Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ANJ tour versus ANJ DVD  (Read 4520 times)
The Leprechaun
Total Fanatic

« on: January 11, 2010, 11:41AM »

Okay, I'm not asking people to decide which is better, I'm asking what the tour was like for ANJ and how it might have differed from the DVD. I never saw them on tour for ANJ, so I don't know what happened. Can someone explain to me the similarities and differences?

Celtic Woman: Gotta love them.

Proud sufferer of OCCWD.

The wonderful Susan.

Thanks whoever for the picture.
RetPgmr
Total Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:16PM »

The 2 times I saw it in Seattle -

• no full orchestra
  • small choir - 4 ladies & 4 men
  • Hayley, no Meav
  • held in an event center - terrible view of stage, lousy acoustics

• no full orchestra
  • Lynn & Alex (Lisa on maternity leave)
  • held in a theatre - great view of stage, much better sound system

Still was a great show. Live is always better than recorded in my opinion

Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:44PM »

In 2007 was my first concert, at a peforming arts theatre, but I had a BAD seat. In 2008, it was at an events arena, but I was front row center!  Smiley   

I think you are getting at differences in what you see on DVD vs live. Like RetPgmr points out, you dont see the full orchestra and there are fewer choir members. I thought it was 3 women and 3 men in 2008, but could be wrong. But I think the more impressive differences are....

1. Mairead. She is a lot quicker in a live performance than you would think. Her jumps are also higher than they seem on a dvd. Plus, when I was front row center, I could hear when she leaps and lands. That was kind of strange yet very cool. You would never hear that on a dvd. Although she is small, she is built solid. Not masculine, but definately has some muscle on her. I would call her "fit", not "skinny" or "thin".

2. Eye contact. When you are close you get it. Now at times I wondered "Is she looking at me?" Perhaps, perhaps not. I thought I caught Alex's eye a few times, then read on a later thread somewhere that she often just looks to the back of the theatre, so it may have just seemed she was looking at me because she was right in front. Orla certainly looked my way, but also she could have been looking at the person behind me, or beside me, it can be hard to tell. But Orla certainly makes a lot of eye contact. Lisa scans the crowd and sometimes smiles at or acknowledges people. So does Mairead. Lynn seems a bit different with eye contact. In 2008 it seemed she did it, but at sort of angles. Not looking right at the person directly in front of her, but maybe 3-4 seats left or right.

3. Feedback. I guess you would call it. The guy next to me yelled "RAYYYY!!!!!!" when he came out for Dulaman. Ray seemed to be amused by it, got a big smile. They do seem to enjoy seeing the crowd enjoying themselves.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
The Leprechaun
Total Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 04:21PM »

Okay, maybe I should have been more specific. The things you told me were great, but what I'm wondering is what changed with the songs they did. Was Vivaldi's Rain included on tour? What did they do after At the Ceili if Lascia Ch'io Pianga wasn't included? I have seen Isle of Hope live (which is the only way anyone would have seen Isle of Hope). If I had better seats or had tickets to a Meet and Greet afterwards (which I didn't even know existed yet) I would have liked it better. But, I prefer seeing them on DVD because you can see them up close and personal all the time, and other things too, but I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy seeing them live. I mean, the girls from Celtic Woman being that close to me? Even if I'm in the seat furtherest from the stage, just being in the same room as them is wonderful. I will go again if I know a tour is coming that hasn't been featured on DVD, just in case they don't ever put it on DVD. But enough rambling. Does anyone remember what songs were in the ANJ tour?

Celtic Woman: Gotta love them.

Proud sufferer of OCCWD.

The wonderful Susan.

Thanks whoever for the picture.
Natalia
Bodhrán Player

May 12 was a wonderful day!

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 05:23PM »

The 2 times I saw it in Seattle -

• no full orchestra
  • Hayley, no Meav
  • held in an event center - terrible view of stage, lousy acoustics

• no full orchestra
  • Lynn & Alex (Lisa on maternity leave)
  • held in a theatre - great view of stage, much better sound system

Still was a great show. Live is always better than recorded in my opinion

Yes, the WaMu center has terrible acoustics. The Paramount is the perfect venue for them!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: