Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jobs - Work - etc.  (Read 95085 times)
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 06:14PM »

Seen on a billboard in Hays, Kansas, last week:       HaysHasJobs.com

Right now, there is a shortage of truck drivers nationwide, as many left the industry when the economy was worsening.  Some insiders say the current shortage is the worst it has been in many years.  The company I work for has more freight than we can handle and is offering to pay us $500 for each new experienced driver we can recruit.  Training only takes a few short weeks and the money is decent.  (My company is NOT a training company, but there are many around, as well as driver training schools.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:23PM by Jim M. » Logged
hayleynibhaoleafh<3'scelticwoman!
Honorary Roadie

U can have my <3, if U don't mind broken things...

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 07:48PM »

Oh Hannahlmat, don't worry. We're here for you. We'll pray!!

Loooooove Hayley xxx
~~~~~~~Maybe it's not about the happy endings... maybe it's about the story...~~~~~~
Friend are angels ~*~ Cherish them
CelticWomanAddict
Total Fanatic

You'll Never Walk Alone

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 08:28PM »

I love all those old truck driving songs,I have a few CD's of them

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 03:17PM »

Minooka, Illinois - Macy's Distribution Center - big banner on building says they are hiring.
Maggie
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 11:37AM »

The only times I've been unemployed since I left College was:
For about 6 months (in England) just after Chris was born, and for about 6 months (in FL) when I was very ill in 2003.

When I moved to the USA, I got my "green card", and I needed a job.
I had 20 years of Management experience, some of it in TV Studios.
I sent many resumés and letters, without success...in the end I took a job in retail for $5 per hour.
Within 3 months I was assistant manager in a new branch, then office manager at their home office,
because they (quote) "wanted my accent" for their dealers and phone-in customers!

I would go anywhere and take any job if I were unemployed now.
A 50-yr old acquaintance of mine was unemployed for a year recently because he said he could not find
a "suitable" position at the right salary. In the end he had to lower his sights.

Sometimes I've had to change direction, and think outside the box....and even outside the Country.

Ireland's sons and daughters have had to leave the Country to seek work many times in their History...
...and it's happening again. Until 2009 the unemployment rate in Ireland was hovering around 4%.
In 2009, it was 6.2%.
Now it is 12% and rising.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 11:50AM by Maggie » Logged
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 12:23PM »

Not easy to move and get work if you have no money and job market is tight. I know from experience...
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 01:04PM »

Grayson, Kentucky --- "Now Hiring" banner on the Smithfield building (last Thursday).
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 06:47PM »

Truck Driver Training:

Schneider National: 1-800-44-PRIDE or www.schneiderjobs.com/

There are other companies that will provide training as well.  Look at truck.net
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 11:39AM »

Just because sign on biz says hiring dose not mean that any who apply will be offered a "job".  Most is bait & switch and most are short term low wage jobs.
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 09:24PM »

Pendleton, Oregon - today - Keystone RV Mfg. - sign by the freeway said "Production Positions Now Available".
Maggie
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 03:28PM »

Truck Driver Training:
Schneider National: 1-800-44-PRIDE or www.schneiderjobs.com/
There are other companies that will provide training as well.  Look at truck.net

Pendleton, Oregon - today - Keystone RV Mfg. - sign by the freeway said "Production Positions Now Available".

I would like to thank you Jim, for pointing out that some Companies are hanging out "Hiring" signs.
You are trying to help and give hope.

If I was unemployed I would get on a Greyhound bus and keep going until I found something to do.
If I could not find a paid job, even temporary or minimum wage, I would volunteer for a Charity.
I have volunteered many times in my life, and always learned a new skill.
I went to the Red Cross to learn CPR and First Aid because I was caregiver to my Mom-in-law.
After she passed away, I continued doing courses with the Red Cross, and was put on the Disaster Action Team.
This was all volunteer, not paid......but I was told I could apply for the paid staff positions available,
which were posted in the "volunteer" areas. I heard from a Red Cross worker that FEMA needed contractors
to assess damage to property, one of the skills I learned from the Red Cross.
So after doing several FEMA courses, I was on contract for all the Hurricanes, floods and disasters for the next 5 years.

I also took caregiver courses at the Alzheimers Association, and got a full-time job because of that.

So you never know when a new skill, or a volunteer position can turn into a career.

I took a minimum-wage job in a retail store when I first arrived in the USA,
but I interviewed for it with the same positive attitude as for a Management job.
I did my homework on the Company and asked some questions.
I showed them I was willing to take on anything, and didn't mind hard work.
I was Assistant Manager 3 months later. I have remained on good terms with the owners,
they told me the door was always open if I want to go back.

I know times are much harder now......but I know a new immigrant (legal) who has just landed a good job
against a lot of competition.....I'm pretty sure it was his attitude and courtesy that got him in.
I also know a few people here illegally (Europeans, not Hispanic) who are never out of work.
I have not asked how they do it.

My Daddy had to uproot his wife and 3 kids from Ireland to England because there was no work at home,
and no such thing as welfare or free health care.
He worked down the Yorkshire coal mines, his brothers worked in the Sheffield steel foundries.
They passed the word on to other Irishmen.
When I was in TV Production in England, almost every job opening went to friends and relatives of present employees.
Even people who wanted to be Sound engineers or cameramen had to start by clearing tables in the cafeteria,
and work their way up.

There have been unemployment crises throughout time, but I think this is the worst I have known Universally.
More than ever, it is not just how educated you are or what job skills you have, but it is who you know that matters.
You have to use your network of contacts......including Jim M.
He might turn out to be your best friend with his news of  "Hiring" notices.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 03:45PM by Maggie » Logged
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 03:46PM »

Thank you, Maggie.  I have seen more than I have been able to post.  I heard on the radio that there are over 20,000 energy related jobs in North Dakota and nobody wants them, apparently.  Just today, I saw a billboard along I-70 advertising jobs available in Salina, Kansas, where I am now.
I know many people have reasons why they can't move or change careers, but there are jobs out there.
By the way, I found my current job on Craigslist.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:48PM by Jim M. » Logged
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 05:47PM »

Sign today along I-70 in Missouri:  WANTED - 28,000 Nurses ...

Is there a nurse shortage again?
greenfire6
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 07:15PM »

USA's Peri & Sons Farms, Yerington, Nevada and Firebaugh, California often have a wide variety of positions open.

Just today I was approached about taking a new Quality Assurance position or if I knew of someone for this full time, year round job.

http://www.periandsons.com/
dbbii

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 02:30PM »

I know this thread was a little old, but let me throw my 2c in.

I've been unemployed for almost 2 years.  The unemployment office says to get "training".  OK, training to do what?  I have a bachelors degree in civil engineering.  I've worked in the construction field for over 30 years, including running a couple of moderately large companies.  (that gives you an idea of how old I am)  Construction obviously went down the tubes a couple years ago, and it's going to be a while until it picks back up. 

What am I supposed to do?  I'm lucky that my wife still has a good job with benefits, so I can make it to a few concerts every year.  Quite honestly, I don't expect to ever get a "real" job again.   My field is dead, and I'm too old.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: