Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Derek "Ding Dong" Bell  (Read 2874 times)
Maggie
« on: February 14, 2010, 03:25AM »

Derek Bell was the Harpist with the World-famous Chieftains.
Harpists have a special place in the hearts of Irish people everywhere.
The Harp is the National symbol of Ireland, and is very much part of Celtic Culture.

When he was born in 1935, he was diagnosed with a condition which could result in blindness,
so his parents gave him a musical upbringing, so he might be able to make a career of it.    

He was a wonderful musician who played the Harp, harpsichord, hammered dulcimer, piano and oboe.
He was also a prolific composer, and wrote his first concerto at age 12.
He was a kind man who willingly shared his knowledge and expertise. He was also a great practical joker,
and there is a deliberate double-entendre in one his CD titles (You'll have too find it for yourselves).  
He was best known as the serious-looking harpist seated serenely at his instrument,
while the rest of the Chieftains belted out the tunes.

He was the only band member who always wore a tie, but if you looked at his feet
he had Looney Tunes characters on his socks.
He had a wicked and wacky sense of humour, and an angelic smile.
Sadly, he passed away of a heart attack in Phoenix AZ in 2002, age 67, at the end of a US Tour.

Órlagh's concert in Atlanta on 13th December was a friendly, intimate gathering of about 200 people.
While introducing a tune, Órlagh mentioned her hero and mentor Derek "Ding Dong" Bell.
I nodded my head and she noticed.....she said "Ah yes I see Maggie knows who he is!"
Órlagh has mentioned him a few times, so I thought he deserves a place of his own, in tribute to a great
and wonderfully eccentric musician, who is sadly missed not only by the other Chieftains,
but by all who knew him, loved him, or simply heard him play.

Even the Queen of England recognized his extraordinary talent, she awarded him the MBE for his services to traditional music.
This was possible only because he was born in Northern Ireland...
....if he had been born 40 miles further South, he would not have qualified!  Smiley

He has left a deafening silence in Irish traditional music.
I think the Lord must have needed Derek to instruct the Angel harpists, and to make them laugh.

Here is Derek with the Chieftains as they accompany Martina McBride singing an old Irish song.
 Hands up if you think this would be a good song for Lisa and CW:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOOlKBwhIHA

Derek having fun on the piano here with friends. Paddy Moloney thinks he's overdoing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQaJq-COBhc  

Thank you Derek!                                                                                                            
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:31AM by Maggie » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: