Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your height  (Read 56282 times)
Don S

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2009, 07:18AM »

6'1" or perhaps even a bit more (first thing in the morning).
But like most of us I'm about an inch shorter by the end of a long day (I'm told that's natural).

--
Don

Bluefire
Total Fanatic

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2009, 08:06AM »

like most of us I'm about an inch shorter by the end of a long day (I'm told that's natural).

O/T:  Compression throughout the day due to gravity, I assume.

And if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free!
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 08:17AM »

.....or butting your head up against a wall trying to get things done during the day.  Apparently, everyone is taller earlier in the day than at the end.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:18AM by Kevin R.I. » Logged

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 08:20AM »

Start the day backwards and you will grow<g>

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Meow

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 08:23AM »

I'm almost 5'1" - I was 5 ft. even from about 7th grade up through the end of college.  Then I grew almost an inch in college!  Yay for late growth spurts! Smiley

like most of us I'm about an inch shorter by the end of a long day (I'm told that's natural).

O/T:  Compression throughout the day due to gravity, I assume.

Yes - it's a result of fluid loss due to compression.  The intervertebral disks are fluid filled, so during the day when the spine is vertical, compression forces fluid out of the disks.  This results in decreased height.  At night when the spine is horizontal, lack of compression allows uptake of fluid into the disks, resulting in increased height.  The better hydrated you are, the more height you will lose.  (However, it's still extremely important to stay hydrated!  Height loss during the day is not pathological!!)

Thanks Evita (Lisaniac #1) for both banners!!
celticheart18
Honorary Roadie

You'll always have my heart...

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 09:36AM »

Sara(CH18),you should have become a model....you`re the right height.
well thank you! however...i don't exactly possess the grace and poise required to be a model ie i have trouble walking on flat surfaces in flat shoes lol
lisalover7 (LL7)
Bodhrán Player

"I begged and I begged and I begged and I begged"

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 12:32PM »

do they take short models...even though i'm lacking in the grace department as well Grin

Let Me Tell You That I Love You...
Enchanted

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 01:09PM »

I don't know why there should be a connection between height and modeling, but people do tend to associate tall with modeling.  Certainly there are plenty of attractive people who are not tall.  I once dated a woman who was 4'-11" and I am 6'-4" tall.
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2009, 03:32PM »

THERE ARE A LOT OF ATTRACTIVE PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT TALL? like the most beautiful woman on the face of the earth, in the universe. She plays the fiddle for Celtic Woman in case you were wondering.

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
celticheart18
Honorary Roadie

You'll always have my heart...

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 03:59PM »

i read somehwere that she is 5'0 which isn't exactly tall compared to my 5'11 but you are right, beautiful comes in many shapes and sizes
Maggie
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 04:46PM »

Certainly there are plenty of attractive people who are not tall.

Absolutely! Height has no bearing on how attractive someone is.....
I have known some super people at both ends of the measuring tape.

There is a presenter on a local Orlando TV Channel, she usually gets the Outside Broadcast jobs.
Her name is Christine Van Blokland.
She has a terrific personality, very lively, chirpy and energetic. She is particularly good with children.
She is about the same height as Máiréad, and looks quite similar.

Here she is with children who are at a Summer Cookery Camp:

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/Cool_Camp_of_the_week_Young_Chefs_Academy
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 05:34PM by Maggie » Logged
Kyradriel

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2009, 05:24PM »

I'm 5'3"  Smiley The lady who runs the workout place I go to is about Máiréad's height and she has more energy than anyone I know. I drag my lazy butt in there around 9am, cranky because it's morning, and she's all 'HI THERE!! *ubergrin*'

CWsenior
Total Fanatic

Me and my wonderful aunt

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2009, 05:41PM »

Im an amazing 5'7 or 5'6
everyone else in my family are alot taller then me by at least 4 inchs

~ashley~
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 05:44PM »

Yes - it's a result of fluid loss due to compression.  The intervertebral disks are fluid filled, so during the day when the spine is vertical, compression forces fluid out of the disks.  This results in decreased height.  At night when the spine is horizontal, lack of compression allows uptake of fluid into the disks, resulting in increased height.  The better hydrated you are, the more height you will lose.  (However, it's still extremely important to stay hydrated!  Height loss during the day is not pathological!!)
I thought the taller in the morning thing was a myth. See, you learn a lot here on this forum! But...

How much fluid can really build up in those tissues? I can see the logic where maybe a little height can be gained because of this, but I would think it minimal and that it would quickly get pressured out once one stands up. Wouldnt you need to take your height seconds after standing up to see any additional height? Also, if its gravity related, then once you stand up, more fluid should go to your feet. So wouldnt you gain some height from that? It seems that would counter some of the effect of spine compression / horizontal effect.

Just thought of something else so had to edit my post...

It assumes that you sleep on your back, so the spine would be the lowest area to gravity. What if you wake up after sleeping on your belly? Wouldnt gravity pull the fluid out of the spine tissue and send it down to the front areas?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 06:22PM by Cash » Logged

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
sioned

celtaholic, pleidiol rwyf im gwlad,cymru

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2009, 06:26PM »

5.4 and a 1/2

Music is the light,that shines and guides your soul.Embrace it with every fiber in your being!!!!

I'r sawl a roddaf lawer , bydd disgwyl llawer ganddynt.

thanx to scott for the banner Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: