good yet be prepare for the day you told you don't. Don't be comfy and keep options open.  
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:11PM by Shywolf(Craig) » Logged
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 06:25PM »

Greencastle, PA. - Food Lion distribution center hiring order selectors.
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 03:36PM »

Holland Trucking to add 1,100 drivers this year in the midwest and southeast.

Peterbilt (truck manufacturer) to add 1,100 jobs in Denton, TX., in the coming weeks and double the work force by the end of July.

Wabash National (trailer manufacturer) to add 200 jobs at Lafayette, IN., plant.  (100 this year, 100 later)

(www.thetrucker.com)
greenfire6
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2011, 10:38PM »

Fox News is reporting that Family Dollar will be openning 900 new stores and hiring 9000 workers starting in 2011. Jobs available are out at the stores and up at corporate.

Family Dollar's main rival, Dollar General has similair plans, according to the report.
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 02:37PM »

Schneider National hiring 300 drivers in TX, OK, NM.  (The Trucker newspaper)
There is still a nationwide shortage of truck drivers, and will be for some time.

I saw a Help Wanted sign at a Dairy Queen in a small midwest town recently -- NO!  I won't tell where because I may want the job myself.  Ice cream / banana splits / blizzards / ice cream cakes -- yummm!   Aaah, the DQ diet. 
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 08:02AM »

Salem, Virginia -- Atlas Warehouse now hiring -- sign says pay starts at $12 per hour.  Hmmmm!

After spending 7 hours there last night for a 2 hour unload, I can verify they need more help.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:22PM by Jim M. » Logged
dragonflyshy

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2011, 08:09PM »

I have been out of the work force for 11 years taking care of my Mom.  She passed last month. Cry
Now I am going back to school to get my GED.  I hope it will help me get a good job!
Seems weird to be back in school. Undecided
Sandy
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2011, 06:34PM »

Sandy - so sorry about the loss of your mom.  I'm sure she appreciated everything you did to help her.  Good luck with school and your job search.

Lincoln, Nebraska - Verizon call center has a big banner on the side of the building - Seeking "Call Center Professionals".

Bolingbrook, IL. - I-55 Truck Stop hiring server and cashier. (exit 267)

Several fast food places in service areas on the PA and Ohio turnpikes have Help Wanted signs posted.  (last week)

"JOB OUTLOOK RISES AS REPORTS SUGGEST MORE HIRING" - (TheTrucker.com)

Truck Driver Training -- No need to relocate with some of the training companies.  They will provide a bus or plane ticket to their city and also give you a place to stay while training.  I went through the C.R. England school in Salt Lake City in 2004.  They have a dorm and restaurant on site and the school takes about 3 weeks.  Then you go out on the road for a while with a trainer and later you go solo.  You need very little of your own money to do this.  (crengland.com)  There is still a big shortage of drivers.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:56PM by Jim M. » Logged
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2011, 06:41PM »

FreightCar America to add 200 jobs at Virginia plant  (Trains Magazine online).
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 01:25PM »

Huntsville, TX. - big banner on fence at the state prison says they need Correctional Officers.
greenfire6
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2011, 08:13PM »

Question: What did Dale get after 38 years and 362 fire jumps?

Answer: LOL! A pint of rum in a brown paper bag!

Seriously:
www.nytimes.com/2011/10/03/us/record-making-smoke-jumper-makes-his-last-official-leap.html

If you're interested in a job that is more of an adventure:

http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/people/employment/index.html

Loads more info here: http://wildlandfire.com/Default.htm
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:25PM by greenfire6 » Logged
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2011, 01:06PM »

I am seeing more Help Wanted signs than I can keep up with.

Deschler, Neb.  -- Renke Co. hiring.

Still a lot of driving jobs out there -- training available. 
Get in on all this fun and excitement.
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2011, 09:46AM »

Portersville, PA.:  (possibly named for Scott Porter?  Or, more likely, Lisa Kelly Porter! Wink)

Portersville Valve Co. - sign out front says "Machinist Needed"

John Brown Trucking - "Drivers Wanted"
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2011, 06:29PM »

C.R. England trucking co. is offering CDL training for ZERO* tuition (usually $2,995.00) for classes starting Dec. 27th, 2011.
(They sent me an email about this today.)  They want a 6-month work commitment.  If interested, call 1-888-537-2995.
(*$50 admin. fee due upon arrival.)  This may be on their website, too.  www.crengland.com    (I did not look.)

I went to this school a few years ago.  I think it is a very good school.
There is still a nationwide driver shortage, so, if you want to work, or need to work, this may be an option for you.
Patti Plays Pipes

though hope is frail it's hard to kill...<3

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2011, 10:24PM »

Sounds like allot of need for drivers

Patricia~Patti! * I play pipes & harp!

Thank you Hayley! xxxxxxx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: