Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Magical Night in the Magic City - A B'ham review  (Read 9923 times)
BlueFawn

« on: March 28, 2009, 09:03AM »

WOW, what a night last night!

First, it was so much fun having dinner and meeting with the forum members prior to the show.  I had an especially nice time chatting with Stan and Brenda, and Susan and Phillip - Heather is just too cute!  Lucy I hope you had a safe drive back to Pensacola!

I am so glad I'll be going to the Nashville show as I think a 2nd viewing is certainly required to take it all in, but here's at least what my mind can process from last night.

I thought the crowd in Bham was much more animated this year than last, and I made sure to whoop and holler' with the best of them...I think much to the chagrin of the guy sitting in front of me who I think was a little annoyed at first....clearly his problem and not mine!

Mairead - Oh Mairead, Mairead, Mairead - this is truly one awe inspiring performer and artist.  When you think she can't possibly get any better than how absolutely superbly amazing she already is, then she pulls out a performance like Coasts of Galicia!!!  I was literally hanging on the end of my seat.  I thought I would burst from excitement and anticipation with each rise and fall, each twirl and jump.  It was, hands down, my absolute favorite performance of the night.  She without a doubt brings joy into my soul with her music.

Lisa - is it possible for this lady to disappoint - absolutely not!  Lisa Kelly was The Voice, she IS The Voice, she will always BE The Voice!  The entire concert hall filled with her presence on this song, I imagine if a heavenly being were to send us people down below a message of song it would be this and it would come in Lisa's voice.  In addition, I am positively in love with the arrangement of Fields of Gold and Lisa's singing of it.  That is surely one I cannot wait to hear again.

Chloe - Everyone has talked of how Chloe's voice has matured and I just had to hear it for myself....and boy has it ever!  The richness, the depth the breadth of it...this young lady only gets better and I would have to say her future solo CD(s) I await with great anticipation.  Nella Fantasia, a song that took a little time to grow on me has done just that!  Chloe's duet with Lynn on Last Rose of Summer could not have been better accompanied but such gorgeous lighting and the coordination of the green and red dresses, but who is looking at that when such beautiful sound is floating all around you Wink

Lynn - Beauty, class and a voice of gold!  I think like some I had this perception of Lynn as being somewhat shy and whether she is or not in person I don't know but I found her performance last night lively and genuine.  Carolina Rua has long been a song I love and I though Lynn's flirty vibrant performance last night really brought the song alive.  Incindentally, she was my mother's favorite voice last night.

Alex - Well, I hereby submit my application for membership on Team Alex.  I was blown away by Alex, completely blown away.  What an amazing voice!  She simply must record an album, it would not make it to she shelves before it was in my hand.  True Colors holds some significance for me representing some moments from my time back in college.  I haven't listened to this song in several years and Alex brought it back to me in a most powerful and emotional way.  I think we have much more wonderful music to come from this lady in the future!

Isle of Hope, Isle of Tears and Oh, America - Had I not been in public I surely would have cried, I was definitely rendered misty-eyed.  My dad was teary as well after IOH thinking about his father coming here from Belfast and going through Ellis Island.  Bravo on these songs, Bravo!  Standing Ovations well deserved.

Danny Boy - seeing the performance on tv does no justice to hearing this live.  Hands down the best rendition of Danny Boy - ever.

~Jenna

cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 09:23AM »

Terrific review, Jenna!!!  The show is so hard to justify with mere words, huh! It is something you have to see to believe it is possible for this much talent to be on one stage at any one time.  Everything you said I ditto-- but I should see it 20 or 30 more times -- just to be sure! LOL  Thanks for the review and can't wait to read the Nashville one later. 

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 09:43AM »

YAY!!!!! I'm glad you had a great time, Jenna! I thought about you last night when we were all in the chatroom hehe.  Cheesy

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
BlueFawn

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 10:05AM »

I am more excited than ever now for Nashville!

raven_christina
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 10:16AM »

Glad to hear you had a good time Jenna. Smiley
Wife2CWFan
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 10:46AM »

Wow Jenna
Great review!!! You took the words right out of my mouth. WOW! MAGICAL!!!
I would not worry about the guy sitting in front of you he could have had it worse.
I accidently hit the woman sitting in front of me in the back of the head when jumping up to applaude. Embarrassed
 Thank god she didn't lay into me! Smiley
I know the man next to me was sick of me by the end of the evening. At the every begining of Nella Fantasia I shouted out to Chloe. The man turned to me and said "You just had to go and do that."
OOPS my bad! Guilty as charged! Grin
We had a great time last night. Heather and (PDM1114) were upset Mairead was not at M&G. I was crushed that Chloe was not at M&G . Sad
But we had a great time talking to Alex and Lisa. BTW Lisa signed that picture we showed you at dinner. Phillip told her he had something for her to sign and please don't tear it up.  Smiley She said " OH I have seen worse! "  Grin   She is a great sport!
They are both so sweet. Heather was shy at first but Alex had her talking in no time.  I got up there and forgot half of what I wanted to say to Lisa.  She is just so easy to talk to but my mind froze up. KWIM! Undecided
OH well, May be next time! Roll Eyes
Looking forward to Nashville.
Wish I had your third row seat! Grin LOL
But we are in the far back row K.
But you deserve that third row seat because there is nonthing better than seeing them close up. Grin
See yea in Nashville
Susan

OH BTW Celtic Kido (Heather ) says "Hi!"
She liked talking to you last night.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 10:49AM »

WOW, what a night last night!

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 11:27AM »

Great to hear that B'ham was so fun. And yes....it sounds like it was a Magical Night! Grin

binti

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 12:32PM »

Thanks for doing a great review, Jenna.  I totally agree and want to say that I am signing on to Team Alex, as well.  I think she was just so fantastic.  I will admit, as others have noted elsewhere, that I started the show missing Orla so much and wondered if I would have some funny feelings about Alex singing "her" part in some of the songs.  I still missed Orla at the end of the show, but found that Alex was not singing anyone's part but her own.  She is wonderful.  I am totally her fan, which takes nothing away from how much I love Orla.  Alex just made her own place in the whole show something very special.  While I totally loved everything, for next your I would like to add Part III, and put back in some of the traditional Irish songs.  I understand this show is really a tribute to the link between Ireland and America, and "O, America" totally brought me to tears....it is so moving and the dedication was beautiful.  So I mean to take nothing from this production, but I think the missing traditional songs was another link to missing beautiful Orla.

I am so thankful that I get to do it all again at the end of this week.  Meeting Alex and Lisa was the cat's meow to top off an absolutely wonderful evening. 

Thanks to m.k.c. for this lovely banner
BlueFawn

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 12:41PM »

LOL Susan about the guy you were sitting next to....I hope whoever I"m sitting next to in Nashville is prepared haha

Tell Heather hello back, and I'm sure she'll get to meet Chloe and Mairead again!

I missed Orlagh too, binti, but I was so happy to see that Alex really is her own performer and musician.  I was afraid I wouldn't be able to help but see her as a replacement but it turned out not to be that way at all!

Rosie Allen
Total Fanatic

"You tell 'em Lise!"

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 02:09PM »

I love every review I read...thank you for making the concerts real for those of us who
as yet have not seen this remarkable event up close and personal.  I have to wait until
May...and am already in withdrawal because I am only going to see it once! Embarrassed  It is good
that I am reading the reviews before hand so I will know what to look for. But, once the
DVD comes out I will see it over and over to my hearts content...and save and gear up for
their next tour with multiple tickets! 
Thanks, Jenna for a great review!

Any Forum Folks going to the May 17th concert in Seattle?

Ggunsailor
Total Fanatic

Fill my glass, I'll sing a song!

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 08:49AM »

July can't get here any slower.
Glad to see you had fun, Jenna. Smiley

"Music is something one can never be with out."-Me
Charlie'sAngels

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 09:04AM »

Thanks for the review. My one show came and went (slow/fast..took forever to get to March, and now it's gone Cry)
but your review made it come alive again Grin
BlueFawn

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 09:38AM »

I'm still flying high lol

Thanks Smiley

Artist1

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 06:24PM »

Thanks for the review Jenna, it was great meet you and all the rest, I tried looking up to see if I could find you but Brenda kept saying you can't see that far, wrong she forgets that I have new glasses, anyway it was indeed a great night and if you thought Mairead was wonderful that night you should have seen her the next night. The crowd in Tallahassee was very subdued and not into clapping and standing ovations, I really think that spurred Mairead on, she at one point came running and jumping so high into the air and near the end of the stage I thought I was going to have to catch her. She spun about 20 or 30 times at one point making me dizzy, I couldn't understand how she could play after all that. She also flew back and forth across the stage so fast a sprinter would have trouble keeping pace.
 During the second half her and the girls brought down the house, this subdued audience not only stood time and time again they were whistling and calling out the performers names, oh sorry that was me LOL. I called out everyone in the entire troup at one point or another, and being front and center Lise kept smiling me and like the night before and she could knew I was having fun, she did mention that at the meet and greet in Birmingham.
 I mentioned to Alex she was having way too much fun.
Everyone should have followed me to Tallahassee, Chloe and Lynn were at the meet and greet, although I must mention it was really rushed about 15 minutes for 30 people, that just a short 30 seconds each. I was feeling guilty cause Chloe kept talking to me even with other people in front of her, I could see she wanted to talk more, the same with Lynn, Lynn told me she loved her portrait and asked if I was going to do one of Alex, I won't elaborate on what I told her, it was between Lynn and I.
 Chloe and Lynn looked very tired and I can understand that, Lynn you have to eat some meat for stamina LOL. Chloe still had more energy than even us, of course she is still a teenager.
 I have to thank Jennifer Wolf for being so gracious and greet everyone of us.
 I have to thank Rachel for a wonderful job and of course PBS who makes it all happen.
 I hope Brenda and I didn't scare poor Ray calling out his name but he did smile and wave at the end.
Brenda and I both said we would never do back to back concerts again cause it takes too much out of us older people, but we said that last year also.
 We'll see everyone in Nashville.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: