Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: At Long Last, My SFTH Concert Review (Wilkes-Barre, PA)  (Read 5797 times)
rrs51377

« on: March 20, 2010, 09:35PM »

(Part I)

My apologies to those who have waited for more than three weeks to read this, but it’s been a crazy time for me lately at work.  You might recall I sell Toyotas; and despite the recent firestorm of bad press my employer has received, our customer base has remained amazingly loyal to us.  (It’s comforting to know that not everyone has bought into the idea that we suddenly forgot how to make good automobiles.)  But I digress…

Before I proceed any further, I will sum up my recent experience at the Celtic Woman concert in Wilkes-Barre, PA with six words:

The Best Concert I’ve Seen Yet

Is it a bold statement?  Absolutely.  Do we tend to overuse the expression?  Without a doubt.  In fact, someone at the meet & greet was very quick to point out that I had utilized this superlative to describe basically every show I had attended.  While that may or may not be true (and I’m certain that it is), I say these words with the utmost sincerity.  And if you’ll indulge me by reading further, I will attempt to demonstrate my point with very specific examples of how this year’s show surpasses every version that came before it.

First, let me start by explaining the criteria I’m using for this discussion.  It’s probably fair to say that when most of us compare different shows, 95% or more of our opinion is influenced by two factors:

#1)   What songs are being performed
#2)   Who’s performing them

It’s only natural to focus on these factors, because they do in fact make up the lion’s share of determining just how good the finished product ultimately is.  But walking out of Mohegan Sun Arena Wednesday night, I was very convinced on a couple of things:

With regard to #1, the overall quality of the song selection has been so consistently high for the past 5 years, that any comparison between songs at this point is simply a matter of preference.  It’s akin to eating at a five-star restaurant—you might not fall madly in love with everything on the menu, but you can rest assured that if the chef put it there, it must be good.  And this is certainly the case with Songs from the Heart.  Whether you prefer ‘Sky and The Dawn and The Sun’ or ‘Níl Sé`n Lá’, they are both unquestionably great songs.  And quite often you’ll find that over time, some songs will grow on you in ways you’d never expect.  (‘Last Rose Fantasia’ is a great example for me personally—always liked it, but over time I came to love it even more than some of Máiréad’s most technically amazing numbers.)

As for #2, the same principle applies.  It’s not—nor should it ever have been—a question of who is the best performer(s) in the group.  Most of us have our one favorite, it’s only natural.  But in no way does that diminish the fact that every one of these ladies are among the very best at their chosen craft.  We travel great distances to watch them all, and they never seem to disappoint us.  In fact, you never know when it will happen but at some point, each lady will give a performance that stirs your soul in such a distinct way that it cannot be duplicated by anyone else.  (I experienced this for myself in Wilkes-Barre a couple of times, and it wasn’t who I expected.)

So then what exactly was it that makes this year’s show superior (at least in the eyes of this spectator) to all previous versions that preceded it?  Simply put, DETAIL.
(Quick disclaimer:  I still have yet to watch the Powerscourt performance; so much of what I’m fixing to comment about will likely be common knowledge to those of you who did watch it.  Still, I wanted to see the live show completely unspoiled and in retrospect, I’m so glad that I did.)

Performance art is like any great skill—the more you practice it, the more proficient you become.  And with greater proficiency comes the desire to differentiate oneself from the competition.  The creative team of Celtic Woman is clearly no exception to this rule, because instead of resting on their well-deserved laurels, they took a judicious look at every aspect of the show, identified ways to improve each one, and then did just that.  The attention to detail in this show was so amazing, that it would realistically take a good 10 viewings to catch everything.  But let me point out some of the highlights:

The Choir: Hands down, this was their best performance.  The sound/harmony was so rich that I thought there were 12 people on stage instead of 6. I really took notice during ‘My Lagan Love’—the lower register during that piece was practically haunting in its beauty.  (Combined with Lynn’s exquisite vocals, it was one of the surprise performances of the night for me.)  Furthermore, there were a couple of numbers (the Mo Ghile Mear reprise comes to mind) that had been carefully re-arranged, thus allowing the choir a little more opportunity to hold the spotlight.  While it has always been a strong point of CW, this particular grouping was outstanding to the point that I would have paid good money to see them perform without any accompaniment.

Bagpipes: Few instruments can evoke such depth of emotion from its listener quite like the bagpipes.  And for CW to pick up Anthony Byrne for this year’s tour was an outstanding acquisition.  His introductory solo in ‘Amazing Grace’ was one of the single best moments in the entire show—I loved the fact that he played two stanzas instead of just one.  It doesn’t matter if you’re of Irish or Scottish heritage (I’m of the latter)—when the chanter and the drone are united as seamlessly as they were in this performance, you can’t help but envision the Isles in all their resplendent beauty.

The Mic: This might seem like a very simple thing, but on three different occasions Wednesday night (twice with Lisa and once with Chloë); a traditional hand-held microphone was used on stage to superb results.  It’s hard to explain, but I felt as if each song had been imbued with an even more personal and soulful feel to it than usual.  (Hard to believe that’s even possible, considering the way these girls sing their hearts out every night.)  It was most apparent when I heard Lisa sing ‘The Moon’s a Harsh Mistress’—she seemed to crank up the emotion an extra notch and the end result was nothing short of breathtaking.

Speaking On Stage: To the person(s) who spearheaded the idea that each lady would speak at some point during the concert—VERY smart move.  It changes the complete dynamic of the show by making it feel ten times more intimate.  To those of you who’ve had the good fortune to attend a meet & greet, you know that as beautiful as these ladies sound on-stage, they are as equally charming and engaging off of it.  So what better way for them to express their gratitude to their many thousands of supporters than by just speaking to them candidly mid-performance?    Judging strictly from the reaction in Wilkes-Barre, it’s safe to say that the audience is thrilled with this new format.  Equally (if not more so) impressive was just how much fun all of the girls seemed to have when talking—it left the impression that they had been doing this at shows for many years.  (And anyone who has spoken in front of 50 or more people can concur that it isn’t easy, no matter how gifted you might be at it.)  Again, great idea and flawless execution!

Overall Presentation (A Few Quick Points): Liked the stage setup—having Ray and Nicky a little bit higher was great.  Loved the fact that both the choir and Adrian actually came out into the audience at different points of the show—makes the show feel a bit more intimate.  Also, liked the use of candles with the choir—it’s a little thing, but it spoke a great deal about the effort that was put into the planning of this year’s show.  In the end, it was such a commendable effort by everyone involved, that even if there were little things to nitpick, I frankly have no desire to do so. 

Ryan

"Diplomacy - The art of letting someone have it your way"
rrs51377

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 09:40PM »

(Part II)

Now if you haven’t dozed off yet, permit me to give a brief commentary of each song.  There may be a couple of omissions (simply because I lack both the time and creative energy to do the entire show justice), but I’ll do my best.

Níl Sé'n Lá: Awesome way to open the show.  This was one of the few songs I had to hear before attending the show, and the live version was even better.  The opening arrangement was particularly good—that softer, more subtle beginning offered the perfect table-setter for what was to come.  Beautiful, fast-paced and above all, captivating—if this number doesn’t get your blood flowing faster, then you’re at the wrong event.

Fields of Gold: What a difference a year makes.  As amazing of a job as Lisa did with this number last season, she took it to a whole different level this time around.  The depth in her voice was richer, and the emotion was more tangible.  It takes a great deal of talent to do this song justice, but she most definitely pulls it off.

The Coast Of Galiçia: Perhaps the only complaint I have about this show……is that you barely get a chance to collect your thoughts before something else commands your full attention.  This piece is a prime example of just that.  Máiréad was once again at her vintage best, just squeezing every ounce of life out of her fiddle, and amplifying it a hundred times over. 

Galway Bay: If no one has done so already, let me just add public speaker to the list of Chloë’s ever abundant career options.  There is absolutely no tentativeness in this young lady—the stage is her domain, and woe be upon anyone who tries to outshine her on it.  As for the song itself, I’m still not sure if it was meant as a musical triumph or a four-minute promotional spot for the Irish board of tourism, because it would have succeeded on both fronts.  This might have been Chloë’s coming out party—you can stop talking about her potential, and start talking about the fact there are only a handful of present-day singers who can hold a candle to her majestic voice.  (Thankfully, this show is fortunate enough to have three of them.)

Orinoco Flow: I can never seem to tire of this number.  Not that David would ever let it happen—again, another great example of his ability to make just a few small changes to the arrangements.  In so doing, he pumped new life into the song; and as you’d expect, the girls were flawless on their end.

My Lagan Love: Wednesday night marked the first time I had ever heard this song, and wow……just……wow!  It hammers home the point that David fully understands the individual strengths of his artists, and then gives them the best material to showcase those strengths.  Lynn is phenomenal in this number—rarely does a voice so delicate pierce your soul with such force.   Like I said earlier, it was one of (if not the) surprise performances of the night for me.

The New Ground / Isle of Hope, Isle of Tears: The name of the intro is very appropriate, because this song—along with ‘The Call’ and ‘O, America’—really helped usher in the new era of Celtic Woman.  Since we’ve only ever heard these particular five perform it, there are no previous versions with which to compare it.  I particularly love how this number simultaneously elicits two very deep and genuine responses from the listener: 1 ) the longing one has to hold on to his/her heritage and what’s familiar, and 2 ) the anticipation that comes with beginning a new chapter in one’s life.  Bottom line: when you put Brendan Graham and David Downes together, good things are bound to happen.

My Heart Was Home Again: Great addition to the show!  When I heard Alex sing this, one word kept coming to mind: Broadway.  This song was tailor-made for her—she absolutely nailed it.  Leila told me afterward that one could see her stage training in full bloom, and I couldn’t agree more. 

Granuaile's Dance: Máiréad can keep playing this on tour indefinitely, because I don’t see myself tiring of this one any time in the near future.  This is a prime example of music that I have on my “Going to Work” playlist, because it’s every bit as effective as a Red Bull in jump-starting your morning, without the messy crash that inevitably follows.

Goodnight My Angel: Simple song, yet so moving when placed in such capable hands as these three.  I love the placement of this song right after ‘Granuaile's Dance’—after taking an exhilarating ride on the space shuttle, all you want is just a smooth, soft landing.

Danny Boy: I almost feel as if I’m getting spoiled on this song.  The textbook precision they display every time they perform this number almost makes it feel (dare I say it) routine.  Yet there is nothing even remotely routine about the raw emotions they trigger when singing this evocative piece.  Unquestionably one of the best a capella performances I’ve ever had the privilege to enjoy. 

Mo Ghile Mear: What’s the old saying, “If it aint broke, don’t fix it?”  My sentiments exactly.  U2 has been playing ‘With or Without You’ for better than 2 decades worth of concerts, and people still want to hear it.  ‘Mo Ghile Mear’ is such an integral part of the show—both acts 1 AND 2—that it’s hard to imagine the day that they ultimately retire it.  ‘Nuff said.
(And for the record Leila, I did catch Lisa’s wink out of the corner of my eye, but I wasn’t completely sure it was meant for me.  Whether or not it was, I’ll defer to your judgement.)    Wink

The Call: As I mentioned before with ‘Isle of Hope, Isle of Tears’, the best aspect of this number is that it’s exclusive to this particular group of five.  I recall last year’s show in which they had gorgeous aerial shots (I’m assuming they were of Ireland?) on the screen as the song opened.  While there were no videos this time around, there was really no need for them, because this piece—like most every other in the program—is incredibly atmospheric, so it painted that vivid imagery in your mind by itself.  Also, the arrangements were tweaked just enough to add a little extra flavor to the song without compromising any of its original charm.

Amazing Grace: There’s simply no way for me not to be biased when talking about this piece, because it’s probably my favorite hymn of all time.  It’s a simple yet beautiful melody, and when coupled with the sheer power of its message—we are talking about the greatest of our Lord’s gifts—it can humble even the proudest of men.  Heck, I teared up before Anthony’s bagpipe solo had wrapped, and the girls had yet to sing a single note.  (But oh how glorious was the sound when they did!)  Brilliantly arranged and stunningly executed, I can say without hesitation that this was the high point of any show I’ve attended. 

Dulaman: I must confess that Meav’s version of this song has been so firmly engrained in my consciousness (easily one of my favorite numbers from ANJ), that for quite some time it somewhat compromised my enjoyment of Lynn’s rendition.  That’s no longer the case now, and it’s a huge credit to Lynn’s talent that she has firmly placed her own stamp on the song.  From her endearing intro to the rousing finale, it was nothing short of brilliant.

You'll Be In My Heart: This song has really grown on me, and it’s entirely Alex’s doing.  The original Phil Collins version was good, but it was never something I would put on my iPod playlist per se.  Alex, however, gives the song her trademark burst of energy and in so doing, elevates it to greater heights. 

Songs from the Heart (All Parts): Regrettably, I am unable to review this piece in detail for two reasons: 1 ) up until now, I’ve only listened to it once, and 2 ) I waited too long to put my thoughts to paper (when you work 70 hours a week and your short term memory is weak at best, that tends to happen).  Fortunately, I will be attending two more shows in the next 6 weeks, so that won’t be a problem for long.  Having said that, I only needed to hear it once to know that I REALLY liked it.  Great job with the Alex/Lynn & Chloë/Lisa pairings, and of course when they all came together for the second part, it was just as phenomenal as you’d expect it to be.

The Moon’s a Harsh Mistress: As I said earlier, the live performance adds that little extra ‘something’ emotionally that you simply can’t get in a studio recording.  Maybe it’s just because Lisa steps up her intensity on-stage (as do all of the soloists), and perhaps the simple use of a hand-held mic played a contributing factor.  In the end, one fact remains immutable:

Lisa + Máiréad + Piano = Great Music

Non C'è Più: If ‘Amazing Grace’ was the toughest song for me to get through without choking up, then this came in a close second.  Like so many of the works they’ve performed over the past five years, it tells a moving story to which people of all generations can relate at some point in their lives.  I particularly loved the steady yet dramatic manner in which the song ascended until it reached its crescendo—simply breathtaking.  (In that brief moment of silence, I swear you could hear everyone in the arena exhale.)  You have to believe that if Dvorak had lived to hear this, he would have been very pleased.

When You Believe: Maybe it was result of her having a year’s worth of experience under her belt, and maybe it was the result of using the hand-held mic.  Either way, Chloë absolutely NAILED this.  (I wonder if either Whitney or Mariah had her ‘game’ when they were the same age.)

At the Ceili: It’s perhaps the single-most FUN number in the show (with ‘Spanish Lady’ running a very close second).  What makes it great is that the girls essentially get to ‘act’ in this piece, and that in itself is sheer delight.  The playful interaction amongst everyone on stage puts it over the top—it comes across as very natural and makes the viewers feel as if they’re truly invited guests at the party.  (So why don’t we have more ceilis on this side of the pond?)     Grin

Last Rose Fantasia / The Mason’s Apron: The first part might be my favorite piece that Máiréad performs on a regular basis.  ‘Galacia’ and ‘Contradiction’ may be more technically demanding numbers, but this one allows her to strike a chord much deeper in the soul (to me at least).  She’s been playing it on tour now for over three years, and I still get chills hearing it live.  Part 2, meanwhile, is exactly what you’d come to expect—Máiréad, Nick and Rae scorching the stage like only they can.  Love the interaction amongst the three—the epitome of joy.

You Raise Me Up / Mo Ghile Mear (Reprise) / Spanish Lady: Apart from some changes in the arrangements, this segment was left largely untouched—and that’s more than OK by me.  From start to finish, this segment rivals any finale by any other musical act.  What made it even better was the fact that a good portion of the audience (at least everyone in our general vicinity) kept standing throughout the final five-plus minutes of the show (at prior shows, they would typically sit down as ‘Spanish Lady’ started, but not this time).  What more could you ask for!

To those of you who didn’t fall asleep while reading this, you have my utmost appreciation.  My efforts to express the broad spectrum of emotions evoked by this magnificent production are pedestrian at best.  But at the very least, I hope that you enjoyed this commentary for the sincerity with which it was written.  I’ve been very blessed to have had the chance to enjoy this extraordinary brand of music, but perhaps even more rewarding are the genuine friendships I have been allowed to forge with fellow concert-goers.  For these reasons, I earnestly hope to continue my patronage of Celtic Woman for as long as possible.  It’s the most effective way I know how to thank all of you who have brought me much joy over the last 3-plus years.

In closing, I would like to address the individual who told me that I always say “it was the best concert I’ve attended”:

Lisa, no matter how many times I go to meet & greets, I always manage to fumble my words a bit when attempting to express my appreciation.  (Ironic when you consider that I make my living in sales)  Hopefully what I’ve written here will convince you that I meant exactly what I said.  To you and everyone else whose efforts made the show a rousing success, I wish you the very best in all of your endeavors.

Take Care & God Bless,

Ryan R. Scheffer
Salado, TX

PS: See you all again April 9th in Chicago!

Ryan

"Diplomacy - The art of letting someone have it your way"
Gambit

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:53PM »

Beautiful review!!

Thanks for the buttons, Rich!

God bless our troops!
lifeismusic2009
Total Fanatic

<3

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 10:08PM »

Wonderful review!!

Thanks, Dayna, for my awesome banners!
John910

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 10:19PM »

Great review

I was at that concert too.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:51AM by John910 » Logged
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:51PM »

Fantastic Ryan!  I loved reading this...you are gifted.  I so wish I was going to Chicago, but alas, I am not.  Maybe we'll catch up with each other next year!

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
CWLisaFan
Choir Member

Life is good. :)

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:19AM »

That review was simply fantastic!!!  Thank you for sharing it with us all!!!

Feeling so lucky for having met Lisa, Lynn, Chloe, Mairead & Orlagh!!

Ready for Symphony and Believe!!!
wareagle

MEAV IS ALL YOU COULD HAVE IMAGINED

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 12:08PM »

excellent review.  We saw them in Atlanta and have 2 more times to go. but like you said ithought it was the best CW performance to date and I have become a Lynn & Alex fans also.. Maev aand Orla are missed but Lynn "dance to dance" and Alex's you'll be in my heart have converted me to their irish ways.
 ;Dken
MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 07:36PM »

Fantastic review Ryan! I enjoyed reading your take on the concert. Thanks for sharing!
Thomas
Total Fanatic

I am The Voice - I will remain (Thank You CC)

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 06:29AM »

Great review Ryan,

I'm looking forward to seeing you in Chicago,

Safe travels,

Tom

Banner by Scott

IDIC - Live long and prosper
greenfire6
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 04:30PM »

Powerful review Ryan! Thanks for commiting the time to write and post. Your right about the attention to detail contributing to what makes CW so remarkable. I take it as all part of that "relentless pursuit of perfection" that the organization has embarked upon from the first.

Giving fair deference to all the variables, the SFTH Tour could be the best presentation and delivery of the best set lists ever. But that's a fine line to cut because all their Shows- as indeed the DVDs/CDs, are each a stand-alone work of art- all worthy of our praise.

Truth be known I'm writing way above myself. I've only attended 2 ANJ and 2 IOH and have not attended SFTH yet.

Thanks again for a stunning review of what is obviously a stunning performance.
Wickster
Honorary Roadie

Class of 2011!

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 04:38PM »

Fantastic Review, dear friend.
I am honored i had the privilege of spending this amazing night by your side at the concert.
 Grin Grin Grin

Wickster xx

"Even when they have nothing, the Irish emit a kind of happiness, a joy."
-Fiona Shaw
Irish CW Fan
Total Fanatic

Paint With All the Colors of the Wind...

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 05:35PM »

Amazing!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: