Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Q&As from Órlagh's forum  (Read 45623 times)
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 11:03PM »

greenfire6: Salvi harps? (mod note: For whatever reason, the database ate all but the words Salvi Harps from this post. aislin)

Órlagh: Hello David,
Thanks so much for your post.
I am delighted and proud that Salvi Harps have sponsored me for the past 3 years. Salvi have given me the use of a beautiful harp that I played in the CW show and I have played it on my new album. It has the most amazing sound and I am so attached to it. On the new album I recorded a set of harp tunes and I'm very happy with the result.
Salvi have been wonderful and always facilitate me with a harp if I am giving a performance at a venue where I can't bring my own harp along. They make the most amazing harps in the world!

greenfire6: Salvi Harps website (clicking directly from your temporary website) and was surprised to see they are located in Anaheim, California, USA. Their harps are all so visually beautiful. I see Salvi does loads of activities to support musicians too.

Good to know you have recorded a number of harp tunes on Guide You Home
CRRopes
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 11:04PM »

Donny: Hello Orlagh, forgive me because I'm sure this post is going to be mainly me blabbering about things until I get to the actual question I would like to ask. *laughs*

First of all, I just wanted to let you know how much of an inspiring musician you have been for me. I know that a lot of your music was inspired by your Grandmother---which is pretty much the same story as my own. My Grandmother inspired me to get into music (I sing and play the saxophone), and every time I play/sing I feel her presence almost. I went to the Celtic Woman performance at Auburn Hills, Michigan last May and after reading your biography in the book---I was astounded and inspired by how you feel toward things. It was such a stunning experience for me, and I was so gratified to see you on stage. =]

Now then...the question. When I see you performing on the DVDs, especially in the song "Newgrange", you seem so inspired and passionate as you sing/play. This is a very odd question---but what were you feeling the first time you performed "Newgrange" in front of a live audience? (Obviously that is currently my favorite song haha)

<3

Donny =]

Órlagh: Hello Donny,

I'm so delighted to hear that your Grandmother is your inspiration in your Music too!! Where would we be without grandparents!

I can remember the first time I performed Newgrange in Slane for the DVD filming. I had butterflies in my tummy before I went on stage and then once the music started and I began to walk out on the stage, I just got lost in the song. I was thinking of how mystical the words were and tried to capture the mysticism in my singing. I just went into another world.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 11:09PM by CRRopes » Logged

aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 11:09PM »

bpea55: Dear Orlagh, Since you are now doing the Solo CD and are now on your own, will you have the same booking agent or a new one? If so, do you know who yet?

I think it would be a great experience for students in my area to see you perform and maybe do a Master Class on Harp as well as sing.
A number of my students Love your voice and are intrigued by the Irish Harp.
So I just thought if you'd had any touring thoughts, perhaps I could start planning.
Just curious... I wouldn't want to let the cat out of the bag or anything...so to speak  Grin
Bruce

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for your post.

At the moment I am in talks with someone about coming back to America to do some concerts. I will make an announcement here on the web-site as soon as I receive any confirmation of any forthcoming events.
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 11:12PM »

Binti: Hi, Orlagh.  I was so touched by your story of having to choose between your pony and the harp. I was wondering if you now have both.  Binti

Órlagh: Hello Binti,

I still have the harp that my Dad bought me when I was in school after my money was stolen when I sold my pony.

I don't have any horses here at the moment as I wouldn't have time to look after them and exercise them properly.

Binti: Thank you so much, Orlagh, for taking the time to visit us on the forum and to answer questions.  It is so exciting to know you really do check in with us. You are so special and I hope you are having a great day in your magical winterland.
CRRopes
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 11:13PM »

zankoku: I read somewhere that you did not really have comuter access and used the local library computers.

Do you still head to the library or do you now have your own internet access? Do you use a PC or a laptop?

Jim

Órlagh: Hi Jim,

I use a lap-top. We found it very difficult to get broadband connection here in the house as we're out in the country  and I used to have to go into the library to check my e-mails.
Thankfully we have broadband in the house now and it's a lifesaver!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 11:16PM by CRRopes » Logged

aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 11:14PM »

Dianne: Hi Orla,

I was wondering if you attended any of the rehearsals for the new CW show? I thought that perhaps you had done so since you were part of the group for so long.

Happy Valentine's Day,

Dianne

Órlagh: Hello Dianne,

I'm afraid I didn't get to see any of the Celtic Woman rehearsals as they took place in America and I'm over here in Ireland.

I've heard the first few shows were stunning though and I wish the girls, David and all the gang all the very best with the tour. I know it will be amazing!!
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 11:16PM »

Jim M.: Hi Orlagh -

As you traveled many miles by bus in the US, I was wondering if you had any favorite places you visited or scenery that you enjoyed.

Thank you.
Jim

Órlagh: I have to say that I love America and we visited so many different towns and cities and each place had it's own magic and charm.

I have to say though that I particularly loved Boston and New York is my favourite city in the world!!
CRRopes
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 11:19PM »

bpea55: Dear Orlagh,
When you tune your Harp, do you have to set the temperment, as with a Piano?
It seems that you would have to align the harmonics to make it speak consistantly.
I was just curious.  
Bp

Órlagh: Hi Bruce,

People say that all harpists spend 99% of their time tuning their harp and 1% playing!!

Because there are quite a lot of strings, tuning does tend to take up quite a bit of time.

I tune my harp in the key of e flat and I use an electronic tuner for accuracy. I't's also much faster than using the old tuning fork!!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 11:21PM by CRRopes » Logged

aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2009, 11:21PM »

Kelli: [When you taught school, what did you teach?]

Órlagh: Hi Kells,

I taught in a secondary school here for 5 years. I was just 22 when I qualified as a teacher. A secondary school is the equivalent of your high school.

I taught Music and took choirs. I also taught some Gaelic and Irish harp at home.

I used to teach the smaller kids Music and singing at my Mother's school in Knockanna so as you can see, I was pretty busy !
I enjoyed my teaching a lot and always had lots of stories about the different kids I encountered! I had to make the decision whether to remain teaching or concentrate on performance after a time as it just wasn't possible to keep doing the two. I'm glad I chose the latter as while I loved teaching, my real love is performing.
CRRopes
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 11:21PM »

Wickie: Hi Orlagh,

You said you liked to read...

So what's your favorite book, and who's your favorite author? [Mine is Marian Keyes]

Wickie xx

Órlagh: I have to say that Brendan Graham has written some amazing books. I don't think I've ever read any novels that have moved me as much as his.

They are deeply haunting and moving.

CRRopes
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2009, 11:24PM »

Chris: Do you text, and if you do, how full is your inbox? My friends call me a text nut, if that gives you any idea. I currently have -checks- 100 messages in mine.

Órlagh: I do text but I try to delete messages from my in-box every week.

aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 11:25PM »

celticdreamer00: [What do you grow in your garden?]

Órlagh: Hi Andi,

I have lots of different kinds of plants here in the garden. I have fruit trees, roses which I adore and an herbaceous border which has many different kinds of plants. It requires a lot of work though.

aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 11:26PM »

Jillebeans: Hello Orlagh,

I was curious what kind of fruit trees do you have and what kind of fruit trees can grow in Ireland? Also was kind of roses do you enjoy? My favorite ones are well I don't know their name but, I call them fire and ice. They are white with red around the tops.

Thanks for all that you do,
Jill  Smiley

Órlagh: Hi Jill,

I have apple trees, both eating and cooking.

I also have a quince and some pear trees.
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 11:28PM »

Craig: Hi Orlagh,

Just wanted to say again tough was in letter to with gift I sent you last November. That I was happy to see you all at the Greek May 2007 and the ACC tapings July 2007 motivated me to go to Ireland for the first time and out of USA. And was very short stay and think about it everyday and have to go back. I have alot of questions but one of them is have traveled to other parts of Ireland?? Where did you go to?

Órlagh: Hi Craig,

Ireland is such a small country in comparison to America and I've pretty got around to seeing most of the country.

I love Wicklow, west Cork, Kerry, Donegal and Galway.
CRRopes
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 11:31PM »

[celticdreamer00: Órlagh, do you believe in or use any kind of natural remedies?
Andi]

Órlagh: Hello Andi,

I'm a great believer in taking some Manuka honey in warm water every morning with some lemon. It's wonderful for building up your immune system.

I also swear by boiled root ginger with honey and lemon for a cold. I used to hate the taste but I've been taking it for so many years now that I like it .

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: