Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Helix vs ANJ  (Read 9819 times)
McIrish

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 09:49AM »

I'll be the odd one out here.? I prefer the Helix DVD to ANJ.? Before you go jumping out of your seat, let me explain.? This is from a cinametographer's perspective.

I actually hadn't seen the Helix show until after I already owned ANJ.? I wasn't really thrilled with the quick cuts between shots in ANJ, but at the time, I didn't care.? I still thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.? So I ordered the Helix DVD to get more of these heartwarming performances.? I was absolutely dazzled by the camera movements in the Helix.? Check out the way the camera dollies behind the choir as Meav sings the opening lines to She Moved Thru the Fair.? Or the camera pan that so elegantly shows each singer during their a capella performance of Somewhere.? Also, filming the Helix inside added a nice touch with the lighting because it created several awesome silhouette shots of the ladies.

Again, this is from a cinematographer's perspective, but the shots are held longer in the Helix and I like that.? The quick cuts in ANJ, for me, take away from the performances.? The reason I like shots that are held longer is because you forget the camera is there.? When there are several quick cuts in a row, suddenly you are aware of the camera.? Does that make sense?

Finally, this is because I'm a slave to the Meav, but she has more solos in the Helix.....who's with me!

me...me...me! Mc
fishloveslisa

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 10:14AM »

Yesterday i watched the Helix DVD and i really do like both. I like the warmth and the new friendship feel to the Helix. You can tell somewhat that they didnt know each other and you could tell from the way their voices blended that it could be the start of something bigger. I liked the indoorsy feel, and i really liked the camera shots and how you got to look at all the girls for a good long amount of time without having to ajust to different angles and whatnot. What i didnt like was the clothing. It looked like the choir were told to put on whatever they had that was black (and they might have) and i didnt really like any of the girls dresses but Lisa's... but that's my personal opinion. And the other thing... as much as i liked Lisa's, it didnt look right with all of the other girls in blue and purple, where she's in a more earthy greenish color. But other than that i really like the Helix.
In ANJ, i loved the coordination and how much closer the girls were as friends and pretty much family. Well, really the whole crew was that much closer and i really like to see that and compare the DVD's. In a good way, of course. I loved the castle feel and outside and the cold and the freedom and the beauty that was captured at Slane Castle, too. It showed more about the girls, where they live and gave a stunning background. I really liked how the girls had more corresponding costumes in ANJ, and i liked how they all knew each other's voices and how to make it sound as good as possible. I like how they all had choreography and how they all were so much more excited and knew exactly what was going on and the cute glances you know only friends can give instead of knowing each other for 2 days... this time they knew each other for like 2 years! But i agree that the shots of the girls were constantly changing and you didnt get the best constant focus in ANJ.
P.S. I love both (k, maybe ANJ more, and Lisa has more songs she's in for that one) and i'm thrilled to see what they can pull off for the Christmas DVD!

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 10:45AM »

Ok from a cinematography aspect. Helix was  a one night show ANJ was a complation of two shows edited together which may be the reason for the differences in the shots.

Of course you are right that the girls did not really know each other at the Helix and with ANJ they had bonded, which makes sense.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 11:06AM »

Thats right! The Christmas DVD will be filmed at the Helix. It will be interesting to see what they come up with Grin

I love both shows. Helix because this is what brought about this wonderful group. ANJ all the beautiful costumes, moves, and a long US tour! Grin

willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 11:14AM »

Helix vs ANJ:  Boy that's a tough one!  The Helix DVD was what tuned me in to Celtic Woman - I was enchanted.  Somehow it felt more natural and less "rehearsed" than ANJ. 

There's a lot of energy in ANJ, which I enjoy very much, but Helix is closer to my heart.  I agree with "Flaming Fiddle Films":

Also, while I love them both immeasurably, Helix does have one thing ANJ doesn't: "The Soft Goodbye," which, to me, is simply one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded by anyone anywhere.

The Christmas concert at the Helix will be great!  Kinda like going home again!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 11:16AM by willow » Logged

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
Flaming Fiddle Films

Have camera, will travel

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 11:19AM »

Also, while I love them both immeasurably, Helix does have one thing ANJ doesn't: "The Soft Goodbye," which, to me, is simply one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded by anyone anywhere.

I feel the same about Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring from the Helix.

"We're always happy. Life's for livin, yeah that's our philosophy."
fishloveslisa

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 11:25AM »

Agreed... times like a million  Smiley

willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 11:52AM »

I also agree!  "Jesu" is absolutely beautiful!

I also love "Send Me a Song" - the connection with David and Lisa is amazing.  I was glad to see that with "The Blessing" on ANJ. 

Thanks, Wickie!

McIrish

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 07:15PM »

I also agree!? "Jesu" is absolutely beautiful!

I also love "Send Me a Song" - the connection with David and Lisa is amazing.? I was glad to see that with "The Blessing" on ANJ.?

Thankyou Willow,for bringing up the most important component,yet most often ommitted,if not forgotten,David Downes! Without David's talent,wisdom,& foresight our lovely ladies would still be on a much smaller,yet still  successful,singing circuit,in Ireland. We,who have fallen so much in love with their voices,their style & their beauty(can you guess I'm a male?)have David to thank for what he has brought us.Thankyou once again,David!  Mc 
willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 10:10AM »

Yes, I also love it during "At the Ceili" when the camera pans over to David during an instrumental part and he looks like he's having a great time playing that piano! 

Thanks, Wickie!

Ggunsailor
Total Fanatic

Fill my glass, I'll sing a song!

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 02:33PM »

I have to say that it was ANJ that really sealed the deal for me, but I haven't really watched the Helix special much.

"Music is something one can never be with out."-Me
MaryNorth93
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 12:14PM »

I feel the same about Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring from the Helix.

Both completely agreed. Also Slane is an awesome show... But Helix is for me still the best. Because of their enchanting arrangement of Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring, just a fantastic piece inspired on Bach's music and a real honor the Lord, and She Moved Through the Fair still captivates me... Méav really gives you the magic and the sound of Ireland in that song, I loved her solo's there. And I saw Chloë there for the first time, and I remember how she impressed me. A lot of young singers on stage know, wears make-up as clowns, in their interviews they do not sound really intelligent  Roll Eyes , and their arrogance is so big...  Shocked But she stood there, looking to the audience, lovely, a little bit shy, but she said with her body-language, I want to sing for you... And I adored her hair, it seemed so goldish  Grin And then her version of Nella Fantasia.. It's awesome. She sings non-english songs with so much conviction and passion  Cool I think it impressed me more because I saw Celtic Woman for the first time, and the music there... It's a little bit more my taste than the ANJ-selection. The only thing I wasn't impressed of Maíréad solo's. The Butterfly is really cool, but the Ashoken Farewell is a little bit boring and the sound of The Contradiction is more simple than Reels .

And Slane... What can I say? Sing Out is pure magic, I love Dulaman, Hayley's heartbreaking job of Lascia Chio Pianga, Orla's mystical sounds of Newgrange, the new non-jazz version of Beyond the Sea, Lisa's passionate Caledonia and the powerfull Irish Mo Ghile Mear  Cheesy  And Maíread's solo's are awesome. And Slane's production really gives you the idea that you stepped in Ireland's magic world... But Helix will always be the most special show for me.
Celtic Lass
Total Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 12:31PM »

Unfortunatly, i think that I would not have become a fan of CW if ANJ had not been made. Don't take this wrong, but the Helix to a 15 year old (at that time) would have bored me to death! It was through ANJ that I learned to love the Helix one. And I do agree about the camera staying longer in the Helix makes it more beautiful. But IOH I think is gonna blow the roof off ANJ! Lets hope so at least!
lisalover7 (LL7)
Bodhrán Player

"I begged and I begged and I begged and I begged"

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2009, 03:01PM »

I love ANJ because it introduced me to CW it has a special place in my heart. Helix was the begging and deserves respect all the same because it was the spark that lit the burning flame. ACC is special because it is the BEST Christmas DVD available. IoH will be extra special to me because i saw the show live i was there Smiley so each DVD has something different to bring to the table Cheesy

Let Me Tell You That I Love You...
bot1tle
Total Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 10:00AM »

ever notice on any tv show nowadays that short duration of any camera shot.... count slowly from one at each new camera shot, if you get to five you're lucky.... do the kids nowaday have short attention spans.... CW Ltd. please  don't follow this trend.....
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 01:40PM by bot1tle » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: