Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Nascar and other Motorsports thread!  (Read 400807 times)
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #450 on: February 14, 2010, 03:21PM »

Red flag is out now. A chunk of pavement got dug up. Fill in the hole now.
Is this a common problem? I am a bit surprised...a pothole on the track.

I was even more surprised it didnt cause a big crash. When I was a kid, I pulled off to the side of the road to let an ambulance by. When I went back on the road, I had a very strong pull to the right and heard "da-DUM da-DUM da-DUM" I was only going like 10 mph too. Turns out I blew the right front - ran over a storm thing that had rusted out and had sharp pointy edges sticking up. But going at speeds they travel, I am surprised that, who was it, Johnson, who hit it, didnt go out of control to the right when he hit it at high speed.

Did Horvath race the 300 yesterday as well in the 500 today? I know the one guy ran the truck race too. But how many of them race in multiple races this weekend?

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #451 on: February 14, 2010, 03:31PM »

www.nascar.com
http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar
JRRacing64
« Reply #452 on: February 14, 2010, 03:41PM »

Red flag is out now. A chunk of pavement got dug up. Fill in the hole now.
Is this a common problem? I am a bit surprised...a pothole on the track.

I was even more surprised it didnt cause a big crash. When I was a kid, I pulled off to the side of the road to let an ambulance by. When I went back on the road, I had a very strong pull to the right and heard "da-DUM da-DUM da-DUM" I was only going like 10 mph too. Turns out I blew the right front - ran over a storm thing that had rusted out and had sharp pointy edges sticking up. But going at speeds they travel, I am surprised that, who was it, Johnson, who hit it, didnt go out of control to the right when he hit it at high speed.

Did Horvath race the 300 yesterday as well in the 500 today? I know the one guy ran the truck race too. But how many of them race in multiple races this weekend?
Well the track has not been repaved since 1978 so the pavement is quite old. It didn't help it rained so much on friday. It happened a few times before once at Charlotte motor speedway and once at Martinsville.

As for Johnson not crashing, he's the best driver out there today. He just won his 4th championship in a row so he's quite skilled.

There are a few drivers that do run in multiple series. Most only do it at select races, mostly at races were they are all at the same track. Kyle Busch last year had a win in all three series before the first month of the season.
JRRacing64
« Reply #453 on: February 14, 2010, 03:54PM »

NASCAR just announced drivers back to their cars. Going back racing soon.
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #454 on: February 14, 2010, 03:54PM »

ok i looked at those links. Kevin Harvick is in both. Did he also race Indy cars, or maybe I am confusing him with a guy with a similar last name. I could have sworn theres a Horvath.

yesterdays race seemed a bit more exciting. But I havent watched much of todays. Gotta go do some stuff too. But maybe best I get away. I dont want to get hooked on NASCAR now. But with yesterdays race seemed there were too many cars. I think 43. So crashes seem certain with that many cars when they get bunched up. But it seemed like more action there too.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
JRRacing64
« Reply #455 on: February 14, 2010, 04:25PM »

The reason why they were bunched up was because at track larger then 2.5 miles they put a restrictor plate on the carburetor to keep speeds down. Without them they could go way over 220 mph. At that speed if they get turned around they'll take off like an airplane. The last 20 laps will be exciting  Wink

btw #43 just brought the caution out.
JRRacing64
« Reply #456 on: February 14, 2010, 04:38PM »

Oh boy! They are starting to get dicey out there now! Junior's starting to inch towards the front now!
JRRacing64
« Reply #457 on: February 14, 2010, 04:40PM »

Top 10 as of lap 153

1 Juan Pablo Montoya
2 Kevin Harvick
3 Greg Biffle
4 Clint Bowyer
5 Carl Edwards
6 Martin Truex Jr.
7 Dale Earnhardt Jr.
8 Kyle Busch
9 Denny Hamlin
10 Brian Vickers
JRRacing64
« Reply #458 on: February 14, 2010, 04:51PM »

More track problems  Angry Angry Angry
JRRacing64
« Reply #459 on: February 14, 2010, 05:24PM »

looks like drivers are heading back to their cars again. Looks like they are trying a different type of patch to last the last 30 laps.
JRRacing64
« Reply #460 on: February 14, 2010, 05:32PM »

Cars are going again! Hope the patch will hold!
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #461 on: February 14, 2010, 05:34PM »

Track problem = poor management by track owners and NASCAR, IMO.  Asphalt is petroleum based and after 30+ years has dried out and become brittle, so no surprise it would start coming apart.  But to have it happen at the biggest event of the year is ridiculous.  I think the track needs to be REBUILT, not REPAVED.  Have you noticed how much bouncing the cars are doing?  I don't think the track was ever intended to have cars going 200 mph.  I just hope there is not an accident that takes another life or causes a serious injury.  NASCAR will get a lot of criticism for this mess, and they will deserve it.
JRRacing64
« Reply #462 on: February 14, 2010, 06:37PM »

Worth all that waiting! What a finish!!!!! Jamie McMurry Wins the Daytona 500!!! What a rally by Dale Jr. Anyone who says he can't drive watch that last lap! Great race!!
JRRacing64
« Reply #463 on: February 14, 2010, 06:41PM »

Track problem = poor management by track owners and NASCAR, IMO.  Asphalt is petroleum based and after 30+ years has dried out and become brittle, so no surprise it would start coming apart.  But to have it happen at the biggest event of the year is ridiculous.  I think the track needs to be REBUILT, not REPAVED.  Have you noticed how much bouncing the cars are doing?  I don't think the track was ever intended to have cars going 200 mph.  I just hope there is not an accident that takes another life or causes a serious injury.  NASCAR will get a lot of criticism for this mess, and they will deserve it.
The bumps are not the problem. It gives the track character and adds to the challenge to the track. It's just the nature of this racing.  Not sure I would want another Talladega if they get rid of those bumps.
JRRacing64
« Reply #464 on: February 14, 2010, 06:48PM »

I'm shaking still thats how excited I am about this! Grin
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: