Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Columbus 4/5/07 Review  (Read 16401 times)
Mel
Honorary Roadie

« on: April 06, 2007, 09:13AM »

Celtic Woman Review
The Palace Theater
Columbus, Ohio
April 5th, 2007.

This is being posted at both Lisa's Forum and at the CWForum.

I will apolgize for the long, extremely long review, but I just had to get all my feelings out.

The Palace Theater: 2,827 seats, built in 1926.

Prelude: My love of Celtic Woman started back in March of 2005 with the Helix show. I was among many who was just doing the usual, what is on tv channel surfing. As I passed the PBS station in our area (WOSU), I heard the strains of a song, and reversed course. It was Orinoco Flow. Now at first I thought is was Enya's version, as I have her CD, since that is my fav of all her songs. But no..it wasn't Enya, it was 3 beautiful Ladies, who I later learned were Lisa, Orlagh and Meav, and I was hooked from the start. Now THIS is my favorite version of Orinoco Flow. Thus began my Journey into a whole new world.

Once I found out they were coming back to Columbus (missed them the last time due to being sold out), I had hesitated at getting the M&G tickets at the time due to the high cost, so I just waited till the tickets went on public sale. On Jan 27, 2007, I obtained my ticket for my first show, April 5th. I was dancing with joy. At that time, I had all these emotions built up, since I had no one to express my passion for the music and the ladies, and how they had really, touched my heart and soul (something I was begining to think I lacked). Then I did a search at Yahoo groups for a Celtic Woman group, and that is where I found the link to the CW Forum. This was at the end of February, and once I joined, immediately found Lisa's Forum...and HOME. Finally I was able to realize I was not alone in my passion. And since then, I have met alot of new friends (waves at some of them).

And now..the Review.

Preshow: I have been a little crazy since I first recieved my ticket thru email. The other Lisa Forum members know what I am talking about. But though my enthusiasm online was sometimes out of control, in real life I was still my usual reserved self. My fingers have a mind of their own  Wink.  As the weeks counted down, and I read more and more reviews, I started becoming nervous, and anxious about the show. I had seen the various guest appeances on TV, I started having intrepedations that the Live show would not live up to what others had previously posted about. I never mentioned it, since I know it was just my self doubt raising it's ugly head again. I started having the lack of sleep, distracted mind, etc. I did finally, a week before the show go on a Fast..no ANJ or Helix CD's or DVD's. I did still listen to the solo CD's of Lisa, Chloe, and Hayley, and the Celtic Woman Christmas CD (which I think was not a good idea  Grin. I wanted to purge my senses of the songs, and feelings that they brought, so when I did go to the show, it would be like an empty vessel being filled again.

Day Has Arrived: I had only 5hrs of sleep, which was the most I have had in about a week, at one time. But when I got home at 10:30am I did take a 1/2 hr power nap which did me a world of good. I then got online to pass the time, which was going by way too slow. But finally, at 3pm, I got ready, made sure I had my ticket, tissues, binoculars, money and headed downtown. As I passed The Palace, I saw the buses. The Palace is situated on a corner, with 2 main roads and 2 alleys. There were 2 buses in each alley. That is when I finally realized..that Celtic Woman was in Columbus. I parked in the parking garage on the other side of the alley, overlooking 2 of the buses. I then went to the Starbuck's on the opposite corner from the Palace. I then waited till 6pm (when it closed), and sat in the car til 6:15. I finally went into the ticket area of the Palace, and found only 3 other people so far, so I was able to claim my spot in front of one of the lobby doors. It was freezing as there was no heating in that area. But I didn't mind. I did love seeing the SOLD OUT sign  Grin in the ticket window. Now periodically as I stood there looking thru the door, I had to bow my head, so the people on the other side wouldn't be wondering why that woman on the other side had a stupid grin pop up once in a while. Couldn't help it, I kept thinking WHO was on the other side, and WHAT would be happening in just a while.

Then at 7pm, the doors open. I had already mapped out my route. First, get a bottle of water. Second hit the CW merchandise, of which I bought: Tote Bag, T shirt, coffee mug, key chain, program, and the most important..THE POSTER. I could of bought more, but I did need to leave something for other people to buy LOL. I then headed for the Ladies room, cause all that coffee and ice tea and the cold weather was hitting me. Then time to find where I was sitting. My ticket said Row M, seat 125. So we went down, and down..and down. I decided that if I couldn't have the first 3 rows, that the seat I had..was absolutely perfect!. Once the people in the seats in front sat down, I knew it was PERFECT. No tall heads..I had a complete, unblocked view of the stage. I checked my binoculars, using the name on one of the drums to get them in focus, and realized these were going to work GREAT. Kept looking at the time on my cell phone. At 7:45 the mist started up, and it hit me. The short breathlessness, the verge of tears, had to keep biting my lips to keep from breaking down. That nagging insecurity was also hitting me. But then..the lights dimmed..and darkness..

and then....

The first strains of Mairead's fiddle...breath Mel, breath..and then the lights hit a figure in the mist ....Mairead ... gulp....in the shadows, 4 figures appeared..with..Lisa in the front..and..breath Mel, breath (I am shaking now as I write this)...and then the first notes of The Sky, The Dawn and the Sun..and the lights hit Lisa, and OMG...was I dreaming..was this really real?...then Chloe appeared, then Hayley, then Orlagh..and then...the first notes of the song...and all my worries just flew out the window...and ...as I brought up my binoculars to get my first of many close up views...I was shaking so much I couldn't see..and...I  just melted into the voices of the most wonderful, lovely women of all time.

Lisa with her lovely, warming smile.
Chloe with her beautiful eyes and angelic face
Mairead with her fiestiness
Hayley with her cute, yet sophisticated look
Orlagh with her dreamer looks

The costumes were wonderful, I can't go into details of color as I was mostly transfixed on all the ladies faces, but what I do remember is they all looked stunning. But I do remember Lisa's green dress in the second half...she just was radiant. And her hair was just beautiful. It has become lighther again since the Feb 14th HSN show I had first seen her with the new doo. She also has feathered it a little on the sides..and it just look awesone on her.

And all the little special moments, that were just so memorable, which I will mention in the song review.

All the CW moves were there:
The Orinoco Wave
The Spanish Lady Shoulder Flex
The Voice Outstretched Arms and Chest clutch
The Mo Ghile Mear shuffle
Granuaile's Dance The LOOK
The Caledonia Bounce
and so many more new ones.

The music, I really liked the newer music. Yes there was recorded orchestrated music, but they didn't need a live orchestra. This show was about the Ladies, the Chorus, The Drums, the Pipes, the Flutes, the Guitar, and the Fiddle. It works! And to lay to rest once and final...The Ladies DID sing LIVE. This was NOT Memorex.

And now the songs: and just to add, the ladies Nailed every song! Not one bad note at all!

Act 1:

The Sky, The Dawn, The Sun: What can I say, but WOW...Mystical doesn't even touch what I was feeling with this first song. From the first strains of Mairead's Fiddle to the end...just..WOW.

Caledonia: Lisa was just Awesome in this song. I loved this song before..but now..breath, Mel, breath..and yes..there it was..that Bounce...and the Friends I have found wave....sigh...

The Butterfly: I had to laugh when she is chasing Lisa off stage..Lisa started to chase back ROFL.
This little Woman can fly! And she wasn't even warmed up yet!. She really give all sorts of looks, that just make you laugh out loud....breath Mel, calm down..

Danny Boy: Since I have Hayley's version, I was not surprised by it, other than it being sung live..and She was DEAD on with this song. Yes I love Meav's version too. But Hayley has her own style and I love it. Ok..so Hayley and Chloe are second under Lisa on my list lol. Again, I had to keep taking breaths as I kept choking up, and pinching myself to believe this was all real.

The Prayer: I love this song, heck I love them all, but anyways, Chloe was perfect. Those eyes, that little smile..just pure heaven, again, tears started to form.

Siuil A Run: I will always love Lisa's version off her CD, but now I will also, after seeing Orlagh sing it live, listen to this one again.

Orinoco Flow: this song has come to a full circle for me. This is the one that started it all for me and Celtic Woman. When Lisa, Hayley and Orlagh moved toward the front..again, fighting back tears. Then..I did the Wave with them..good thing I was on the aisle ...stop smiling so much Mel, ya gonna break something.

Granuaile's Dance: That Mairead..what can I say about her...she is just a fleeting sprite, spitfire, leaping pixie..and those LOOKs she keeps giving the Ray and Nick, or the audience. This is my fav of all of Mairead's solo's. I just love how it starts slow, and then builds, and builds..and finally explodes, kind of how I felt that first half of the show...

Beyond The Sea: Oh my word...I just..am speechless on this one.

The Blessing: One of my favs, and still is even more. But I didn't even sing along as usual, I was just so entranced with Lisa's face, her eyes, and that smile. She just sang her heart out with that one. In fact, it was just Lisa and me..no audience...that is how personal it felt...

Scarborough Fair: Again, Hayley nailed this one, and having Orlagh accompany with her harp, made it even better, if that is possible.

Vivaldi's Rain: Chloe is so cute with this song, she is having a blast with it.

Over the Rainbow: This is the one that really, got to me. First, since Lisa took the place of Meav, made it more special for me. But I am a Tad biased (Hi Rich!). They were PURE PERFECTION. Not a single sound in the audience. And when they sang the part about Dreams do come true..again, breath Mel, don't lose it, because I felt, that my dream had just come true this night.

Mo Ghile Mear: I love this song, yea I know, redundant, but everytime I would hear it in the car, or at work on my IPod, I would just get this big ball of joy inside me. Well the Girls and the Chorus, and Ray and Nick, and the rest of the band, did not let me down. And one of those little moments I had mentioned: Lisa and Chloe holding hands as they move up to join Orlagh and Hayley..<sniff> just so precious...and then later, both turn to each other and do this cute head waggle...They did not disappoint me with this song, Pure Joy..bubbling up..and what a way to end the first half.

Intermission: I was so wound up, like a spring coiled so tight it is about to burst. That first half of the show, I was breathless, teary (though never completely crying), biting my lips to keep from giggling uncontrolably, shaking..that as soon as the lights came up, I headed for the ladies room. Partly cause..well..ya know, but also, cause I almost started laughing like a maniac..then..broke down just a little...as for my tissues I had, I didn't use them much, least to wipe tears, but they sure got a good wringing as I kept my hand on them and well..heehee..they had seen better days.

Act 2:

Dulaman: Yes, Meav does this one wonderful, saucy and sexy, but I also love Hayley's version. Her's was cute. Pure and simple. But I still loved it, and yes I sang right along.

Newgrange: Orlagh just makes this song so magical. And the starry background didn't hurt either  Wink.

The Soft Goodbye: Sigh..another defining Lisa moment...she just has that darn smile that melts your heart. Then Hayley and Chloe joined in...just another wonderful song.

The Last Rose of Summer: I really liked this version with Chloe in Hayley's place, with Hayley in Meav's place. When Chloe looks away..and then Hayley sings her part, she turns her head toward Chloe, with just this look of friendship, I can't really describe it..it was again, another little moment. Then when they walked off holding hands..<sniff>

Then Mairead joins with her fiddle and her solo of The Last Rose of Summer. Just wonderful.

Nella Fantasia: Chloe was just so cute with this one...and OMG..the lighting they had for her, the backlighting..made her look so mystical. Again, those expressive, beautiful eyes just get you right here..

At the Ceili: FUN..FUN...PURE FUN!. Lisa, Hayley and Orlagh just had way too much fun with this one...in fact..I missed most of Hayley's part because I was watching Lisa and Orlagh with David's replacement (Feargal? according to the program) LOL.

Shenandoah-The Contradiction: Whenever I hear Mairead's version of Shenandoah, I also hear in my head Hayley's version off her new CD. Only made this better, then Mairead really gets into the Contradiction and just is all over the place pointing that bow at Nick and Ray, at the audience, with all those different looks. She is just a PIP!

Carrickfergus: Again, I love Lisa's version off her CD best, but as with Siuil A Run, I can now listen to this one also, because I can see Orlagh in my mind now, LIVE and not on the ANJ DVD.

The Voice: This one...you all know I love with all my heart. But tonight's performance will always be very special. I knew it was up next, but still, when I heard the first notes of the music..that breathless, lump in my chest came back. Then after Lisa nailed the 'Set you Free' part, , Lisa's voice started to crack at this next part:

'I am the voice in the wind and the pouring rain
I am the voice of your hunger and pain
I am the voice that always is calling you
I am the voice, I will remain

not off key, but..choking back tears. I had my binoculars on this one, and her eyes were watering up, and she was really emotional with this song. Now maybe she just had a bad drink of water or something..but I don't think so, and don't burst my little bubble <G>. I looked into her eyes..no...she really LOVES this song. And that just made me break...but then she did her little knowing nod to Mairead, and she got back her composure..took her stand..and belted out the rest of THE VOICE...and I got chills when she did the Give Me Your Peace and My Wounds Will Be Healed part...just Awesome. And at the last line, as she sings I am the Voice...I whispered..Yes you are, Lisa..<tissue please>

Sing Out: Ok...we need to start making the audience understand that the Girls want us to SING OUT and clap along! sheesh..Wake up..what do they have to do...stand there and say...It's ok to clap and sing when we are practically in your laps! Anyways..They love this song, and yes Mairead sings right along as others have mentioned in their reviews.

You Raise Me Up: ...Just pure Angels singing here. Nothing else to say.

Finale: I loved Mairead's fiddling to all the different songs that had been played.

First Standing Ovation: The audience definitely were not up on CW lol..they started to leave, when the Girls started singing again with Mo Ghile Mear, then people sat back down. Again..LOVE THIS SONG. Perfect ending song.

Second Standing Ovation: Again, people thought it was over, and I just kept saying..IT'S NOT OVER YET..
Spanish Lady started up..and FINALLY..the audience GOT IT..they started clapping along...I think I was the only one in my viewing that did the shoulder flex lol..but I didn't care.

Once the Spanish Lady was over...I was the only one to stand up and start clapping..I think the audience by now was confused..Don't they know what an Encore is???..anyways I stood clapping and whooping for at least 30 secs when the rest finally figured it was finally over..cause I said..it's over now..lol.

Final reflects: all the way home, all I kept saying was..OMG...OMG..OMG..and laughing like a maniac..then taking a breath..and OMGing again..

This by far was the most wonderful, awesome, heartwarming, soul touching experience I have ever...EVER had in my LIFE. This Ladies are just pure magical, healing both emotionally and spiritually.

All I can say..is ..BRAVO...BRAVO..BRAVO...and Thank GOD for such Angels.

JEdwards
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 10:27AM »

Thanks for the fantastic review, Mel! I felt like I was sitting right there  next to you. Incredible how similar and yet different, too, the array of emotions this experience brings out in us. But we all seem to end up in the same place: Heaven! Awestruck and amazed by the beauty we'd just experienced. Thanks for sharing this --It brought back a zillion great memories.   Grin
blessed2bacwfan

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 10:38AM »

Words fail me. All I can say is thank you for this review. CS Lewis said "the glory of God is man (woman, child) fully alive".  This night, Mel, you were fully alive!  Thank you for sharing what that is like. 

Joelyn
fireyred09
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 01:55PM »

Mel,

That was a FANTASTIC review! I began tearing up and/or having that feeling of pure joy several times while reading. This has made my day! I am so looking forward to seeing the ladies in 19 days! Thank you so much!
JACL316

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 02:21PM »

WOW! that was a great review you did Mel!! Smiley  i haven't been to the Palace in years and thanks to your review i felt like i was there. Grin
Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 03:48PM »

thanks. I just had to get that all and do Lisa, Chloe, Mairead, Orlagh, and Hayley, and the rest of the cast justice. I am no where as good if I had tried to tell this in person...think fumble mouth lol.

When I was describing the opening of the show, that part I just started shaking all over again. I will never forget that part, as long as I hear The Sky, The Dawn and The Sun Grin

Kelsey

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 05:36PM »

I started shaking when I read your review.  I felt like I was there, and I am still in complete awe that I am going to be going to a CW concert soon.  Thank you so much for the great review.

Kelsey

Coleen
Global Moderator Emeritus

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 07:58PM »

I'm glad you had a great time, Mel.  Thank you for the detailed review.   Smiley

Thank you for the lovely banner, Mel.
Hannahlmatt
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 10:11PM »

Thanks so much for these reviews!!! Since I can't go to a CW concert this time around, these reviews are my lifeline!!

Thanks again,
Hannah

CWSpell

God Bless the gift of music!

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 09:23AM »

Wow.

Mel, I am a first time poster and YOUR thread is the one I chose to post on! (hehe)

You just absolutely renewed my excitement and fervor for the upcoming concert (I am in San Diego...and my wife and I are seeing the girls on the 7th!!). Not that I was worried that the show wouldn't be smashing, but...the enthusiasm and pure love in your post put my excitement meter over the top!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us! Perhaps I can do the same after the show in our town!

/cheers
Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 09:46AM »

Thanks, and please post your own review. I know it was long, but it's something I had to finally get out. I think all my emotional turmoil up to the show, just finally came forth, and thus a few hours of sleep, I had to get it all out in print.

I love reading what others have experienced. Helps me renew my enthusiam for the next show, and relive my first one Smiley

The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 01:43PM »

I would like to hear Hayley sing Meav's songs and Orlagh accompyning (i know i spelled that wrong) her on the harp and I remember doing the orinoco wave when I saw them in March '09. and there was only ONE empty seat.

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: