Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beara Peninsula  (Read 12807 times)
Maggie
« on: April 14, 2010, 02:27AM »

Everybody has heard of the Ring of Kerry, and the Dingle Peninsula.....they are famous for the beauty of the scenery,
dramatic shoreline, beautiful beaches and friendly pubs.

However, if I was asked to recommend a beautiful drive with spectacular scenery I would say....head South West,
go to the Beara Peninsula and drive the Healy Pass. Starting in Kenmare, take the R571 West, then the R573 which hugs the coastline, until you meet the R571 again.
Then take the R574 which becomes the Healy Pass, a series of hairpin bends, with a dramatic Calvary statue on a hillside.
 (Yes, you may need a prayer!)
You might have the road to yourself, so make sure you have enough gas.
It is more remote than the Ring of Kerry, the "road less travelled" and it's a very pretty drive especially in Spring,
when the wild flowers are blooming,
or in Fall when the heather and furze transform the landscape into a sea of purple and yellow.
When you reach the R572 you have a choice.....turn left to Glengariff which is another beautiful area, or my choice would be turn right and carry on around the coast of the peninsula.
Try to time it so you see the sunset from that dramatic West coast.
Then find a pub, good food, Guinness and a bed for the night.
It's possible to find all of those in one place:
http://www.bearatourism.com/about.html

A scene on the Beara Peninsula:

From the Healy Pass:

The Healy Pass snakes through the mountains:                              

A spiritual moment:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 02:37AM by Maggie » Logged
Jack

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 05:26AM »

Very nice post, Maggie.  Keep it up and I may force Ginger to retire early. Cheesy  Her way-back ancestors are from County Kerry (not sure where) and it is one of the areas we definitely want to visit.  Beautiful photos.

Do you think you could get the country to drive in the right lane?  I'd hate to spoil a vacation the first time we take to the roads. Cheesy

Jack
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:43AM »

Beautiful. If I didn't know better, I would think that Maggie is ready to launch a new Tour Ireland show with host Maggie Ryan.

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Jack

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 09:03AM »

Beautiful. If I didn't know better, I would think that Maggie is ready to launch a new Tour Ireland show with host Maggie Ryan.

Works for me!

Jack
Maggie
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 12:09AM »

Do you think you could get the country to drive in the right lane?
 Cheesy

Absolutely not, Jack! Cheesy

Anyway, on many Irish roads it doesn't matter.....they are barely wide enough for 2 cars, the tricky bit is when you see a tractor coming towards you. The farmer is not going to give way, he has work to do.
If you encounter a herd of sheep or cattle, just stop or pull off to the side, don't toot the horn.
We are actually doing you a favour keeping the roads narrow.
The purpose of narrow roads, and why farmers drive their livestock along the road, is to force you Americans to s-l-o-w d-o-w-n,
pull off the road, and contemplate the beauty of nature.

Does Ginger know the names of any of her ancestors?

This is without a doubt the most spectacular part of Ireland.
Forget the Cliffs of Moher and Blarney Castle. If you just take the time to roam these mountains and coastline,
take a fishing boat out to the islands, you may never want to leave.....

(This map was taken from an ad for one of the many B&B's...it shows the peninsulae very well,
although they put a 'n' in Skellig!)

Dramatic glacial formations on Skellig Michael. The steps were built by
monks who inhabited the island in the 8th Century:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:22AM by Maggie » Logged
Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:56PM »

Beautiful, Maggie!  I hope one day I'll be able to see ALL the places I want to see in Ireland, though would probably have to move there permanently to accomplish that feat! Wink

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
Maggie
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 11:23PM »

.... I hope one day I'll be able to see ALL the places I want to see in Ireland, though would probably have to move there permanently to accomplish that feat! Wink

I hope you make it Jeanine.
meanwhile here are some more pictures of the Beara Peninsula:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:32PM by Maggie » Logged
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 07:47AM »

Beautiful and of course. Horses. Yep, Maggie is the tour guide.

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 11:13PM »

One of the things I really enjoy is showing Dave more of Ireland every time he goes.

When he got stationed in London, one of the things he wanted to see was Stonehenge.....so we went.

At that stage he still had not been to Ireland, or seen Newgrange.....or the Uragh stone circle on the Beara Peninsula.

He had a treat in store. There are still many places we want to explore.

What he loves is that "Ireland doesn't brag about these things, so it's totally unexpected!"

He's right.....you are just expected to discover them for yourself. That's why you should take your time.

Like this view of the Uragh megaliths:

Take a look here:
http://www.megalithics.com/ireland/uragh/uragmain.htm
and for a great panorama:
http://www.megalithics.com/ireland/uragh/uragpra1.htm

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:08AM by Maggie » Logged
Maggie
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 12:09AM »

Beautiful and of course. Horses. Yep, Maggie is the tour guide.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Anytime, Jim.....

Maggie
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 07:59AM »

News from the Beara Peninsula:

Pauliina Kauppila from Cahermore, Beara, and her dog Koiru recently qualified as a Search Dog team with SARDA, the Search and Rescue Dog Association. Pauliina, who is originally from Finland, is a member of Castletownbere Coast Guard unit and the Red Cross. Passing the SARDA assessment was the culmination of over three years training on the mountains of Kerry, Dublin/Wicklow, Connemara and of course Hungry Hill.
The assessment took place last weekend in the Comeragh Mountains and involved three continuous days searching under the scrutiny of international search and rescue dog handlers from Scotland, England and Wales. Both dog and handler passed with flying colours. Pauliina and Koiru are now part of the 999 emergency callout system and can be tasked to respond to searches by the Gardaí, Coast Guard, Civil Defence and Mountain Rescue teams. We wish them both well for the future.

Left to right: Koiru the coastguard rescue dog, Pauliina Kauppila, Martin Sullivan (Officer in Charge Coastguard)
and Noel Murphy who assisted with Koiru's training:

Some Spring babies in Beara.
Proud Mothers pose with their new arrivals:

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:16PM by Maggie » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: