Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Five Months in Ireland  (Read 67720 times)
CurlyandGreen

« on: January 22, 2010, 01:12PM »

A few pictures I took this afternoon (I'm getting close to starting my blog-I think I'm quickly adjusting to the attitude of "it'll be done eventually" that I've discovered.

This is the River Shannon, the longest river in Ireland (386 km 0r 240 m), from the Living Bridge, which is a pedestrian footbridge that connects the two halves of the UL campus.  Limerick city sits at an estuary point where the river meets with sea water.

I was there as the sun was going down, and it was beautiful.  The sound of the water flowing was so calming.  I normally walk VERY quickly, but I was taking much slower steps without even thinking about it!  The Congaree River runs right through Columbia, but you can never hear the water for all the traffic!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 09:31PM by jillebeans » Logged

"You must do the things you think you cannot do."
         -Eleanor Roosevelt

We Hail Thee, Carolina
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:40PM »

Pretty location as Ireland has a lot of it. I walk quickly too and have to slow down and enjoy and the history and so much there Smiley
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 09:31PM by jillebeans » Logged
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 09:32PM »

I look forward to reading this thread and thought it needed it's own thread. Thanks for the beautiful pictures. Smiley Smiley
Maggie
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 04:18AM »

...........I was there as the sun was going down, and it was beautiful.  The sound of the water flowing was so calming.  I normally walk VERY quickly, but I was taking much slower steps without even thinking about it!  The Congaree River runs right through Columbia, but you can never hear the water for all the traffic!

You will be there as Spring unfolds.....the leaves, the blossoms, the wild flowers.
When you get the chance, follow the Shannon North.......there are some beautiful stretches...(especially when it reaches Tipperary)....
and lovely peaceful little harbours like Garrykennedy, or any of these on this page:
http://derg.iwai.ie/harbours.htm#garry
If you go to Garrykennedy, be sure to visit Larkin's Pub......you can have a cup of tea or a soda.
If you possibly can, go to Ballyferriter on the Dingle Peninsula February 17 through 21 for this traditional festival,
it will be part of your education!
http://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/calendar.html
Here's the brochure to download:
http://www.scoilcheoil.com/pdf2010.pdf

I hope you make friends from Tipperary.....if you do, let me know.....there is somewhere I want them to take you.

Larkins Pub, Garrykennedy....traditional session every Wednesday night:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:29AM by Maggie » Logged
CurlyandGreen

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 05:18AM »

Coincidence, Maggie: one of my house,ates, Aoife, is from Tipperary!

-Eleanor Roosevelt

We Hail Thee, Carolina
Maggie
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:52AM »

Coincidence, Maggie: one of my housemates, Aoife, is from Tipperary!

Great! You're in good company! Cheesy
Ask her where in Tipp she is from.
Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 11:30AM »

Oh man, I'm really looking forward to this thread, however it makes it so hard to wait to find out what the end result of my own plans is going to be, but that's all I can do right now, wait. *sigh*  Roll Eyes  Before I start more research, I need to find something out about the scholarship I've applied for and that's what I'm waiting for.

Beautiful pictures C&G!!

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
CurlyandGreen

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 12:08PM »

Oh man, I'm really looking forward to this thread, however it makes it so hard to wait to find out what the end result of my own plans is going to be, but that's all I can do right now, wait. *sigh*  Roll Eyes  Before I start more research, I need to find something out about the scholarship I've applied for and that's what I'm waiting for.

Beautiful pictures C&G!!

It can all seem very hectic and overwhelming at times, but the stress of waiting and getting everything done will eventually done and hopefully well rewarded!

I'm making small adjustments into living here.  Today I remembered to look right before crossing the street!

-Eleanor Roosevelt

We Hail Thee, Carolina
meganelize

Taken at the gaol in dublin in July 2008

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 06:01PM »

Glad you didn't get hit... today at least! (5 months later and I still look the wrong way at times  Grin)

Ideas don't stay in some minds very long because they don't like solitary confinement.
Maggie
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 10:38PM »

I'm making small adjustments into living here. 
 Today I remembered to look right before crossing the street!
Glad you didn't get hit... today at least! (5 months later and I still look the wrong way at times  Grin)

You need to look BOTH ways!
Beware crazy American tourists who don't know what side of the road they are driving on!!!
 Shocked

yellow rose

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 10:41PM »

i look forward to hearing/ seeing more about how you are doing (adjusting) and about where you are Smiley makes me wonder about doing  study abroad hummmm? Please send picture when ever you get the time since you are (there for studies  Wink wink, wink, wink.
hope you have a blast.
best wishes
YR

Maggie
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 01:54AM »

i look forward to hearing/ seeing more about how you are doing (adjusting) and about where you are Smiley makes me wonder about doing  study abroad hummmm? Please send picture when ever you get the time since you are (there for studies  Wink

We now have two members of the Forum who are studying in Ireland, so it is possible.

However, it takes more than just the desire to study and spend some time in Ireland.

You can make it if you have:
A working brain to get through the studies.
It won't be easy, but it will be interesting. It will also look good on your resumé.

Lots of determination and strength of character.
You will be a foreigner in a strange land, and you will get homesick.

Money.
You have to be able to support yourself in an expensive country, where 1 US Dollar will cost you 1.40 Euro at today's rate.
Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 07:23PM »

We now have two members of the Forum who are studying in Ireland, so it is possible.

Maybe a third if everything comes together for me.   Smiley

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
Jack

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 10:25PM »

Hi, C&G,

I know you're probably asleep, but (O/T) our Gamecocks just beat #1 Kentucky, 68-62.  Go 'Cocks!!!!

Hope you're having fun.

Jack
CurlyandGreen

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 11:24AM »

^^My roommate sent me video that she had taken as well as some official footage.  I teared up...not kidding.

And, as promised, my blog is up!

http://gamecockatul.blogspot.com/

-Eleanor Roosevelt

We Hail Thee, Carolina
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: