Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving!  (Read 8001 times)
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« on: November 26, 2009, 08:02AM »

Happy Thanksgiving to all our US members!

And to all our international members, whom I'm sure have no idea what we find so fascinating about stuffing ourselves with turkey and then passing out in front of the football game..... we give thanks that you're here with us on the forum!

Lindsey

(Yes, yes, I know that the bit about eating turkey doesn't apply to me, but it did at one point. Tongue)
Guardian of the Rose
Bodhrán Player

Let the dream come true SOMEDAY

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:32AM »

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU, TOO!!!

I know...my signature is just...awesome! Smiley
barbeaver

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 08:43AM »

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL THE FORUM MEMBERS. I HOPE YOU WILL HAVE A BLESSED DAY WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS. I AM THANKFUL FOR ALL OF YOU AND FOR OUR DEAR CELTIC WOMAN GIRLS!

BARB

EMERALD GEMS
Gambit

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 09:20AM »

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for the buttons, Rich!

God bless our troops!
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 09:54AM »

Happy Thanksgiving, people! Grin

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Colleen
Total Fanatic

Semper Fi

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 10:20AM »

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

Thanks Mel!
Scott

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 10:46AM »

From Scott, Cindy, and Jeremy... Happy Thanksgiving to all! Smiley

maverick00725
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 10:47AM »

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends on the forum. Hope you all have a wonderful day. Remember to always be thankful for what you have, for there are so many who have nothing.
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 11:36AM »

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!!

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 11:39AM »

Gobble gobble. Got my lights up (only day I can do it in daylight. Watching parade then off to sons for dinner.

Happy T day

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
when_rain_falls
Bodhrán Player

5/7/10 ~ When You Believe!

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 11:44AM »

Happy Thanksgiving to all our US members!

And to all our international members, whom I'm sure have no idea what we find so fascinating about stuffing ourselves with turkey and then passing out in front of the football game..... we give thanks that you're here with us on the forum!

Lindsey

(Yes, yes, I know that the bit about eating turkey doesn't apply to me, but it did at one point. Tongue)

LOL!! I have to agree with aislin!! (That. Was. Hilarious!)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU HAVE, ESPECIALLY IN TIMES LIKE THESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kiss Kiss

I met Chloë and Lynn on May 7th, 2010!!! Grin Grin Grin   

lovelycherylwinner
Total Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 11:56AM »

Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone at the Forum. Enjoy Your day and Stay safe.

Steven M.

The treasure of true freindship will never lose its glow.
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 12:04PM »

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!!! Smiley
Rosie Allen
Total Fanatic

"You tell 'em Lise!"

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 02:06PM »

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!  Cheesy

Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 03:10PM »

Tryptophan, Testosterone, Tradition

First, Turkey contains tryptophan, a compound found in amino acids that effect the human brain. It makes us humans sleepy and happy.  Smiley

Second, football can be viewed as men physically overcoming other men to either defend or take territory. Gets right into the basic brain programming / instincts. Women also have territorial instincts, but it might be stronger in us guys. (unless shopping is involved)  Cheesy

Third, I refer to a book entitled "the american spititual culture - and the invention of jazz, football, and the movies" by William Dean. a very good, interesting book, but i cant find all my notes, so looks like i must summerize this without going into a long philosophical rant   Cheesy  (something you will be thankful for today  Cheesy )

He mentions the football connection to instincts. But he also notes a difference between America and other countries. In America our ancestors (except for native Americans) came here in large part because things were bad at home. They wanted a better life.  Think about the song Isle of Hope (good CW connection here in the discussion!) , young lady is hungry, has a bad life, comes to the new and strange land in hope of a better life.

But being displaced, early Americans did not have traditions of their own that were "American". So some created tradition. And over time, others jumped on some of these traditions because they were pretty good. Yes they had traditions from their homelands, but each individual ethnic group had theirs, it wasn't common among the various groups that had to live and work near each other. Early Americans had no "American " culture at that point. But in Europe, people there had traditions going WAY back. Lots of history and culture. But that may be why we Americans differ from others on this.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: