Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 things you need to know...  (Read 11472 times)
Maggie
« on: January 11, 2010, 02:09PM »

....before you go to Ireland.

This is from an article on
http://www.irishcentral.com/travel/10-things-you-need-to-know-before-you-go-to-Ireland-66477427.html?page=2

I'll add my own comments at the end.

"1. Hailing a cab (taxi) with your hand or a whistle is not acceptable.
It will be considered rude and you will have no chance of getting a spin to your destination. Ask the locals for a taxi company suggestion and call ahead.

2. When someone says “Do you want a bit of craic tonight,” they don’t mean they can hook you up with some drugs and get you high. They mean they can find you somewhere to go to have some real Irish fun (no drugs involved).

3. Irish people don’t appreciate non-natives trying to take off their Irish accent. You may come off sounding like fools.
  Leprechauns and the pretense irritates natives.

4. On the subject of Leprechauns, they really don’t exist! No really, they don’t. Please don’t arrive in Ireland expecting to follow the rainbow (of which there are plenty) to find your pot of gold (of which there are none – you may have had a chance before but now with the recession your pot our of luck). You will be bitterly disappointed!

5. Drinking Guinness is a nice tradition but make sure your stomach is up for the challenge. It’s not very nice to go to the local country pub and spend an hour occupying the one and only toilet because you have a dose of the scutters (as we say back home).

6. You only need to flush the toilet once. Unlike the U.S. the toilets in Ireland are ultra modern and just need a tiny push of the handle to carry all your waste away.

7. Telling locals you are Irish irritates the s**t out of them. Try a different approach if you want more of a welcome.
Tell them your ancestors came from....Limerick, Kildare, Dublin, or just somewhere in Ireland.
Then they will be more willing to help you trace your roots or offer you a cup of tea.

8. Speaking of tea, tea is the coffee of Ireland. If you enter someone’s house it’s very offensive to turn down a cup of good Irish tea. Say yes and if you are offered a sandwich then gladly accept or you won’t be asked back again.

9. Do not be shocked or offended at the use of colorful language. Irish people are great storytellers and often use foul words to be descriptive. Hint: if they are smiling while using profanities it’s all in good jest. If their eyebrows are frowned and their lips curled, it may be a good time to get out of there.

10. Irish people have their own concept of time. They don’t adhere to schedules too well and are never on time.
Advise: if it’s in your schedule to meet someone for lunch at 1:00 p.m. suggest meeting at 12:30 p.m. and you should be okay."

Maggie's comments:
1. In Dublin, they are used to Americans and other cultures.
It wouldn't really be considered rude, but you probably won't get a cab unless you go to a "Taxi rank".
In small towns, you will have to call a cab, don't expect to see them cruising.
The taxi driver may also be the local funeral director, bus driver, or newsagent, etc.

2. They probably would not phrase it that way, but yes craic (pronounced crack) means fun and merriment,
usually accompanied by music.

3. Aah yes.....There is NOTHING more annoying to an Irish person.
That and being asked to speak Irish like a performing seal.

4. No comment  Roll Eyes

5. Yes, Guinness is an acquired taste, don't expect to like it immediately. And don't try to keep up with the natives.

6. Depends.....some houses are still a bit behind the times.

7. GGRRRR! This is my pet peeve.....
Just ask Kathleen, Melissa, Elizabeth or Joe who were all in Atlanta to witness my encounter with the guy who was listening in to our conversation, then walked up to me and declared "Hey! I'm as Irish as you are!"
Within 30 seconds he was left under no such illusions......

8. No, it's not "very offensive".....they are offering you tea, it is up to you whether you want it or not.
It is OK to politely decline.
Whether you would be invited back again depends on your manners, not on whether you accept refreshment or not.
They know Americans usually prefer coffee, and some Irish people drink coffee too.
A certain lady we know is quite fond of Starbucks.....so they have opened 13 branches in Dublin, especially for her! Cheesy

9. Yes....unfortunately this is true. Words you would consider profanities in the USA are over-used in Ireland.
Taking the Lord's name in vain is considered much more serious.

10. Absolutely true......I am guilty as charged.
A friend of our always tells me to be there at 1pm when the event is really at 2pm.
But I know that now, so I'm usually late anyhow!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:02PM by Maggie » Logged
lisalover7 (LL7)
Bodhrán Player

"I begged and I begged and I begged and I begged"

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 02:17PM »

Notes taken and much appreciated Maggie Cheesy may I be so fortunate as to make it to that beautiful Isle

Let Me Tell You That I Love You...
meganelize

Taken at the gaol in dublin in July 2008

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:31PM »

Haha that is funny- number 10- Very very true!
I have a 9 am class.... that means students should be there by 9:10 and the lecturer sometime there after!

Ideas don't stay in some minds very long because they don't like solitary confinement.
Maggie
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 02:48PM »

I must just add to that comment #1.

If you are in a country town, and you try to hail a taxi by whistling,
you might find yourself surrounded by confused border collies!

lifeismusic2009
Total Fanatic

<3

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 02:57PM »

Number 7 made me laugh out loud Maggie!! Yes, that man was quickly corrected and I think you were perfectly right to do so!! The look on his face was priceless!

~Elizabeth

Thanks, Dayna, for my awesome banners!
Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 03:01PM »

Thanks for the notes, Maggie.  Smiley

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
Gail

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 06:41PM »

"may be surrounded by confused border collies" .........    LOLOLOLOLOL ! ! ! ! !

I don't drink either coffee OR tea - I usually just say "No, thank you. I never acquired a taste for coffee or tea. Coffee smells good enough to make me hungry, but I still never cared much for it."

Hopefully, that wouldn't put them off against me - can't help it if I've never liked either drink. My mom's the same way - never liked either; my dad was the coffee/tea drinker in our small family (I'm an only child).
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 07:44PM »

On the subject of Leprechauns, they really don’t exist! No really, they don’t

I don't believe that for a moment. There is a certain red headed one on this forum.

Grin

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 08:37PM »

I don't believe that for a moment. There is a certain red headed one on this forum.

Don't tell me you really believe in that stuff?
Come on....as if a mythical, imaginary, mischievous creature would hang out on this Forum! Roll Eyes

You'll be telling me next a little dog in a green hat is capable of leading the St Patrick's Parade!!!
Grin Grin Grin

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 10:22PM »

Do not be shocked or offended at the use of colorful language. Irish people are great storytellers and often use foul words to be descriptive

In both "Michael Collins" and "Wind that shakes the Barley" they over used the F word so much that I though I was back in the Nam wher we over used it a lot.

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 02:22AM »

In both "Michael Collins" and "Wind that shakes the Barley" they over used the F word so much that I though I was back in the Nam wher we over used it a lot.

That word is said to be of ancient Anglo-Saxon origin.
It is used so often in Ireland it has almost become part of the vernacular.
In their defence, it is not usually used to shock or offend, but that's no excuse.
I find it vulgar and unnecessary, and it demonstrates a lack of vocabulary.
It's also sad when the Irish resort to bad language, as they have long been regarded as masters of the spoken and written word, Ireland the "Land of Poets and Scholars".
That reputation became tarnished somewhere between W B Yeats and Colin Farrell....... Sad

kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 08:03PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin

CurlyandGreen

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 05:39PM »

6. You only need to flush the toilet once. Unlike the U.S. the toilets in Ireland are ultra modern and just need a tiny push of the handle to carry all your waste away.

6. Depends.....some houses are still a bit behind the times.

I think the secret is (depending on where you are-new build/plumbing or somewhere "behind the times") is holding said handle down long enough!  Nothing excessive, just enough to...get things moving!

"You must do the things you think you cannot do."
         -Eleanor Roosevelt

We Hail Thee, Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: