Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non C'e Piu  (Read 31189 times)
binti

« on: January 10, 2010, 09:50AM »

I don't see a thread about this song, so I'm starting one.

This has become my favorite song performed by these four fantastic vocalists.  Each soloist, the combined voices, and the music, the fiddle and drums, the orchestra, all combine to make this pure perfection.  I could (and do) listen to it over and over.  I'm not sure why, but it simply touches me at some emotional level that brings both peace and longing.  It seems to lift me up but also starts me searching for something deep inside.  Listening to it is wonderful, but watching the DVD, seeing the emotion with which each lady sings it, is just something unique... can't find the right word to describe it...

Does anyone have a complete translation?

Binti

Thanks to m.k.c. for this lovely banner
cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:32AM »

Isn't this "Going Home"Huh?  I really like the song and, like Lucie, it's a calming song.   It's on Sissel's DVD but mostly in English and the words are different. But it is sure a wonderful song!! 

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
TheWhite~Rose
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:39AM »

I agree, this song is my favorite classical piece they've done so far.  The blend, and the tonal quality, and as you say, the emotion is all just superb.  It is definately one of their most beautiful songs.
mkjlovescw

Nashville 9-01-10

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 07:02PM »

I absolutely love this song......it is quickly becming one of my all time favorites!!
But one quick question, for someone who knows Italian better than I (which doesnt take much!):
Why is it sometimes they sing the phrase "non c'e piu" and pronounce it "non che pu" and at other times pronounce "non sa pu"?  Do the two different pronunciations have different meanings??
 Huh Huh

Take care and God Bless,
Melissa

With Gratitude to Celtic~Fan~73
MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 10:58AM »

I just love this song. Lynn starts it off beautifully, and the harmony on the last few notes just blows me away. I usually end up with tears in my eyes before the it ends. And the back and forth between English and Italian was done perfectly, I think.

Why is it sometimes they sing the phrase "non c'e piu" and pronounce it "non che pu" and at other times pronounce "non sa pu"?  Do the two different pronunciations have different meanings??
 Huh Huh
They're 2 different words. Sometimes it's "c'e" sometimes it's "sei". But unfortunately I don't know the definition to either of them  Cheesy
Bluefire
Total Fanatic

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 11:17AM »

This is among my favorites as well.  Definitely my favorite for all of the vocalists together.

I don't speak Italian (so take this with a grain of salt), but playing with translators online and going on the feel of the song, here's what I came up with for those two phrases:

non ce piu = no more ; singing about how when it reaches the sea, "the river is no more"
non sei piu = no longer ; used when the singer is directly addressing the river, saying "until you are no longer you"

Similar meanings but with subtle differences

And if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free!
The Leprechaun
Total Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 11:28AM »

This is among my favorites as well.  Definitely my favorite for all of the vocalists together.

I don't speak Italian (so take this with a grain of salt), but playing with translators online and going on the feel of the song, here's what I came up with for those two phrases:

non ce piu = no more ; singing about how when it reaches the sea, "the <strong>river</strong> is no more"
non sei piu = no longer ; used when the singer is directly addressing the <strong>river</strong>, saying "until you are no longer you"

Similar meanings but with subtle differences

So it has something to do with a river?

Celtic Woman: Gotta love them.

Proud sufferer of OCCWD.

The wonderful Susan.

Thanks whoever for the picture.
Bluefire
Total Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 01:32PM »

That's the impression I get.  If you listen the brief bits of English, that seems to fit.  Lisa's first lines, and the group's first English (watching the Youtube vid):

Wave of blue, long ago
Nothing but a stream
Rushing through the mountain dew
To the sea's cold gleam

Nothing but a stream
Towards the ocean dream
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:34PM by Bluefire » Logged

Palmie00

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 02:36PM »

Onda blu, dove vai
Non lo chiedero
Cio che tu perderai
Non lo cerchero
Cerchi di sfociare
Corri sempre giu
Quando trov il mare
Fiume non c'è più  (it is no more/longer)
Wave of blue, long ago
Nothing but a stream
Rushing through mountain dew
To the sea's cold gleam
Nothing but a stream
Towards? the ocean dream
Nata dal cielo
Day by day, deeper now

Al? di là per quel
Songo sempre più
Al di là delle colline
Scorri oltre il confine
Fiume non c'è più
Rolling wave, calling now
Voices clear and pure
Find the way home somehow
Find the way for sure
Quando vuoi sboccare
Scorri sempre giu
Finché trov il mare
Finché non sei più  (you are no more/longer)

Wave of green, wave of blue
Flowing home
Non sei più

Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 02:49PM »

Isn't this "Going Home"Huh?  I really like the song and, like Lucie, it's a calming song.   It's on Sissel's DVD but mostly in English and the words are different. But it is sure a wonderful song!! 

Yes, it's the tune of Chloë's "Going Home", although it is not the Italian translation of the words Chloë sings as you can tell by the parts in English. It's a completely different song, though similar in some ways,  just with the same tune.

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 03:00PM »

actually I forgot which word I looked up but actually, yes it has something to do w/ a river and the flow of it! Thats all I translated though!

That's the impression I get.  If you listen the brief bits of English, that seems to fit.  Lisa's first lines, and the group's first English (watching the Youtube vid):

Wave of blue, long ago
Nothing but a stream
Rushing through the mountain dew
To the sea's cold gleam

Nothing but a stream
Towards the ocean dream

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
carl

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 05:19PM »

I love this song ...

now that I see the lyrics I want to puzzle out the translation ... my Italian is very rusty !!!
mkjlovescw

Nashville 9-01-10

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 09:10PM »

Wow,  Thanks for writing out all the lyrics, Palmie.
And thanks everybody for help with the translation.

Take care and God Bless,
Melissa

With Gratitude to Celtic~Fan~73
binti

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 09:23PM »

Still no full translation?Huh  I have a friend who said he would work on it, but so far he hasn't gotten back with me.

Thanks to m.k.c. for this lovely banner
Bluefire
Total Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 10:23PM »

Please note: This is merely a conversation that transpired this evening which I share here as an example of differing views.  Please do not flame my friend because of his unique view.  Thank you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a rather... intense conversation with the fiance of one of my friends while at our Wednesday night dinner.  Before the rest of the group showed up, I put in the SftH DVD.  I did this knowing quite well that he' might go off on parts of it (he's a music student studying to be an opera singer, and VERY particular when it comes to traditional and classical works).  Sure enough...

Now, it's not to say that he dislikes the girls' singing or playing.  Frankly, I don't think he got past his hangups enough to form an opinion of our lovely performers.  Most of the hang ups were either with the arrangement or the fact that the DVD is a processed product (to my knowledge, he owns no DVDs of musical productions, probably for this reason).  It's true that any DVD or CD has some amount of mastering done.  Since I was not at the live performances, I could not venture to guess how much or make any kind of comparison. Since this singer works entirely on stage presentation, that strongly shapes his opinion of music.  Also, he's never seen the girls live, whereas I have.  So yeah, there were sharp tones from both of us for a bit, but once we reined in our tempers, we talked more.  

Anyway, the issue he took with "Non C'é Piú" was the fact that no credit was given back to the source material.  I quirked a brow at this and asked what he meant.   At least for him, it's an incredibly well-known classical piece - Dvorak's 9th Symphony, second movement (the largo).  More people would recognize it as the hymn "Going Home" by Harry Burleigh and William Arms Fisher, though that's actually an adaptation of Dvorak's work.  Apparently this was played during Franklin Roosevelt's funeral.

YouTube Video of an Orchestra performing Dvorak's Symphony #9 - Second Movement.  The first 5 minutes you should recognize.

I can honestly say I did not know any of that when I first heard the piece performed by Celtic Woman, and I have no qualms with their presentation.   For him, it was set in his mind that Dvorak's arrangement was "the way it must be", so naturally, he had difficulties with anything different.  We decided to leave the conversation there.  Probably for the better.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 04:17PM by Bluefire » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: