Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Wolftrap Show (8 June 2009)  (Read 1547 times)
Don S

« on: June 11, 2009, 08:59AM »

I first had the privilege of seeing Celtic Woman live at Wolftrap almost exactly two years ago, and had been looking forward to the show since it was announced last year.  This time I had broken down and joined the Wolftrap foundation so I would have a chance at better seats though.  Wolftrap's Filene Center is a wonderful venue, if you get a chance to attend a concert there don't pass it up.

I headed out from my office in Tysons Corner for a late "lunch" to check just where I was going to be sitting this time (Row H Seats 3-4).  Also, my daughter had asked me to check if there were still any lawn seats left.  The nice lady at the box office surprised me telling me that they had just had some additional tickets released (the house had been advertised as sold out for quite awhile), so I grabbed her a ticket (in Row M).  Unfortunately in my hurry to get to my office really early I had forgotten to grab the birthday present I had planned to drop off with security for Chloë, oh well, perhaps next time (Red Rocks or Richmond if I can swing the funds).

Made a quick run home, to change and pick up my housemate Kathy and then off to pickup my daughter at her place.  We enjoyed an early dinner in Tysons Corner and then headed down Route 7 and back to Wolftrap.  I had called ahead about handicapped parking, and wound up parking literally backstage.  After they opened the back/south gate, we headed in and almost the first group of people I saw were the Máiréad forum folks (the "fiddler crossing" signs are distinctive, and most had "Happy Birthday Chloë" on the back).  So, after heading up to get a program I stopped to say hello.  It was really nice to meet them and I was gifted with a Máiréad forum button and invited to join their forum.

Loved the show, the best of the live shows I've attended.  I especially liked Lisa's version of "Fields of Gold" and then there were the new group numbers "Isle of Hope, Isle of Tears" and "Oh America!" both brought tears to my eyes.  Chloë, Lynn and Máiréad were wonderful, I can nearly hear the words when Máiréad plays "Shenandoah".  This was the first time to see Alex in person, and I was impressed.  "Fields of Gold", "Oh America!" and many of the others will no doubt be stuck in my head for the foreseeable future, and trying to get me to choreograph a kite ballet routine or three to them.  I've tried before, but Máiréad's music is hard for me to do justice too. 

It was interesting how many people left early though (before the finale, much less "Spanish Lady"), as people squeezed by us I told them, but it's not over yet!  When the show ended our general thought was "Want to do it again!"  (I'm sure they could sell out the Filene center for two nights.)

It took nearly as long to get back out to Trap road from the parking lot "backstage" than the rest of the trip home though.  We got home about midnight after taking my daughter to her place and proceeded to fend off the cats who were really pissed that the second part of their dinner was hours late.  Crashed immediately as I had to get up far to early to go to work Tuesday.  Somewhere during the night the concert started running through my head again and again.  Even with Ray's drums booming along with cymbals and lights, no wait, that was the early morning thunderstorm but the booming was right on cue anyway...  At least the storm waited until we were all safely home (it was originally predicted to happen about showtime).

I noticed that Máiréad had braces on both knees Monday and hope that she is feeling well, and that she doesn't try to push herself to far for us all.  I know knee pain far to well and sometimes use a knee brace or even a cane (as I did on Monday mostly as a preventative measure).

--
Don

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: