Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Nascar and other Motorsports thread!  (Read 398941 times)
JRRacing64
« Reply #600 on: May 30, 2010, 08:46PM »

Kurt Busch wins the 600. I feel bad for McMurray, Had that race won if it hadn't been for that caution... Jeff Burton was really mad at Kyle Busch!
CWmaireadlover

I love Mairead!!!!!!!!

« Reply #601 on: May 31, 2010, 12:09AM »

i am happpy for the kurt busch for winning but i wish jeff gorden would win at least once this year becuase he is my favorite driver and would like to see him in the winner circle for once

JRRacing64
« Reply #602 on: June 06, 2010, 05:18PM »

Wow glad Kasey Kahne is ok after that one. Almost flew out of the race track. Harvick and Logono had a altercation on the track, Great car control from Joey, He practically had the thing in a drift around turn 3. He had a few words for Kevin after the race as well. While all this was going on Sam Hornish tried to get a surprise win but Hamlin spoiled those ideas and took home the win at Pocono for the 4th time.
Ebby

« Reply #603 on: June 07, 2010, 05:56AM »

I know this is a Nascar thread, but since Danica will be returning to the Nationwide series at the end of the month, I feel I can express my pride in her after watching her in Texas Saturday night.  That was the first time in a long time that I saw the old Danica Patrick show up and race a complete race.  It was like she ad rocket fuel in her tank instead of ethenol.  She never slowed, took on the big boys and race to a very impressive 2nd place finish, losing to Briscoe.  This season has been very disappointing for Danica fans, but her showing at Indy and then Saturday night at Texas, it proves, you give her a good car, she has the talent to get it done.  I only wish IRL didn't have a by week, so she can keep up the momentum.  Anyway, its on to Iowa, and I will be watching.

I miss Lynn!!
Jack

« Reply #604 on: June 07, 2010, 06:51AM »

I saw the old Danica Patrick show up and race a complete race.  It was like she ad rocket fuel in her tank instead of ethenol.  She never slowed, took on the big boys and race to a very impressive 2nd place finish, losing to Briscoe.

Hmmmmmm..............You think she might be following Jeff's threads!??   Cheesy   Maybe she's a big CW fan?

Sorry I didn't get to see the race.  It must have been an exciting afternoon for Danica fans.  I'm looking forward to her return to Nationwide and eventually a move into Cup cars.  If things don't work out, she can always return to the IRL and win the 500, like Franchitti.  Smiley Smiley

kingcobradude (Clay S.)
Bodhrán Player

I am Chloë Agnew's #1 Fan

« Reply #605 on: June 08, 2010, 12:51AM »

I saw I think saturday #81 really lost control in the truck series.

Yes it's raining. Why do you think Ireland is so green, pixie dust? I can not believe you just nodded your head. *exasperated sigh*
Maggie
« Reply #606 on: June 09, 2010, 12:04PM »

I was channel surfing this morning, and landed on TCM (Turner Classic Movies).

They had 15 minutes of spare time between movies, and they showed the Indy 500.....from 1934.

It was either 1934 or 1933, because they mentioned Stubby Stubblefield, who was killed in 1935.
They also mentioned Bill Cummings a lot......he won in 1934.
Other names were: Mauri Rose, Cliff Bergere, and Wilbur Shaw.
I had never heard of any of them, but I just did a search.
I do not like Motor Racing and would never dream of going to a race, I prefer my racers quiet, with 4 legs.
But what amazed and horrified me was how vulnerable the drivers were, no protection compared to now.
There were 15 fatalities from 1931 to 1935, and I'm not surprised having seen this film.

Here's a clip of the same race from the stands, quality not as good as that on TCM:
http://www.jerseygearhead.com/2008/10/video-footage-of-1934-indianapolis-500.html

Palmie00

« Reply #607 on: June 09, 2010, 12:07PM »

I love this thread !

greenfire6
« Reply #608 on: June 09, 2010, 04:06PM »

This thread got me to reminiscing about the only NASCAR Race I ever attended- Rockingham, North Carolina in 1972. At least my memory tells me it was a NASCAR Race. This was when I was in the Army and station at nearby Fort Bragg. A bunch of us got together one Sunday after Chapel and headed over there.

Don't remember much about the race or any of the drivers names. Truthfully, I think I was more interested in maybe meeting a nice southern belle! After all I was 22 and single.  Smiley

A lot has changed since then. the big corprate money has come in along with wall to wall TV coverage. Funny thing is they are still running big V8s with pushrods inside and a carburator on top. Go figure...

I just checked "The Rock's" website and it appears NASCAR no longer races at the Rock- although other stock car racing sanctioning bodies do. I'm I getting that right?
JRRacing64
« Reply #609 on: June 10, 2010, 09:40AM »

A lot has changed since then. the big corprate money has come in along with wall to wall TV coverage. Funny thing is they are still running big V8s with pushrods inside and a carburator on top. Go figure...

It was about 1971 - 1972 when R.J Reynolds and his company came in a bought the naming right to the what was then call the Grand National series. After that was when Nascar slowly moved more and more main stream. It wasn't until the mid 80's that Television started to pick up lots of racing. Though the 1979 Daytona 500 had a lot to do with that first jump start into main stream media.

There was some interesting article on Jayski.com about Nascar going to Fuel injection as soon as 2011 to get ready to run Ethanol fuel.

I just checked "The Rock's" website and it appears NASCAR no longer races at the Rock- although other stock car racing sanctioning bodies do. I'm I getting that right?

Yep "The Rock" was dropped from the schedule back in 2004 to make room for a second date at California and Texas tracks. A lot like when North Wilkesboro was dropped to make room for New Hampshire and The first Texas race (When Texas was first built in 97.

Rockingham for a few years was used for various thing. Movies such as Talladega Nights, as a testing track since it was a non sanctioned track and for a driving school track.

In 2007  Andy Hillenburg bought the track and brought racing back there through the ARCA RE/MAX Series which runs 2 times a year there as well as Late model and legends cars. He does have some hope to bring the Nationwide and truck series back in the future but a Cup date would be unlikely.
greenfire6
« Reply #610 on: June 11, 2010, 06:23PM »

Thanks for the info Jeff. I hope Mr. Hillenburg does well- with or without landing a NASCAR series stop.  Surely the local business community would profit along with his success.

I know that, one week a year, Las Vegas Motor Speedway becomes the 3rd largest "city" in Nevada. That's loads of folks and a bit more than a few dollars spent!

I rode by The Rock on my way to All American Week at Fort Bragg in May 2005. The facility looked sharpe from the outside as I rode by. (I was on the same motorcycle you later painted for me  Grin ). A week later, turninng for home I rode thru Charlotte the same day as the Coca Cola 600. I stopped at BMW of Charlotte (a famous BMW motorcycle shop) and I will tell you that town was hopping!

JRRacing64
« Reply #611 on: June 13, 2010, 11:40AM »

I was channel surfing this morning, and landed on TCM (Turner Classic Movies).

They had 15 minutes of spare time between movies, and they showed the Indy 500.....from 1934.

It was either 1934 or 1933, because they mentioned Stubby Stubblefield, who was killed in 1935.
They also mentioned Bill Cummings a lot......he won in 1934.
Other names were: Mauri Rose, Cliff Bergere, and Wilbur Shaw.
I had never heard of any of them, but I just did a search.
I do not like Motor Racing and would never dream of going to a race, I prefer my racers quiet, with 4 legs.
But what amazed and horrified me was how vulnerable the drivers were, no protection compared to now.
There were 15 fatalities from 1931 to 1935, and I'm not surprised having seen this film.

Here's a clip of the same race from the stands, quality not as good as that on TCM:
http://www.jerseygearhead.com/2008/10/video-footage-of-1934-indianapolis-500.html

Thanks for the link Maggie, I've never heard of that movie either.

Yes, racing back in those days was incredibly dangerous. I believe they didn't even have seat belts and driver loosing there lives were not uncommon. It's quite amazing to see how much race cars have changed since the early days. A good example was Mike Conway's crash at the Indy 500 this year where the car went air borne and went into the catch fence tearing the car in two! He suffed a fractured back and a leg injury but other then that he'll be making a full recovery.
JRRacing64
« Reply #612 on: June 13, 2010, 12:00PM »

Just watched the Canadian GP Lewis Hamilton won that. Now on to Nascar, looks like Kurt Busch is spanking the field quite handley. Been keeping a eye on Dale jr on Hot pass. Seems to be making the bottom lane work. Wink
JRRacing64
« Reply #613 on: June 13, 2010, 12:39PM »

Denny Hamlin led a bit but everyone's talking about the #9 of Kasey Kahne. #77 leads under caution.
JRRacing64
« Reply #614 on: June 13, 2010, 01:38PM »

It looks like it's gonna be all Hamlin unless we get a caution. To bad Amy wasn't there. She seems to make the races better at MIS when she's there Wink
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:39PM by JRRacing64 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: