Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Five Months in Ireland  (Read 67962 times)
meganelize

Taken at the gaol in dublin in July 2008

« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2010, 01:02PM »

Sarah you should have been in Cork for St. Patrick's Day! It was a blast!  And I love reading your blogs!

Maggie I will update my blog right now! My spring break has just begun- sort of, no more lectures, but 6000 words left and review lectures- then Exams in May! I did take a trip to Edinburgh so will put some pictures up from that! And I was in Cashel just a bit ago- it is a very cute town!

Ideas don't stay in some minds very long because they don't like solitary confinement.
CurlyandGreen

« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2010, 05:05PM »

I'll send you a pm with his details. I'll also tell him you might be in touch.

If he is up for it, that would be wonderful!

"You must do the things you think you cannot do."
         -Eleanor Roosevelt

We Hail Thee, Carolina
CurlyandGreen

« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2010, 03:58PM »

Okie dokie...this past week was insane.  My friend Erin came, as well as two people she has met in Scotland.  

I had some really neat things drawn up (Tipperary was one of them) but I ended up spending quite a bit of time (and money) on some of Ireland's biggest tourist traps.  I had fun, no doubt, but I got flustered because I didn't really get to do anything I wanted...I would have been okay not spending €15 getting to and getting in Blarney Castle-biking through Connemara sounded cooler to me. (And the girl who wanted to go to Blarney SOOOO badly didn't even kiss the Stone??)  But yeah-we didn't know that we were going to Cork until we got to the bus station, so I had pretty much no way of giving Megan a shout about being there!

Anyway, when my friend and her friends left this morning (from Dublin-we spent the weekend there) at 6:00, I decided that it was time to have a day out for ME.  I walked to Windmill Lane (the old recording studio-not where the girls record, but still cool anyway.)  It was nice because the sun was up, there was hardly a cloud in the sky, and it was quiet.  Also, I feel like I must have walked halfway across Ireland...not a bad feeling, of course.

Before I had even checked out of our hostel, however, I looked up a few things that helped get where I wanted to go...I hopped on the DART heading towards Bray (which was AWESOME) and within two hours (there was a gap between the next bus) and a walk up a long driveway, I ended up

HERE!!!!!

Of course my batteries in my camera died before I made through the rest of the gardens, but I'm actually going cancel my trip to the Aran Islands (I've been to the West twice now) and I'm going back to spend more time hiking through Wicklow, because I was only there for about an hour and a half-I had  to be back in Dublin to catch a bus.

Full blog post to come!

P.S.  I though y'all might get a little kick out of this.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:36PM by CurlyandGreen » Logged

-Eleanor Roosevelt

We Hail Thee, Carolina
SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2010, 06:01PM »

LOL,Sarah!!

How can you go all the way to Blarney Castle and NOT kiss that danged stone?!! LOL I've done it twice -the last time I went with a friend who didn't want to climb the steps to the top of the castle. I told her "I'll be right behind you" . She made it to the top,kissed the Blarney Stone,and still thanks me today for "persuading" her ! LOL

Hiking in the Wicklow Mountains - now, that's my cup of tea!

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
worldtraveler

« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2010, 09:53PM »

Great photos!  Powerscourt looks gorgeous on a clear day.  Unfortunately, when I had the chance to visit it in early July, it was pouring!!!  (And I love the Dúlaman pic!)
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2010, 10:04PM »

Cheesy Wonderful update Sarah! Sorry about your camera batteries though.
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2010, 11:55AM »

Good pics Sarah and I always think of visit Powerscourt Estate though was cloudy there when I went yet the leaving and returning to Dublin was sunny Roll Eyes Yet I wish I had more pics from visit.
Maggie
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2010, 03:19PM »

I love the photos, especially the one of you at Powerscourt, in the "Beat Clemson" shirt.

What a pity you didn't get to Tipp! I hope you get there before you leave.

The fact that "Blarney" is a synonym for Nonsense or BS tells you all you need to know.
There is no way anyone is going to get the gift of eloquence from hanging upside down and kissing a rock.
What the tourists demonstrate is gullibility, believing the Blarney of the Tour Guides.
But hey - we don't want to discourage them, Ireland needs the $$$$$$.

I love the Dulaman pic.....very creative! Cheesy

Biking and hiking around Connemara sounds wonderful to me.....

Try to stop into Matt Molloy's Pub (of the Chieftains) for refreshment along the way.....it is just an incredible place!
http://www.mattmolloy.com/

Also stop in Doolin.......this village is to Irish Music what Nashville is to Country Music.
http://www.doolinireland.net/
I can guarantee you - every seriously traditional musician in Ireland has played there.
It's in County Clare, north of the Cliffs of Moher.
http://www.doolinireland.net/

Local music fans line up:

CurlyandGreen

« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2010, 03:59PM »

I love the photos, especially the one of you at Powerscourt, in the "Beat Clemson" shirt.

That shirt is one of my favorites! As a college student, I have a huge (and I mean HUGE) t-shirt collection, mostly in garnet!  I got this particular one when a the soccer team asked if a few of the band members would be willing to play at the USC-Clemson game last year.  It has gotten some serious wear and is starting to look old, but I still wear it all the time. 

-Eleanor Roosevelt

We Hail Thee, Carolina
meganelize

Taken at the gaol in dublin in July 2008

« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2010, 09:19AM »

Haha Sarah, glad you had a good time and loved the photos! Everytime someone comes to visit me they want to see the Blarney castle- I tell them to go and I will wait- saw it once, i'll see it again... in ten years.

Ideas don't stay in some minds very long because they don't like solitary confinement.
CurlyandGreen

« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2010, 01:48PM »

I'm starting to feel a bit (very) stressed out.  I have my last final tomorrow morning and it is the one I am the most concerned about (not that it's hard but I really want to do well), I have to get two very heavy suitcases to the post office to ship them off, get on a bus to Dublin, and OH YEAH, the volcano is erupting again!!! Huh Angry Undecided  I'm not sure if I want to chance it and see what happens or cancel my flight to Glasgow and find a ferry to SOMEWHERE on the landmass that is know as Great Britain. 

::head desk::  Update on the blog. 

Anyone have a hammer and a VERY LARGE cork?

-Eleanor Roosevelt

We Hail Thee, Carolina
Natalia
Bodhrán Player

May 12 was a wonderful day!

« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2010, 01:52PM »

Very nice pictures! ireland is beautiful!

CurlyandGreen

« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2010, 03:55PM »

^^Thanks!

I'm feeling a little more at ease.  I went ahead and cancelled my flight (it was only €8) and now I'm taking the bus to Dublin tomorrow (my last ride on Bus Eireann  Embarrassed) and I'm staying in a hostel overnight as originally planned, then getting up in the morning and taking the train to Belfast, a ferry to Stranraer, and then another train to Glasgow.  It is costing me a bit more, but I was going to have to check my bag with Ryanair anyway, and now I have peace of mind (and I can take my teddy bear with me now that I'm not under baggage restriction.  I'm more excited about this than I should admit.  Haha.)

I'M NOT READY TO LEAVE YET!!!!!!

-Eleanor Roosevelt

We Hail Thee, Carolina
Natalia
Bodhrán Player

May 12 was a wonderful day!

« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2010, 04:00PM »

ireland must be a great place to be!

Maggie
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2010, 06:25PM »

I'm feeling a little more at ease.  I went ahead and cancelled my flight (it was only €8) and now I'm taking the bus to Dublin tomorrow (my last ride on Bus Eireann  Embarrassed) and I'm staying in a hostel overnight as originally planned, then getting up in the morning and taking the train to Belfast, a ferry to Stranraer, and then another train to Glasgow.  It is costing me a bit more, but I was going to have to check my bag with Ryanair anyway, and now I have peace of mind (and I can take my teddy bear with me now that I'm not under baggage restriction.  I'm more excited about this than I should admit.  Haha.)

I'M NOT READY TO LEAVE YET!!!!!!

I think you did the sensible thing. The ferry crossing on that route only takes 2 hours.
I hope you reserved your seat, I'm guessing the ferries and trains will be busy now that the volcanic ash is back!

I just checked, the train from Stranraer to Glasgow can take from 55 minutes (very fast!) to 2 hours 56 minutes,
depending on your departure time.
It should be a fascinating trip.
I love taking different routes.....you see more every time.
You probably won't have the chance to look around Belfast, which is a shame. That would be interesting.
Wishing you the very best of luck with your finals.
Where do you fly home from?
When you are settled in at home, I would love to read your views looking back on your whole 5 months experience.

I'm praying for your safety and a great time with your friends.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 06:27PM by Maggie » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: