Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jobs - Work - etc.  (Read 95086 times)
Jim M.
Choir Member

« on: November 09, 2008, 11:23AM »

I've read posts from members who have lost jobs, are looking for new jobs or better jobs; some are having a tough time.
Personally, I have changed direction a few times.  I have not always driven a truck.  For now, it is OK for me, but I don't plan to do this forever.  (My goal is to win the lottery and retire!)

Anyway, as I travel around the country, I see opportunities for those who might be able to relocate or change career paths.
I saw a large billboard near Panama City the other day for Eastern Shipbuilding - "hiring all positions".  I have seen signs on Wal-Mart distribution centers, manufacturing plants, retail stores, and other businesses, too.  There are a lot of trucking companies looking for drivers, and other help (mechanics), too.  And, you don't need to be a big, burly guy to drive.  There are a lot of ladies out here now, and some of them aren't very big.  Decent money can be made if you can be away from home overnight, a few nights each week, or for a few weeks.  As of today, I have been out five weeks, but that is my choice as I am trying to get around the country as much as I can and meet forum members before winter weather slows me down.  I have saved enough to take the winter off if I want, but my plans are not firm right now.

I realize that some of you have family obligations that I don't have to worry about and that can make change tough, but it is something to think about.  Good luck to all of you.
Hannahlmatt
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 09:21PM »

My dad lost his job back in July. He had his first interview last week!!!! It's taken awhile to get anywhere.... I guess everyone has been waiting to see who would be elected President.

Please pray for us, because Dad has to go to Brazil to help his parents with the seminary where they live. He's leaving early on Tuesday. Also pray that he'll get a job soon..... No one here is hiring at all.

Hannah

skybuffalo

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 03:45PM »

Jim,
Thank you for your heart felt posting. I am one of those impacted but it has worked out well for me. We sold our home in Kansas and moved to be with family in West Virginia. After four months without the corporate stress (I was a director of manufacturing), I have lost 30 lbs and no longer need sleeping pills.  Last week I even had the best physical in years. While teaching online courses does not pay as well, I am definitely much happier. We are lucky enough to have planned well and good savings to cover us for a while, it will only be a matter of time before it all levels out.

I wish everyone the very best in these difficult times. Ron
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 07:27PM »

Thanks, skybuffalo.  I was in New Orleans today and saw several signs and banners with "Now Hiring" on them.  The guy that unloaded my trailer said he had moved from Dallas a few weeks ago and that there is a lot of work available in N.O.  I also saw similar signs in MS and here in Alabama where I am tonight.

Hannah - Best wishes to you, your dad and your family!
Joan
Total Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 03:31PM »

It is a very difficult time to be unemployed. Fortunately my husband and I do still have our jobs. However, we do know several friends that are struggling to find work. I do know how it feels because my husband was a plant engineer and lost his job a few years ago. It took 9 months to find another job and it was not in his expertise, but it’s a job. I pray that anyone out there who is looking for work is able to find something during this difficult time.
Joan
willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 09:49AM »

Thank you for your post, Jim.  I have been looking for work since February.  It is tough out there right now.   Sad

During one interview, the lady speaking with me said that they received over 200 resumes for one position.  I was one of the top five, but the job was given to someone else. 

It's like the Greek Myth of Sisyphus - condemned to roll a great boulder to the top of a hill. Only every time Sisyphus, by the greatest of exertion and toil, attained the summit, the darn thing rolled back down again.

It feels hopeless at times, but the only way to lose is if I quit looking - so I'll keep my job search alive - and trust.  Sometimes God's timing is not ours, and God does have a plan for my life. 

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 06:12PM »

I am now in El Paso, TX.  I saw billboards in Midland and Odessa advertising jobs, and Trans Pecos Foods in Pecos had a "NOW HIRING" banner on the front of their building.  If anyone likes west Texas, there you go!
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 06:35PM »

Jim,  just because businesses, retail and job agents post "hiring". Dose not mean anybody will be offered the job right there and then. Especailly with more companies closing and laying off good experience people.In the bad economic time again and governement rules and laws that starts this all the time.  I know this for fact cause been there done that and still doing. Also you don't feel good working for less unless stricrly temp!
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 06:57PM »

the City of Mesa Arizona lost 48 out of 62 people in one department today.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 12:09PM »

Zan, DHL is closing US hubs which around 9000 people, the automakers is another 2 million which hit alot of us more directly and indirectly. California is 7% UE, including me Angry. Even Europe , Ireland too and UK are going through alot of layoffs. OH the US dollar and Yen gain ed on the Euro. The Irish Times and BBC webs site have good info.
Here is a example:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/foyle_and_west/7729626.stm
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:28PM by Shywolf » Logged
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 01:33PM »

I read the Belfast Times and Independent.ie on line every morning. We are waiting to hear who teh lucky 10% of staff will be leaving by 12/1. That will be approximately 200 from here.

jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 06:26PM »

It is not good and is scary. I know from expierence Cry  Sad Angry
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 06:30PM »

Been unemployed since February.  Doctors said I can go back to work, but no jobs. 

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 08:51PM »

Hey Rich, how about professional tour guide for a certain Irish singing group?

Jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 12:49PM »

Rich, I have been out since July 2007 after I came back from ACC tapings. Jobs posted but hhhmmmm well several reasons: Need help though don't know how long, pay is less at the beginning, speak other than English, I can go on on even retail is hiring for seasonal buuuuut with economy now again. Oh heck  it is stressful Angry Cry
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: