Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Impressions- St. Louis  (Read 1600 times)
searcher119

« on: April 14, 2009, 12:32PM »

First Impressions- Isle of Hope- Celtic Woman- St Louis

I will start at the beginning. Upon entering the Fox Theatre in St. Louis I was struck by the architecture which caused me to wonder if this wasn’t a burlesque theatre at one time. Entering from the back you could see the set. The set design was great, simple and portable yet elegant with the screen center stage and behind the action. Sorry, I look at these things being a former set designer. Kudos to Alan Farquharson and Tom Kenny!!!

As I said on a different thread my seats for both nights were to the far left of the stage from the audience point of view. Needless to say I could not see the screen and could barely see Ray or the piano player but this didn’t matter I was here to see the ladies and hear the music.

My first concert to see this group was last year so seeing Lisa perform live was a real treat. I agree with others on the forum that she definitely owns “The Voice” and “The Blessing” but “Field of Gold” will no doubt be hers as well. Lisa is just a consummate performer and it shows. Lynn seems to be finding her place and “Carolina Rua” was a great start. Alex won me over with “You’ll Be In My Heart” which I liked much better than “True Colors,” but than I never really cared for the song. Mairead always makes me smile and she did not disappoint me here. It is fascinating the way she can dance and play the fiddle at the same time and I always wonder how she avoids getting her hair tangled up in the strings. Her fiddle playing always reminds me of where much of our American music came from. The one that impressed me the most was Chloe. I know others have commented on how her voice has matured, I don’t know if it’s maturity or just hard work but it seems so much more powerful when projecting and sustaining a note from her upper register that it’s just overwhelming it witness. When she belted out the more soulful version of “When You Believe” I was so impressed. Lisa is going to have some competition when it comes to belting out a song. Of course “Nella Fantasia” was as it always is just beautiful. And as always it would not be Celtic Woman without the band and chorus members who always give their all.

For a tribute show I thought that Isle of Hope was perfect in it song selection, a little of both countries. The music as always from David Downes and Brendan Graham was superb and unforgettable, what an amazing duo. The costumes were gorgeous and made the ladies look fabulous in them. I must say “BRAVO!” to all the people associated with the show because you have a hit on you hands once again.

I can understand why so many people want to see this show over and over again and I am no exception. Unfortunately I will have to wait another two months or so for it to come to Kansas City but I will be replaying it over and over again in my mind.

Safe journey Celtic Woman and enjoy the ride!

avalonfreak06

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 12:32PM »

I totally agree, well said!! I was there on the Friday night show!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: