Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: O, America Lyrics  (Read 57256 times)
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« on: May 28, 2009, 06:01PM »

We have been asked to post the correct lyrics for O, America.  Several different versions have popped up in the past few days.  These were received from the source, so they are accurate.

Music: William Joseph
Words: Brendan Graham

O, America you’re calling,
I can hear you calling me:
You are calling me to be true to thee,
True to thee… I will be.

O, America no weeping,
Let me heal your wounded heart:
I will keep you in my keeping,
Till there be… a new start.

And I will answer you, and I will take your hand,
And lead you… to the sun:
And I will stand by you…do all that I can do,
And we will be… as one.

O, America I hear you,
From your prairies to the sea,
From your mountains grand, and all through this land,
You are beautiful to me.

And… O, America you’re calling,
I can hear you calling me:
You are calling me to be true to thee,
True to thee… I will be.

And I will answer you, and I will take your hand,
And lead you… to the sun:
And I will stand by you… do all that I can do,
And we will be…as one.

O, America you’re calling…
I will ever answer thee.

O, America! by Brendan Graham and William Joseph (C) 2008 by Peermusic (UK) Ltd. (PRS), Songs of Peer, Ltd.(ASCAP) and Paybill Publishing (ASCAP) All Rights on behalf of Peermusic (UK) Ltd. Controlled and Administered by Peermusic III, Ltd.(BMI). All Rights of behalf of Paybill Publishing Controlled and Administered by Songs of Peer, Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Used by Permission.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 06:28PM »

Absolutely beautiful. Another masterpiece by Brendan Graham!

Also, I would just like to say that I've been singing the chorus to this song nonstop for the past three days, and I really don't do a very good job of it. Better leave it to the experts. Grin

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
07-sara
Bodhrán Player

Smile, you never know who's watching.

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 08:39PM »

Thank you for posting the correct lyrics!

Happy is what happens, when all your dreams come true!

Sara
lisalover7 (LL7)
Bodhrán Player

"I begged and I begged and I begged and I begged"

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 08:44PM »

I swear I hear Lisa sing you're instead of no...guess i need my hearing checked lol

Let Me Tell You That I Love You...
mkjlovescw

Nashville 9-01-10

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 10:59PM »

I swear I hear Lisa sing you're instead of no...guess i need my hearing checked lol

I could hav sworn she said "you're" also!!  (first line of second verse)
 Huh Huh Huh

*Listening again on youtube*    Sure sounds like "O America you're weeping" to me   Huh 
IDK,   but I trust Rich!!

Take care and God Bless,
Melissa

With Gratitude to Celtic~Fan~73
mkjlovescw

Nashville 9-01-10

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 09:41PM »

Just read the lyrics on Official O America Blog site.

Rich,    so sorry I doubted you!!!!!   Embarrassed      Can u ever forgive me?Huh  Cry

Take care and God Bless,
Melissa

With Gratitude to Celtic~Fan~73
Angie
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 01:20PM »

Thank you for those Rich - I love that song - brilliant - and such a tribute to the U.S. and to US U.S. fans - and thank you to Brendan Graham and William Joseph, we really appreciate it.

Albertan

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 06:40PM »

I recently came across this song on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3IRl6QjJMo&feature=related for those who haven't heard it yet), and was awe-struck. Chloe's introduction really set the context for the song. I immediately recognized the tune as William Joseph's "Sweet Remembrance Of You" from his recent "Beyond" CD. (This tune was also my favorite number from William's concert here in Edmonton last month, but I digress...)

I immediately began to wonder who the lyricist was, and my search brought me to this thread.

I was delighted -- but hardly surprised -- to discover that the author was none other than lyricist extraordinaire Brendan Graham. My favorite instrumental group is Secret Garden, though they occasionally bring in guest singers to perform vocal numbers. Their most recent CD (still not yet released in North America  Cry Cry ) is "Inside I'm Singing" and  consists mostly of lyrics set to previous instrumental numbers. And almost exclusively, those lyrics came from the pen of Brendan Graham.

Brendan has authored such notable  Secret Garden numbers as "You Raise Me Up", "Raise Your Voices" and "My Land" (the last of which he co-wrote with his daughter Alana). Inasmuch as CW also has a connection to Brendan through their "signature song" YRMU, it is only fitting that they would have turned to him for the "O, America" lyrics.

Gordon
Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 02:38AM »

Ok me and Sara both have listened intently at the WPB shows and on the  You Tube.

Yes the ORIG words are "no weeping" but

WE believe, and I have watched Lisa's lips (have deaf coworkers, so I have learned to read lips a little), that she is saying "You're".

There are always a few word changes in a song from the orignial lyrical writing.

Course we could just wait to hear from our inside source on all things Lisa  Wink Grin

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 05:45AM »

Yes, she sings "you're weeping"

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
lisalover7 (LL7)
Bodhrán Player

"I begged and I begged and I begged and I begged"

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 02:57PM »

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I don't need my hearing check Grin

Let Me Tell You That I Love You...
Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 02:49AM »

Yes, she sings "you're weeping"

YESSSSSS!!! I KNEW IT!!...

Frank S

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 11:37PM »

Going to see them this Sunday (28th) in Tulsa.

This is a beautiful song - they've got a winner!
AmandaLKlvr

Let me sail, Let me sail, with the Orinoco Flow!!

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 04:19PM »

Okay, so Lisa usually sings "you're weeping" but on GMA & the Today show, she sang "no weeping"   Huh
Personally I like "you're weeping" better- idk I guess it just flows better.....

.-Amanda-.
Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 09:15AM »

Yes, I figured she was singing "you're" weeping.  Every time I've heard the song, that's what I've heard her sing.  It makes the most sense, and flows better, to my mind and personalizes the song more.

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: