Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carrickfergus, Lisa or Orla style?  (Read 6818 times)
Gail

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 10:12PM »

I like both - Orla has the definite Irish accent that gives Carrekfurgus an authentic touch.

But - Lisa's is beautiful also, because the background accompaniment is so pretty, and the echo-ey flute give it a gorgeous, ethereal, ancient sound that sends a thrill down my spine everytime the flute comes in.
lisalover7 (LL7)
Bodhrán Player

"I begged and I begged and I begged and I begged"

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 04:43PM »

I picked Orla! Ah I feel so guilty. But i prefer the ANJ version to her solo. It's just so much sadder and i listened to it more and became familiar with her version first. Lisa's is pretty the way Lisa makes every song pretty. Ah it was a close call. I think i will listen to lisa's version more....
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 05:41PM by lisalover7 » Logged

Let Me Tell You That I Love You...
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 05:19PM »

I  always considered this one to be Orla`s, that is until I listened to Lisa singing it for the first time about two minutes ago.  WOW! Lisa....it`s so awesome how you sing this. I`ll have to go with Lisa on this one.

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
Celtic Kiwi

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 09:21PM »

I picked Orla! Ah I feel so guilty. But i prefer the ANJ version to her solo. It's just so much sadder and i listened to it more and became familiar with her version first. Lisa's is pretty the way Lisa makes every song pretty. Ah it was a close call. I think i will listen to lisa's version more....

I'm with you on this. And that's exactly how I feel about it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:25PM by Celtic Kiwi » Logged
shankdee
Honorary Roadie

"We were all talking about you" said Lisa Kelly

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 10:23PM »

I voted for Lisa because I like the way she sings, "I spend my days in endless roaming"

Good Poll  Good Discussion Smiley

shankdee
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 08:28AM by shankdee » Logged

Thanks For my Beautiful Deirdre Banner...GodsHorseGirl* * *
BrianH_2009
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 05:37PM »

Sorry Lisa but I have to go with Orlagh on this one! I prefer Orlagh's "Harry's Game" over Clannad's too. I know that has nothing to do with this pole but there it is!
Natalia
Bodhrán Player

May 12 was a wonderful day!

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 12:13AM »

I meant to vote for orla, but I clicked Lisa accidently,
Lisa sings it beautiully, but it's more of orla's style

Integrity.Love.Unity.
Bodhrán Player

So let's go on, let's go on, on and on for love

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 12:56PM »

However, to have seen Órlagh singing Carrickfergus while playing the harp is an unforgettable experience.
She plays so beautifully, and sings so wistfully, your heart breaks for her.
I wanted to grab her by the hand and say....."OK, I'll take you there!"  Smiley

I know!!! I think I like Orla's better. Lisa's voice just doesn't sound right singing it to me.

Gail

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 10:38PM »

What are the "Monkees" doing in the top of the Maeraid banner ??

I know Mike's last name is Nesbitt (I watched the show the first time around), but still..........
Maggie
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 03:56AM »

I know Mike's last name is Nesbitt (I watched the show the first time around), but still..........

His name is Mike Nesmith.
He and the Monkees are a million miles from Máiréad. Not even on the same planet, musically.
I had to work with Michael Dolenz for a while at London Weekend Television....not an experience I would care to repeat.

Back on topic -
"Carrickfergus" was written to be sung by a man, and some of the words don't make sense....but when Órlagh sings it,
accompanied by her harp, that doesn't matter......she sings it so wistfully, with just the right amount of emotion.
Simply beautiful. 
shankdee
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2009, 04:50AM »

His name is Mike Nesmith.
He and the Monkees are a million miles from Máiréad. Not even on the same planet, musically.
I had to work with Michael Dolenz for a while at London Weekend Television....not an experience I would care to repeat.

Back on topic -
"Carrickfergus" was written to be sung by a man, and some of the words don't make sense....but when Órlagh sings it,
accompanied by her harp, that doesn't matter......she sings it so wistfully, with just the right amount of emotion.
Simply beautiful. 

I am a little confused on some of the C W lyrics...Orla says...if i could find me a handsome boatman to carry me over...
so if it were a man why would  he  care if the boatman was handsome or not...he just wants to get to his true love.....

same thing on other songs they sing...Meav sings  one I love 2 I love..3 she's true to me and later in the song she says
i will get no rest until HIS head lies on my breast...and then there is Carolina Rua...I think they don't mean themselves as the
gender of the song...but the presentation of the song as it is in their culture...what do you think???

shankdee

L.A. Girl

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2009, 06:31PM »

Maggie,

My friend dated Mickey Dolenz right before the Monkees came into prominence. Let's put it this way- it didn't lead anywhere. I probably should have gotten his autograph, though. After all, he was the star of Circus Boy. LOL

Orla's Carrickfergus is brilliant!

Dianne

Maggie
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 03:10AM »

My friend dated Mickey Dolenz right before the Monkees came into prominence. Let's put it this way- it didn't lead anywhere.

Your friend should thank her lucky stars for that!  Roll Eyes

Anyhow.....Carrickfergus has many variations. The lyrics have changed much over the years, and lost something in the translation.
I read an old version in Irish which completely changes the story.
It is generally thought these two lovers were seperated by politics and Faith......Carrickfergus being in Northern Ireland.
It seems the old guy singing may have been in the Military, protestant, and his love was Catholic, and is dead.
There does not seem to be a place called Ballygran or Ballygrand, as in some versions.
He may be from Islay, off the West of Scotland, where there is a place called Ballygrant.
"I wish I was in Carrickfergus
only for nights in Ballygrant"

This could mean he is reminiscing about the days he was stationed in Carrickfergus, and he might go over there,
if it wasn't for his drunken nights in Ballygrant.

Carrickfergus is on the East coast, North of Belfast. This should be a link to the map where 'A' is Ballygrant:
You may have to zoom out until you see Northern Ireland and Belfast:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=Map+Ballygrant+Islay+Scotland&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=oDBkSq7kNY2Ntge7hbj2Dw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1

It was not originally "handsome boatman" but "handy"....as sung by Van Morrison.

"To carry me over, to my love and die."
He want to cross the sea so he can die where his lover is still, in his memories.

The version I read says
"In Kilkenny she is recorded on marble stone as black as ink"
which is her grave stone. Maybe she was originally from Kilkenny, where her family have buried her.

It's always fun to find the meaning of convoluted lyrics! Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 03:59AM by Maggie » Logged
Maggie
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 04:21AM »

............same thing on other songs they sing...Meav sings  one I love 2 I love..3 she's true to me and later in the song she says
i will get no rest until HIS head lies on my breast...and then there is Carolina Rua...I think they don't mean themselves as the
gender of the song...but the presentation of the song as it is in their culture...what do you think???

Gender is irrelevant in these songs......it is the performance and the meaning of the lyrics that matters.

When theatre started, it was only performed by males. They played both male and female roles, and their acting should have been so good it wouldn't matter.

There are many Irish ballads meant for males to sing, but they are so meaningful it doesn't matter who sings them.

As I have explained before, many old ballads have hidden meanings.
There were political and/or religious meanings which had to be hidden from the British authorities.
As in Máiréad's "An raibh tú ag an gcarraig? "
There is a song called  "Shan Van Vocht" which means poor old woman. The woman is Ireland. Usually sung by men.

When the Irish language was banned by the British, love songs were cleverly written to conceal Patriotic songs.
So in some songs, the lover he or she is pledging love and loyalty to, is Ireland.
shankdee
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2009, 07:11PM »

Ok, that is pretty much what I figured out...thank for the tips along these lines..

Now, would you say Sting's version of Mo Ghlie Mear falls along those lines...??
He is singing the woman's part...give him strength and length of days...( the Irish)  and  the free are still not free...
Hew starts out my heart is sore, my tears will flow ( Ireland's lament)  Please excuse  O/t Moderators...I needed to know this about the song....

Thanks again for taking time to answer our many questions...

shankdee

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: