Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11/22/09 ~ Long Beach Concert Review  (Read 27001 times)
when_rain_falls
Bodhrán Player

5/7/10 ~ When You Believe!

« on: November 23, 2009, 06:46PM »

Celtic Woman: Isle of Hope ~ Long Beach Concert Review

11/22/09 ~ Long Beach Concert Review

Before you read this, I just want everyone to know that if I stop in the middle of this review to babble on about one facial expression, or perhaps how I really did tear up in a few songs; You have two choices: Skip the emotional babble or bear with me Wink

Part One:

As a first-time concert experience, let’s just say that I was pleasantly over-whelmed, but in a good way! Before we left the house, I made sure I had all my stuff with me: Fiddler Crossing Sign for Mairead support, my ANJ DVD with some permanent markers (hey, you never know! Wink ) and some money! My aunt had driven my sister and I to the venue, The Long Beach Terrace Theater, which was absolutely beautiful! I had never been in downtown Long Beach before, so those of you who have been there know of all the towering hotels, buildings and the beautiful scenery of that colorful majestic fountain parked right in front of the theater. The drive there was nerve-wracking, but my aunt was happy enough to listen to all my ranting about how much this meant to me. It really helped, since I was exploding on the inside! She definitely got a lesson in Celtic Woman; I told her about each and every girl, the forums and the wonderful people there. Gave a little back-story on my Fiddler Crossing Sign, and all the nicknames of the “little blond fiddler.” I explained how these girls are such positive role models, especially Chloe for me; that they’re not just some “girl band” that would go punk-rock in a heartbeat to get some more audience. God forbid! (remember, my aunt had no idea who these girls were at the time!) My aunt most definitely did not go to this concert unawares and uneducated Wink
   As we came up to the parking structure, my sister reached over from the back seat and tapped my shoulder, "Please don't scream at the concert. I'll be sitting next to you, and kinda wanna be able to hear everything!" I turned around in my seat and looked at her, "I can't make any promises, but I'll try really hard not to. Okay?"
   So, after we got all parked and ready, I was already getting comments on my Fiddler Crossing Sign in the elevator. Can you believe that?! Cheesy It was really packed in the tiny elevator, and one lady pointed at my sign and smiled, “Ah, so there’s a fiddler fan!” I looked at her and had this huge smile on my face, “Oh yeah! She‘s my favorite!” And there was a good-hearted chuckle from those who knew whom I was referring to. The elevator doors opened and my sister and I left my aunt in the dust! We were already at the entrance of the venue in a matter of seconds, and I was fumbling for my tickets in my purse. I could remember freaking out because I couldn’t find them, but they were in the inside hidden pocket. Biggest sigh of relief. Ever! I said earlier to my aunt in the car “I’d take a bullet for these tickets!” She replied, “I think you’d take a bullet for these girls!”
   My aunt finally caught up with us, and the lady at the door was checking our tickets. Through the large and transparent glass walls I could see a table set up with a whole bunch of Isle of Hope items: T-shirts, albums, program books, you name it! Wink The lady let us in; my face was the equivalent to that of a child in a candy store! The show didn’t start for another half an hour, so we were happy enough to purchase a whole bunch of stuff! I eagerly bought a souvenir program, a black IOH T-shirt, and after the concert, the ACC DVD ( Yeesssssssssss!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy )
   After we bought all the stuff, it was on to our seats! By now, I’m bouncing on the balls of my feet with excitement!! We made it to our seats - Orchestra Section, 16th Row, dead-smack in the middle! - All I’m going to say, is that come next tour, I’m grabbing one of the first three rows for myself! Wink
     Fifteen minutes left! My aunt opened her purse and was getting something out of this little small black pouch. I leaned over, since my sister Angelica was in between us, to get a closer look at what my aunt was getting out. She pulled out a little pair of binoculars and I had to keep myself from laughing. Wow, that’s old-fashioned! I thought, but soon learned that those binoculars were the key to really seeing the girls’ up-close. My aunt handed me the binoculars, “You can use these, to see them better if you want.” My eyes glanced back and forth from the stage (which, at the time, I had a real nice view of) and back to my aunt. I shook my head, “I’m good, I can see fine.” She shrugged and put them back in her purse, “If you say so.”
 Next, I looked at my phone for the umpteenth time: Ten minutes! At that moment, I wasn’t sure if I wanted time to move faster or slower. Faster, so I can actually experience everything finally! Or slower, so I could mentally prepare myself. So that I could repeat to myself that this wasn’t a dream - I really was there…
….I couldn’t and still can’t believe it. I was there. I don’t think the reality ever set in, to tell you guys the truth. I was in complete blurry dream-land, nothing and everything made sense and it went by all way too quickly. Even during the concert, the intermission, everything, I didn’t feel as if I were really there; that feeling of “Oh gosh, this is really them, this is really happening!” I didn’t have that moment wash over me. All you CW concert ‘veterans’, I have to ask you: Did you feel the same way with your first concert experience? Do you eventually experience that gut-wrenching “WOW!” moment?
    Anyways, with my remaining five minutes left (AKA the longest five minutes of my life!) I took the time to take a whole bunch of pictures of the stage, myself with all the souvenirs, my sister, and my aunt! Cheesy A man in the row in front of us was kind enough to take a picture for us  Smiley They all turned out surprisingly nice, with what the horrible quality my cell phone has with pictures.

Here are some of them!! Cheesy
Angelica with Fiddler Crossing Sign!

My aunt, Angelica, and myself Smiley Again, thanks to the guy who took the picture for us! Cheesy

A few views of the stage! Beautiful!

Isle of Hope Program! Cheesy

Myself with my Isle of Hope T-shirt and Fiddler Crossing Sign Cheesy

Angelica with Isle of Hope Program

After the pictures were taken, I spent the remainder of those final two minutes looking at how really crowded it was! I say this with complete literalism: There was not a single seat empty! It may not look like it in the pictures above, but trust me, within those final two minutes, people were piling in rather quickly!
  When David’s recording came on, I jumped in my seat. Although, I’ve never been to a concert before, I knew the drill: No pictures during the concert. I abruptly silenced my cell phone, took off my heavy jacket (it was COLD that night!) and slid my purse around the armrest. Program and Fiddler Crossing Sign planted firmly in hand, the lights dimmed and an achingly familiar silhouette appeared within the shadows of the spotlight…

Coming up later: Part Two: The Concert!  Cheesy

I met Chloë and Lynn on May 7th, 2010!!! Grin Grin Grin   

dMs827LK
Bodhrán Player

I've met LisaK, Lynn, & Mairead!!! :D:D:D

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 06:55PM »

Haha Rain that's awesome!!!! i can't wait for part two!!!!!!! you have me waiting in very high suspense!!!!

I met LISA K. AND LYNN AND MAIREAD!!! ....yeah!!!! Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin
CWLisaFan
Choir Member

Life is good. :)

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 06:56PM »

I haven't read your review yet because I'm packing, but I'll read it tonight!  Your sister looks adorable and reminds me of myself when I was her age!!!!!!!  
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 07:02PM by CWLisaFan » Logged

Feeling so lucky for having met Lisa, Lynn, Chloe, Mairead & Orlagh!!

Ready for Symphony and Believe!!!
Katharine
Bodhrán Player

Believe :-)

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 07:55PM »

Rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is fantastic already and you haven't even finished yet!!!  Oh my gosh, you had me so excited, so imagining everything--getting on the elevator and then making a run for it after getting off!  OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!  My heart was beating kinda fast!  Takes me back!!!!!  I love the pictures!!!!!!!!!!!   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I CANNOT WAIT TO HEAR THE REST!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Dayna, for my awesome banners!!
CWLisaFan
Choir Member

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 07:58PM »

I agree with Kath!  Totally took me back!  I was getting excited for you as I kept reading!!!  I LOVE reviews!!!!!!!!!!!!  They are so much fun!!!!!! 

when_rain_falls
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 08:02PM »

Well, I'm glad I got you girls pumped up! And I haven't even gotten to the really good part yet! lol! I'm working on part two right now! Cheesy SHould be either posted later tonight, or tomorrow morning/afternoon! Smiley

Katharine
Bodhrán Player

Believe :-)

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 08:04PM »

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Thank you, Dayna, for my awesome banners!!
dMs827LK
Bodhrán Player

I've met LisaK, Lynn, & Mairead!!! :D:D:D

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 08:04PM »

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

AGREEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I met LISA K. AND LYNN AND MAIREAD!!! ....yeah!!!! Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin
CWLisaFan
Choir Member

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 08:08PM »

I can't wait to read it!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hope I'm going to be feeling like I was sitting right there with you, which makes it so much fun reading these things!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

Why do they speak so selfishly?

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 08:52PM »

"Hello. My name is Chris. I am addicted to Celtic Woman."
"Hello. My name is Katharine. I am addicted to Celtic Woman."
"Hello. My Name is Kris. I am addicted to Celtic Woman."
(sorry, couldn't resist!)
WOW! Gosh, reading your review brings me right back to my first show at Red Rocks in July and the show a week ago (almost two weeks now!). Eagerly awaiting the second part. And though I'm not a CW 'veteran' yet (only two shows under my belt, I have a ways to go) I recall exactly what it was like to feel that gut wrench of "ohmygodohmygodohmygod" right when David does his spiel, and Mairead steps into place.

Loud voices raised in anger, speak harsh words, such cruel words.
CWLisaFan
Choir Member

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 08:53PM »

"Hello. My name is Chris. I am addicted to Celtic Woman."
"Hello. My name is Katharine. I am addicted to Celtic Woman."
"Hello. My Name is Kris. I am addicted to Celtic Woman."
(sorry, couldn't resist!)

I am not only addicted to Celtic Woman, I am PROUDLY addicted to Celtic Woman and not ashamed to admit it!!!!!!!!!   Grin Grin Grin

when_rain_falls
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 12:59AM »

WARNING: This is a long one!

1 / 2  of Part Two: The Concert

Again, before you read this: If this review becomes interrupted by a small paragraph dwelling on a single moment of the concert (and it will, because those are the only moments I can really remember with vivid imagery) you can simply skip to read the specifics Cheesy But, you won’t be reading much if you do that Wink And also: I love writing, and explaining little moments through words with heavy description. If I get a little carried away with the adjectives (but, I won’t tell you which ones Tongue ) please excuse me, as this is, in fact, my first concert review. Roll Eyes

On with the concert!

Program and Fiddler Crossing Sign planted firmly in hand, the lights dimmed and an achingly familiar silhouette appeared within the shadows of the spotlight…
…My breath caught in my throat, and my head snapped towards Angelica. I had this look on my face: It’s her…oh my gosh, it’s HER! Angelica looked back at me with the most innocent expression, albeit with as much as excitement as I had, as if to reply: I know! I can’t believe it, either! She grabbed my hand (I’m tearing up as I type this) and we simultaneously turned back to the stage to watch in awe as Máiréad, absolutely breathtaking in that spotlight, slowly walked down the stage. (talk about sister-bonding time!)
   Chloë’s almost-whispered voice greeted the audience with a lovely intro, one that I have heard about, but never actually heard. All I can remember is, “…I am the deer’s cry…” or something along the lines of that. I feel real ashamed for not remembering everything…
     In the next moment, my vision was completely trained on Máiréad and her beautiful fiddle. She slowly moved all her weight onto one leg and then the other and her torso moved with her violin; but you couldn’t see any details, not yet, as there was only a ‘back-light spotlight’ as Angelica calls it, enveloping the stage and Máiréad in a purple-ish glow.
    Everything was still dark, and a mystique feeling came over me. Each girl finally came up on the stage ( I don’t remember the order nor how each of them entered - all I know is that they were there ) Lisa, Alex, Chloë , and Lynn all took their separate cues of “ya da da da ya dadada da…” and Máiréad moved to the back of the stage, bow raised towards the sky.
   That’s when the tears came. I was brought back to this little moment, when I was watching The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun the other night on my portable DVD player before bed, and I was thinking to myself, “When I go to that concert, when they sing this song, I am not going to cry.”
   I did just that. It wasn’t sobbing or anything along the lines of being audible, but I had to blink tears away before someone saw anything and thought “Dork.” My vision was blurred for a half-a-second and I freaked. There’s this old trick: It’s impossible to cry if you look up at the ceiling. But, I was stubborn and refused to take my eyes off the girls. So, I just caved and let the tears roll down my cheeks. The only thought revolving in my head was back in that moment when I was in my bed watching the DVD version of SDS.       My chin was quivering horribly as the song continued and I remember my legs - my entire body - shaking with pure emotion. I hung onto every word, leaning forward in my seat and all, and tried to absorb as much as I could. Talk about an overwhelming experience!
   You know that frequently used saying you see in practically every review here? “It brought me to tears” and/or “I was shaking with excitement” To all of you who have underestimated the pure truth in those statements…Don’t. Those who have been to these concerts and reviewed, mean it with everything they have. Granted, it’s the cheesiest saying in the history of the world, and for me, was used with probably the cheesiest meaning ever: “Oh, the Celtic Woman concert brought me to tears. I was shaking with excitement.” It’s true. Never. Ever. In all the world did I think I would ever be saying such a thing, but here I am. Smiley
    I’m not sure how much I can stress what that single opening song, The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun, did to me emotionally. It was all just extremely powerful and will remain my favorite group song for a very, very, very long time.
   Back to reality! Cheesy
As I said earlier: most of what you are about to read will mainly consist of little moments that made my smile a bit bigger, made me clench my sister’s hand harder, and just flat out made my night the best single experience of my life! (hint: most, but not all of this will mainly consist of “Máiréad-moments” Tongue )
  Okay, you guys remember those little binoculars I was talking about earlier in Part One? Those little things played a fatally big part for me that night when it came to the really slow air emotional songs! Angelica and I were practically fighting over it during Shenandoah, When You Believe, Fields of Gold, The Voice, True Colors, You’ll Be In My Heart, Goodnight My Angel, Last Rose Fantasia…you get the idea! Wink
     Seeing them live is one thing (a really big thing at that Wink ) Seeing them up-close, albeit through binoculars, is a totally different thing. I could make out every single little detail of each girl, right down to the eye-color, and I couldn’t do it without the help from my aunt and her underestimated binoculars! Roll Eyes
    Angelica and I, after both being frustrated with having to tap each other on the arm to get each of our turns, finally came to this silent mutual agreement that we would give twenty-seconds each to look at the girls up-close with the binoculars. Those were the most precious twenty-seconds of my life! We stopped using the binoculars during the more upbeat songs, like Granuaile’s Dance ( I didn’t even try to use them during that song! Shocked I wonder how the spotlight guy keeps up with her! ), The Contradiction and At the Ceili.
Now, to review each girl…
   The Voice… WOW! When the song began, I seriously was not sure if they were doing a playback of the recording from Slane Castle or what, because Lisa’s voice was…THE Voice! Flawless! To my non-so-great-surprise, the song came to a part where I could definitely tell that Lisa’s voice was not dubbed over with the playback, because there was a change in a certain note about midway through the song, and my jaw just dropped at the crescendo! Again, everything was just flawless, and I’m still surprised at how beautiful Lisa sounds live! I’m proud to say that I loved this way better than the recordings! The Voice was definitely my “Lisa highlight” of the night! Cheesy
   If I could say one thing which has changed about Chloë, it’s that she has matured beyond what I could comprehend! The difference between Slane Castle, and her performance at the concert was COMPLETELY contrasting as to what I had expected! In a good, fuzzy, amazing way of course! Her voice is no longer that of a light and airy angel, but one that has again, say it with me now! Matured! It is still angelic in every sense, but different. A good different! And I thoroughly enjoyed every sung word that came out of her mouth!
   Another quick note about a Chloë song, before I forget: “When You Believe” touched me the most, out of all the songs in the concert (excluding SDS). The lyrics, although blurry in my mind at the moment, meant so much to me. It’s hard for me to explain, really! Main thing is: When I first saw Celtic Woman, when I first really got hooked on their music…a concert was the last thing on my list, whatever that list may be. As I joined the forums, and read up on all this talk of how amazing these concerts were, there was this little need to go to at least one. An experience for myself, just to see if it was really what everyone said it was. A small hope sparked inside of me, and it never stopped. A little flame, but it was still there. (Again, with the cheesiness of all this! Roll Eyes )
     When Chloë sang When You Believe, the memory of my grandad surprising me with the tickets for that fateful night flashed before my eyes. I began tearing up again.
~ Though hope is frail, but it’s hard to kill ~ Those lyrics,that moment of awesome recognition - Hope is what got me here - that tearful thought “I’m really here, this is really happening…” will be with me forever. This song means so much to me, and I just need to thank Chloë (if I ever have the highest honor to meet her!) for enhancing that moment with her beautiful vocals.  Smiley   

For Lynn, I’m not sure if I should review Carolina Rua or Dulaman for her highlight of the night…because I honestly cannot choose! So, I’m going to do both! Tongue First off: Next to Máiréad, Lynn was the flirty one (for both songs)! ^o^ I hate making comparisons between girls, past and present, so I won’t compare/contrast the difference between Meav’s version and Lynn’s version of Dulaman. Either way, they’re both equally hand-clapping, foot-tapping, shoulder-bumping upbeat songs! And these are the only two girls who can make a song, with the subject of seaweed, sound good! Tongue Carolina Rua was the same way! It’s a pleasant reminder, especially when sung live by Lynn, that this young woman is definitely accepted as a part of the group! Hands down, no questions asked!
   Alex! Wow, Alex is my new favorite! Not that any of the girls are above the other, since they all have their different qualities that make them special. So, there’s really no point in trying to choose a favorite (although, we each have our favorites, as there‘s usually one that will stick out the most when they can touch your heart in a special way Wink ) If that makes any sense to you! Wink
    Anyways, back to Alex! I’ve never heard True Colors before. Ever. If there was one song that I was going to savor for the concert (I’ve heard about it all over the forums, and God, was I tempted to listen to it!) it was this song. Again, this was similar to Chloë’s effect on me in “When You Believe” but for a different reason. I won’t go into anything personal, (it was a highly personal issue I thought about when listening to this song) but Alex really hit the nail hard with True Colors. Cheesy And I remember thinking to myself “Yeah, this is why I love these girls!”

…. 

Cheesy

…I’ve saved the best for last: Máiréad!!! It’d be impossible to count how many times Angelica and I turned to each other (whenever we could take our eyes off THE fiddle pixie) and then just quickly turn back! Cheesy Gosh, I have no idea where to start with this one!
      Coast of Galicia: It was everything…AND MORE! The one part of that song that I remember the most, was when there was this hair of a pause. Máiréad let out the cutest little “Yip!” I have ever heard! There was an audible laughter among the audience. I was beaming with giggles myself (was even tempted to “woo!” back at her! Wink ) It was just the happiest, fluffiest, cutest part of the show! And I will never forget it! Grin Granuaile‘s Dance, itself, was an amazing song! I got the same feeling I had with Dulaman; It’s just such an upbeat, toe-tapping, hand-clapping song! That guy in the video from Slane? The one who was dancing in his chair? Yeah, remember him? He’s my hero! Grin
     Speaking of clapping….I clapped for each and every song until my hands felt raw! If anyone who attended the concert suspect that I’m the girl who yelled out that high-pitched, squeaky “Yeah! Mái--réad!” Yup, that was me! Wink I apologize for any ear-damage I may have caused (especially Angelica, since she was the one who was right next to me!) but, hey, it was all in good fun…right? Grin
…Right?
Okay, you know what, just agree with me, because we all know that Máiréad put on an amazing performance! There’s no holding back yelling out her name after Coast of Galicia, Granuaile’s Dance or The Contradiction!!!! (all exceeding favorites of mine!)
   It was and still is impossible for me to choose my favorite Máiréad song: CoG or GD…*sigh* But, if the Songs from the Heart DVD include Máiréad’s whooping yips in any of her songs ( you can count on me to be praying for that! ) I think I’ll at least have a new favorite DVD!!! Wink Wink

Okay, I’ve decided to cut the second part of my review in half, since I feel this is getting a bit too long! The next part, however, will be up tomorrow and will include all my thoughts of the group songs and what happened during the intermission! Cheesy

End first half of part two.

Guardian of the Rose
Bodhrán Player

Let the dream come true SOMEDAY

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 01:27AM »

Awwww! Relax I would be weeping during the whole thing!  Cry

I know...my signature is just...awesome! Smiley
CWLisaFan
Choir Member

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 06:36AM »

Oh my gosh, Rain!!!!  You put me to tears!!!!  It really took me back and made me think of little things I had forgotten at my concert, like a piece of Mairead's bow breaking off!  And the amazing smiles I couldn't see anymore, now I can see them!!  This was so wonderful, and I loved imagining your night along with you.   I felt the same way throughout my concert as well!  I simply cannot wait for the last part of your review!!!!!!!   Cheesy Cheesy

Gambit

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 06:50AM »

Awesome review!  Can't wait to read the rest!!

Thanks for the buttons, Rich!

God bless our troops!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: