Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to see a séisiún around Dublin  (Read 4696 times)
Maggie
« on: July 09, 2007, 01:16PM »

I sent an e-mail to Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann, (literally: gathering of Irish Musicians) telling them that some of our Forum members are going to Dublin, and might want to see some good traditional music. This is the organization that promotes the development of Irish traditional music, worldwide. It also organized all dance and music competitions,( Fleadh Cheoil) and Kathleen Nesbitt is one of the judges.

This is the reply:
(By the way, in Ireland almost everyone now uses their names in Irish, hence she addresses me by my Irish name)
If anyone needs directions to the places mentioned, I will do my best to help!

Hi Máiréad,

Sorry for the delay, We've been busy organising the Leinster Provincial Fleadh so we didn't have time to reply.
Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann put on a show in Head Office, 32 Belgrave Square in Monkstown Co Dublin on Mon to Thurs nights at 9pm each evening. A number 7 bus will take you there from O'Connell St. The show includes music song and dance.
Not all branches run a session during the summer as they are hard to sustain, but there is one in the same venue on a Friday and Saturday night.
The Cobblestone pub in Smithfeild would also hold sessions every night. The Luas (our tram system) would take you there from Abbey St (just off O'Connell Street). Donoghues in Merrion Row is famous for its music. Indeed many famous people played there, including the Dubliners. Hughes in Chancery Street would be another good venue for music.
Hope this helps,

Regards,
Thelma Ní Mhuineachain
Cathaoirleach
Dublin County Board
Comhaltas

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 01:23PM by Maggie » Logged
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 05:18PM »

That's a pretty nice message you got there, but, I don't know where the séisiún around Dublin is. Undecided

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Maggie
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 06:18PM »

That's a pretty nice message you got there, but, I don't know where the séisiún around Dublin is. Undecided

Kimberly, are you and your parents planning to go to Ireland?
If you are are planning to go to Dublin, let me know and I will send you a map and more details.
If your Daddy would like to, he can contact me by e-mail and I will tell him about it.

There are many things to see in Dublin, but the countryside in other parts of Ireland is very pretty.
If you like animals, you could stay on a farm.

A séisiún is a gathering of musicians where they all bring their instruments and play  traditional Irish music together.
A céilí is when a lot of people dance together in a set pattern.

There are séisiúns and céilís in the USA also.
You can go to this website, click on your region of the USA and find a branch to call. They will tell you if they have a céilí or séisiún scheduled:

http://comhaltas.ie/locations/detail/north_america

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 06:20PM by Maggie » Logged
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 04:36AM »

Geez, thanks. That's a pretty link I will know now.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: