Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: O, AMERICA! July 5 performance!!!!  (Read 22209 times)
greenfire6
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2009, 09:56PM »

I’m too am disappointed by the treatment Celtic Woman received, but not upset or surprised. My expectations are always tempered by my low opinion of these variety shows. GMA’s performance last week was sure enough a breath of fresh air, but overall these shows are what they are. Should they ever change, I agree, Mel’s letter is and example of what could effect that positive change. Sorry for the negativity but I won't hold my breath.

We fans are used to CW in their superb live performances and DVDs where CW LTD is in control of everything and perfection abounds. When they are guest of a TV studio, or an ice skating show, they trade some, or loads, of that control for the additional exposure they will receive. Yet there is a long term value in making these appearances.

What I prefer to focus on is this: Appearances like this only cause me to love and admire “the Celtic Women” (all nine of them to date) even more. To me they are more than professionals. I mean, here they are at the end of a very long tour. They must be beyond homesick at this point only to be informed of another “mission”. Like good soldiers everywhere they roll out of their racks at an early hour and courageously step out- in their case to a TV studio. Maybe what I’m trying to convey is best expressed in this excerpt from a lighthearted fiction I wrote over two years ago after witnessing a couple of variety show appearances:

Introducing potential new fan birds to the beauty of Teltic music is a never ending challenge. The want to attract new fan birds was not only to increase the incoming birdseed but also a desire to simply share the music and songs they love. To this end it was organized that the staring birds would appear on a number of morning news and variety AvianVision shows during the tour.

All artists, all the time, the staring birds are also good soldier-birds. They accept that these promotional chores are necessary, and strive to make the best of it. On the appointed mornings the staring birds would rise well before morning light, wash, and preen their feathers whilst trying to fully awaken. On the way to the AvianVision studio they would warm up their voices, smooth out harmony, and only wonder what awaited them.

Upon arrival they would be rushed in to roost and chirp on camera with an anchorette/interviewer bird. Typically, the beautiful, blue-eyed, redheaded songbird with the voice of an angel (the exceptionally gracious and graceful one that is also a world-class harpist) would be roosted closest to the camera and/or closest to the anchorette bird. Often the anchorette bird’s show prep was lacking even to the point of not knowing the songbirds from the fiddle bird or any birds name for that matter. Despite the anchorette bird’s fumbling the staring birds would always remain radiant, patient and well chirped.

During these interviews the beautiful, blue eyed, redheaded songbird with the voice of an angel (if you’ve forgotten- she’s the exceptionally gracious and graceful one that is also an extremely skilled harpist) would softly emerge as the primary chirper. This seemed to be by mutual consent among the staring birds, although they are very poised and eloquent all. These interviews would conclude with the songbirds and fiddle bird taking wing with a lively ensemble number.

Surely their heavenly voices accompanied by fiddle bird’s beauty and sweet strains must get the attention of many a viewer bird.[/
i]
edanargu

Celtic Woman fan from Mexico!

« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2009, 09:57PM »

Oh guys! how lucky you are because you live in USA
here in mexico I am not able to watch this tv program.
I have to wait to someone upload it to the web
anyway!... it's always wonderful to see them in a show like this performing for USA
They're always great

Celtic Woman do not know borders. They also live inside the heart of a Mexican fan.
Gail

« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2009, 11:02PM »

I echo your comments. I was thinking Today was on later than it apparently is, and missed it entirely, so THANK YOU for putting the video in the website - HOWEVER, was disappointed, as you all were, to have them suddenly cut off. I will let Today know my thoughts, nicely, but firmly.

I noticed the sound wasn't quite right, too, & they waited until the last second before putting them on.
shankdee
Honorary Roadie

"We were all talking about you" said Lisa Kelly

« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2009, 02:49AM »

Lips sealed  I do not understand why it was cut off..but didn;'t they look radiant beyound belief? ? ?
       A little is better than nothing...now on to the I O H  DVD taping July 29...
       thank you sooo much for the Linki !!!

shankdee

Thanks For my Beautiful Deirdre Banner...GodsHorseGirl* * *
Ganconagh

Resistance is futile

« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2009, 08:29AM »

I watched the TODAY Show performance Sunday morning and could not believe that after 4 months and (what?) 10,000 miles on the road (in a bus!) the girls could look so beautiful.  Maybe they spent Saturday relaxing at a spa or something, but they have never looked better.  The sound left something to be desired, and they didn't get to finish the performance, but we take what we can get.

"Face piles of trials with smiles.  It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free."
Don S

« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2009, 09:25AM »

I finally got to watch the YouTube version of the presentation yesterday and am too disappointed in the Today shows apparent time management issues and production values last Sunday.  I have sent email's to our local affiliate (who didn't even carry that part of the Today show), and to the Today show itself.  My email to the Today show closely mirror's Mel's in tone first thanking them for having Celtic Woman on, then oh so politely pointing out that their cutting off the girls mid-song was disrespectful and finally asking them to invite the girls to perform again in the future.  If we are going to complain I believe that it's important that we be polite while doing it if we hope for a good outcome.

That said...
The Girl's looked beautiful in the video I watched, such wonderful expressions during the performance Sunday.  Great closeups of all the girls too, even if the cameras weren't always focused on the one we would have expected at that point in the song.  I can see why some have said that the sound left something to be desired though, but for "live" TV it was pretty good. 

--
Don

Rosie Allen
Total Fanatic

"You tell 'em Lise!"

« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2009, 12:21PM »

I was bummed that they ended so abruptly, too.  But every time I see them,
I thank God for such wholesome women in my life and in my world.  I hope
they take some well deserved rest and come back to us soon!  I think TODAY
may have gotten the point by now!  Cheesy

edanargu

Celtic Woman fan from Mexico!

« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2009, 02:55PM »

OMG! it was jus awesome!!

Celtic Woman do not know borders. They also live inside the heart of a Mexican fan.
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2009, 05:18PM »

I have just emailed the Today show and told them of my dissappointment, basically what I just posted perviously.
I let them know that they owe an apology to CW and their fans.
I urge everyone to contact the Today show....

email address:  TODAY@nbcuni.com

address:  Today Show
              30 Rockerfeller Plaza
              New York, N.Y. 10112

phone:  212-664-4602

I'll let you know if I ever get a response... Angry
Howard

Thanks for the direction, Howard, and the contact information by which we may contact to NBC to voice our displeasure with the rude manner in which O, America was interrupted on Sunday morning.  Here is my email to them, which I hope may highlight to them what a faux pas it was symbolically for them to so thoughtlessly end their appearance mid-song:

Dear NBC's Today Show:

When the Today show rudely cut-off Irish group Celtic Woman's performance of O, America prior to it's climax on Sunday morning, it was something of a slap in the face by their hosts and an embarrassment to viewers; to have the last performance on their Isle of Hope tour end, not with a thank you, but unceremoniously without even a goodbye.  The Isle of Hope, being a salute to the America of Ellis Island and one of the few this country ever gets from anybody--cut off in their last salute of the tour in the city and state they have heralded throughout this tour and where they have in interviews expressed such pride in appearing!  What was so important that the last minute of the song could not be presented?  Their appearance on the show ended the tour,  immediately following which they boarded a plane to return to Ireland.  Nice send-off!

The show owes this wonderful group, loved by America and its viewers, an apology.  Today/NBC should make amends by having them back and allotting them considerably more time.  A prime time special would be more of a treat to your many viewers who are their avid fans. 

John W. Mann
Lexington, KY 

rick,

« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2009, 05:22PM »

Great letter John.  Cheesy Cheesy

Máiréad Nesbitt Fan Club www.maireadfanclub.com
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2009, 04:23PM »

Thanks Rick!  Only a form e-mail reply thus far from Today.  I encourage everyone to email likewise.  Whether you consider the song cutoff to be egregious or not, it wouldn't hurt to let them know of the vast popular support this group has in terms of interesting NBC in having them back--or for perhaps bigger projects.  Wink Grin

lovelycherylwinner
Total Fanatic

« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2009, 07:43PM »

Good letter John. You can voice your opinion but yes you must be respectful about it. They will be back later this year and into early next year for another tour and need to get the respect and love they deserve. They will get more airtime on the various networks.

The treasure of true freindship will never lose its glow.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: