Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Original Songs written by David Downes  (Read 67245 times)
willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 01:08PM »

Didn't he also co-write "Sing Out" with Brendan Graham?  I don't have my Cds or concert program at work, but I'm pretty sure they co-wrote it. 

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 07:35AM »

David you are just too amzing for me!

Thanks Lindsey
Thistle
Total Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 12:29PM »

Didn't he also co-write "At the Ceili?"

David downes/Shay Healy cowrote "At The Célli"

i thought it was some older irish song Cheesy
Indeed, Orlagh's "interlude" in particular has a sort of traditional Irish sensibility about it — which shows that David has a pretty good sense for that sort of thing. Smiley

"Listen, my child," you say to me;
"I am the voice of your history!"
Meldy

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 05:32PM »

Maybe he will co-write something with Hayley.... Grin  David, wow!  Now, whenever I see that David wrote or co-wrote or arranged something, I'm there listening!!

Banner by:  Scott
willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 02:00PM »

I just checked my "New Journey" liner notes, and David Downes and Brendan Graham did co-write "Sing Out!"  Another awesome song!

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
logalogalog

Remember the Fallen. Freedom is not free.

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 02:40PM »

I just checked my "New Journey" liner notes, and David Downes and Brendan Graham did co-write "Sing Out!"  Another awesome song!
Thank you Willow.I've added Sing Out to the list.

Serving during Operation Iraqi Freedom
McIrish

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007, 08:22PM »

In the 20th century,we in America,had some amazing composer/arranger/orchestrators,Richard Rodgers,Leonard Bernstein,John Williams,(remember "ET" & the Music from the 1984 Olympics?-that guy!) I think David is approaching that tier of excellence,rising above the ordinary,to achieve beyond even what we have heard up to now.It's my great wish that David would embark on an instrumental quest that would equal William's Olympic Themes,Rodger's extraordinary "Victory at Sea" and Bernstein's "West Side Story" and "Candide." David is just approaching the age when MASTERS of their art really begin to achieve.I believe,having directed bands,orchestras,and choirs for over 40 years,we are witnessing   the rise of this century's best new writer,David Downes. Mc
logalogalog

Remember the Fallen. Freedom is not free.

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 04:28PM »

In the 20th century,we in America,had some amazing composer/arranger/orchestrators,Richard Rodgers,Leonard Bernstein,John Williams,(remember "ET" & the Music from the 1984 Olympics?-that guy!) I think David is approaching that tier of excellence,rising above the ordinary,to achieve beyond even what we have heard up to now.It's my great wish that David would embark on an instrumental quest that would equal William's Olympic Themes,Rodger's extraordinary "Victory at Sea" and Bernstein's "West Side Story" and "Candide." David is just approaching the age when MASTERS of their art really begin to achieve.I believe,having directed bands,orchestras,and choirs for over 40 years,we are witnessing   the rise of this century's best new writer,David Downes. Mc
Yes,he's getting there!

Serving during Operation Iraqi Freedom
Moscapoet
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2007, 03:52PM »

Yes David has quite a gift. I'm just trying to find out how I can get him to look at the lyrics I've written inspired by the group. The person at CW website said he does not accept unsolicited lyrics. So how did misters Healy and Graham go about it? I've written lyrics to Mairead's air "There is no night" but have no idea how to get it to her or if it could even be accepted. There must be folks in the industry in this forum. I'm up to 82 poems/lyrics now and would dearly love any of the girls to look at them or (gasp) set one to music and sing it. When a passion strikes you what else can you do but play it out. Carraig on!
Kelsey

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 06:07PM »

David has an absolutely astounding gift for song writing, and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next!  Thank you, David!

McIrish

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 10:40PM »

Yes David has quite a gift. I'm just trying to find out how I can get him to look at the lyrics I've written inspired by the group. The person at CW website said he does not accept unsolicited lyrics. So how did misters Healy and Graham go about it? I've written lyrics to Mairead's air "There is no night" but have no idea how to get it to her or if it could even be accepted. There must be folks in the industry in this forum. I'm up to 82 poems/lyrics now and would dearly love any of the girls to look at them or (gasp) set one to music and sing it. When a passion strikes you what else can you do but play it out. Carraig on!
Hi Moscapoet,The only thing I can recommend is keep trying,keep hounding,do whatever you can to get someones attention,no matter how long it takes.Many of our famous composers,lyricists,arrangers have gone through great difficulty trying to get their creation across,and failed,....until one person saw the promise in the music,...and then.... all Heaven broke loose.Keep Dreamin & NEVER give up!!! Mc
Moscapoet
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 06:29PM »

Thank you McIrish!
   Words of encouragement are so important especially when they come from someone within the industry. I have a client that is a professional musician and arranger in the hill country of Texas, and he has agreed to do the lead sheets for my first two songs. I hope to have them copywritten and publisher by years' end. I also work with someone whose son is deployed to Iraq flying helicopter gunships. He is a good illustrator and is going to take a rather Dr. Seuss-ish poem I wrote and help me turn it into a children's book. I'm going to use most of the proceeds from sales(if any) and donate them to a charity that helps families of those killed in action. Thanks again McIrish for your words. Now it will only be a matter of finding someone who will sing the songs once they're out. I think I can, I think I can...... 
Maggie
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 04:33AM »

i thought it was some older Iirish song Cheesy

No, it's a new song by David Downes, but it's about a céilí in the late 1950's or early 60's.
The dresses and the words give me that impression, anyway.
McIrish

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 07:16PM »

I really hope this is not off subject too much,but I d really like to hear a composition,by David,about our lads & lasses in Iraq & Afghanistan,their trials,tribulations,their losses.Yes,it would be a tearjerker,but what better composer to salute them than David Downes? Mc
celticriver

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2007, 09:10PM »

Does anyone know if David might be working on any new projects other than Celtic Woman?  I would love to see him come up with a lot more new songs and shows. His talent is endless and I love it! Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: