Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Celtic Woman such a phenomenon?  (Read 14607 times)
CWsenior
Total Fanatic

Me and my wonderful aunt

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 12:18PM »

your right let me correct my self it makes you stop for hours!! well thats at least what happened to me.  Smiley

~ashley~
Ggunsailor
Total Fanatic

Fill my glass, I'll sing a song!

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 03:18PM »

Personally I think it's their presence onstage.They're all so poised and graceful, it makes you wonder if they really are angels.
But then you see them grinning at each other and having fun with one another onstage, and you realize "Hey, they're just like we are!"
I hope that made sense to everyone.

"Music is something one can never be with out."-Me
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 04:08PM »

It makes perfect sense, they are of course just like we are but it`s us,the fans, that tend to elevate them to a special level....but that`s what fans do. We`re the ones who turned them into the phemomenon they are. But if they weren`t so beautiful and immensely talented, we wouldn`t have done so.You wonder at times if they say to themselves"hey guys,c`mon,we`re only human".They must get a chuckle over how we go on about them.

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
Ggunsailor
Total Fanatic

Fill my glass, I'll sing a song!

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 06:41PM »

It makes perfect sense, they are of course just like we are but it`s us,the fans, that tend to elevate them to a special level....but that`s what fans do. We`re the ones who turned them into the phemomenon they are. But if they weren`t so beautiful and immensely talented, we wouldn`t have done so.You wonder at times if they say to themselves"hey guys,c`mon,we`re only human".They must get a chuckle over how we go on about them.
I bet they do. Grin
Also I believe it's the way they act with us the fans; they speak with us all as if we're one of the family. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 06:43PM by Ggunsailor » Logged

"Music is something one can never be with out."-Me
Gail

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 11:20PM »

I like the answer "God smiled ..... and Celtic Woman was born"

That is the one that really fits !!  (God blessed each one with beauty, vocal ability, poise, presence; He gave David and [that entertainment woman - I don't know her name] the blessing of knowing who to put together & when, with the additional blessings of having the feel for what songs to use, and the ability to do gorgeous arrangements)

David Downes, etc., should never have even wondered if CW would make it after doing that first concert - the PBS people say that CW got noticed and was big after viewers saw that first concert (there's a lot of us either direct Irish or with roots in that culture that want to delve into it - Scots & Irish festivals report membership in those societies & attendance at the gatherings UP year after year); when the second concert - at Slane Castle was shown, with everyone clearly having fun (dancing & singing), the PBS people said that CW had become HUGE, a "phenomenon", & that concerts were selling out FAST !!! The fan base has been growing ever since.
Gail

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 11:29PM »

Sorry I've been away for a few days - I had to have emergency dental surgery Monday (cracked tooth on top of old root canal that went bad causing an abscess). I get reactions to anesthetics & medications, so I have to be very careful what I'm given - during surgeries or just during treatments, & have been dealing with the pain since Monday'; then I had migraines for two days - on top of that - from our Santa Ana winds (that also started the Santa Barbara fires - even though that town is quite a way up the coast from L.A. We do get warm & hot winds out here on the cliffs, too (only 2 blocks from the water).

My pain finally started easing up yesterday afternoon, now I'm just exhausted (my whole body tenses up bearing the pain, whether surgical or migraine) - think I'll take it easy, some, this weekend.
rodzilla

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 06:03PM »

First of all, Gail, hope you feel better.

My co-workers, who think I am crazy when I talk about the girls would often go to YouTube an see clips.  They come back and say the same thing...the music is HEAVENLY and the girls are beautiful.  To me its addicting...I can never get tired of these songs...must be the OCCWD.

"Nil Se'n La"--Seize the Day!
shankdee
Honorary Roadie

"We were all talking about you" said Lisa Kelly

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 01:56AM »

It is simply, a feast, the songs, the instrumentals, the girls and their interactions, David and Lisa presenting one of his lovely songs, and there's more....like I said, it is a musical Feast..there is a wonderful young lady who plays the violin with such finess while at the same time gracefully moving around the stage, or a wonderful harpist who sings such polished songs, you can't believe that it is real. . . .then there ia beautiful woman in a Mermaid dress that my bro-in-law said was the most beautiful dress he had ever seen, and of course the lady wearing it was beautiful also, and there was a youth among them, born with a blessed gift and raised on a musical scale like no other so that from the age of 11 onward she sang, won acclaim with her perfect tones and smiles that can light up a stage,  and her sweetness propelled her into the hearts of children,young men, seniors, and a wide wide receptive audience..and also briefly, there was another youth, slender with a powerful voice which she had learned to control and sang without fear to audiences all over the world. Now, presently this wonderful feast of music is joined by two other lovely lady singers who likewise have the vocal power to sustain them on stage as directed by the Maestro himself, David Downes...as the thread from our
Bumper Stickers said, "God Smiled...and Celtic Woman was born!!![
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 01:58AM by shankdee » Logged

Thanks For my Beautiful Deirdre Banner...GodsHorseGirl* * *
Celtic Kiwi

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 04:48AM »

All you gotta do is play one of there songs, and you'll know why they are such a big hit.
I became an instant fan after hearing only two songs. And 2 weeks after finding out about
them, I already have there first two DVD's and CD's.

The Music,
The Songs,
The Show,
and of course,
The Singing.
There is nothing else quite like it.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:57AM by Celtic Kiwi » Logged
Gail

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 05:33PM »

Thank you, Rodzilla, for inquiring regarding my recovery. It's getting better each day, the pain still coming & going. I AM taking it easy this weekend, spending some time on the web at particular favorite sites (this being one of them), & sewing (relaxing to me - my mind wanders all over the place thinking of things - like the song, "Windmills of My Mind").

After putting my comment in the other night, I realized I'd forgotten to mention Mairead in the "blessings" bit. But, that does without saying - and I was a bit preoccupied dealing with an aching jaw.
Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 07:29PM »

I'll add my two cents:  As Chloë said in the Greatest Journey documentary, none of the girls changed who they were or their style for the show.  They're just themselves.  I think that is a key component as well.  Their genuinity is very clear and it extends beyond the stage to those around them.  It's hard to find that kind of genuinity and innocence these days and yet it's what many people long for.  CW has that and I believe that plays a huge role in how loved they are as well.  They are simply themselves, and have hearts of gold.

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 07:37PM »

I think the fact that the Ladies don`t seem to have "attitudes" or inflated egos is refreshing to all of us. I`ve often wondered if it`s because they`re from Ireland? They honestly seem to appreciate the praise and love we send their way and it doesn`t "go to their heads". A breath of fresh air in these days.

thanks EVI

Love, Evi.
shankdee
Honorary Roadie

"We were all talking about you" said Lisa Kelly

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 01:58AM »

We are now listening to Miss Chloe Agnew sing ,and it makes me cry, it is so tenderly rendered, so sincere, all of them project sincerity in a  world of hype and falsness- this is one of the keys to the "phenomenon" as we like to refer to it. When they sing, we all say Angels are singing to us because that is what it sounds like to us that angels may sound like directly from the Pearly Gates, if you will. They come to us with vocal training that has only enhanced their singing, and make their songs such a cut above most others. This training combined with their song choices from the classical and traditional realms of music along with the sincerity in their souls lifts them , and makes them soar on wings of songs to an adoring audience world wide. Now, I have only seen them on DVD, and Listened to the CD collection of all their individual studio work. So, I am looking forward to seeing them in person this summer. From what I have read on the Forum seeing them in person makes all the difference in
the world in the CW experience. So, I will see for myself if this is so.
We are now listening to Orla Fallon singing Shull Aruin...so beautiful, so polished, and the harp throughout I need to end this post before I get "timed out"...I wanted to contribute that I think the phenomenon is a combination of voices, talent, training, song choices, sincerity, and the CLASS of David Downes-he is a genius.

shankdee
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 02:08AM by shankdee » Logged

Thanks For my Beautiful Deirdre Banner...GodsHorseGirl* * *
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 02:29PM »

Got to thinking about this one sgain. Of course we`ve all gone on about their talent and beauty but these ladies(and I include ALL,past and present) have a particular class and elegance that we just don`t see anymore.Thery`re well spoken, polite,they dress in beautiful gowns(on stage).They`re real LADIES all the way. Withthe Madonna`s, Britney`s ,Lindsay`s. that`s thrown at us, here are some beautiful ,elegant ,classy LADIES .You could be so proud to introduce any one of them to your family.The Republic of Ireland had to show us what the meaning of CLASS and ELEGANCE is.They make us CW fans PROUD to have the privilage to support them.Ladies,NOBODY does it better than you and we thank you.

thanks EVI

Love, Evi.
bpea55

Orlagh, So happy for you, Mom to be! WOO HOO!!!

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 03:02PM »

I think it's because they Love what they do, and really care about ( and really know HOW to) make their music a beautiful thing, and have fun at the same time...all too rare these days!
And they let it show!
Bp

"While we seek Myrth and Beauty and Music light and gay, there are frail forms waiting at the door.....though their voices are silent, their pleading lips will say,
"Oh, Hard times, come again no more..."
Thanks so much Orlagh!
I will always remember...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: