Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inappropriate topics  (Read 48892 times)
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2007, 08:36PM »

One thing about the internet si that sometimes you never know how old a person is in teh beginning. I have made friends  (and become writing partners) with people where there is a large age gap and others who are close to my age. ( Neither of us knew the others age.)

if a person flat out tells you that they do not wan't to discuss age, then I think one should do the polite thing and not mention it again.

IMHO

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 08:40PM »

And as for the age thing. I would like to know a women's age so when i chat with them, i know how to act.
I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make.  But I want to expand slightly on two things.  First of all, we on this forum are not chatting with someone; we're chatting about them.  Secondly, I understand perfectly the natural curiosity about the ladies' ages.  But several of the CW performers choose to keep that information private, and we choose to respect that.  That's all there is to it.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Conchobar
Total Fanatic

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 08:53PM »

Rich, I agree. If I may add my two cents. Everyone is sensitive about something. I have mentioned my age several times when it was pertinent to the conversation, but that is me, It's never been a big deal to me. As for wanting to know someones age so you know how to act around them I think the real answer to that is that you talk to everyone with respect regardless of their sex, age,  whether you agree with what their saying or not.

Truth is just like time, it catches up, and it just keeps going.  DW
Texas Chava

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 08:39AM »

I'll just throw in my two cents too, LOL.  People, especially women are judged by their age by society.  I stopped going into the chatroom when someone made a comment about me being old...so I just stopped going there.  I don't have a problem telling my age (I've worked hard to get here) but others do and we need to respect that.

Banner by Scott
KiernanKate
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 08:43AM »

I agree with you wholeheartedly.... and I'm sorry someone caused you to abandon the chatroom....
<3 Lauren
Total Fanatic

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 08:45AM »

Chava, I'm so sorry anyone would make you feel like you do not want to be in the chatroom. I really hope you can find your way back to the chat. There are many of us who would miss you. If you have any further "rather rude comments about your age" please notify one of the moderators or Rich/Aislin.

<3 Lauren

<3
Texas Chava

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2007, 09:22AM »

I want to thank everyone for their supportive comments.  The event happened a while ago and I really did get over it.  As a teacher (and I'm always teaching) let me share something about inappropriate topics and comments that I teach to my students and my own children.   I'm sorry is a good thing to say  BUT it not a cure all.  I tell my kids to say I'm sorry if they hurt someone's feelings, but I'm sorry doesn't take away the hurt.  It is like throwing feathers in the wind.  You can say you're sorry you did it, but you will never recover all the feathers again...the damage cannot be totally fixed.  We need to think before we speak and act, and not just cover everything with "I'm Sorry" .  Ok, I'm off my soapbox now!

Banner by Scott
KiernanKate
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 09:27AM »

Well said..... and now that you said/ wrote that you got me thinking of a sign that my high school math teacher had hanging in his room.... and according to him, he hung it on his first day of teaching and just left it there........

Sorry is not Enough
A change in behavior
Is what is Needed

Truer words were never spoken I think.
Conchobar
Total Fanatic

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 09:47AM »

Both of those statements are so true!
Chava I hope your students appreciate what a great teacher they have. Not only in classroom lesson, but equally in life lessons. Cudos to you.

Truth is just like time, it catches up, and it just keeps going.  DW
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007, 11:46AM »

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now!
   Cheesy
You're a wise, good person, Chava.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
KiernanKate
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 11:48AM »

So are you Rich ...... but everyone has raised some good poiints here what is acceptable and what's not.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 01:28PM »

So are you Rich ...... but everyone has raised some good poiints here what is acceptable and what's not.
Thank you.  But I have an advantage.  I make the rules. 

KiernanKate
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2007, 01:29PM »

touche!!!!!!!!
Moscapoet
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2007, 03:33PM »

Every organization needs rules and boundaries. Anarchy is a poor option. I am very grateful to rich and all the others folks who watch this forum closely and guard it against trouble. The only thing that matters here is our common bond of love for these ladies and the family we've established with each other here. I've never been involved with an online forum before and find all of this a very pleasant experience. Age and other personal things that our CW ladies don't wish to share are the fodder for the tabloids. I don't need to know anything that any of the folks at CW whatever their capacity don't wish to share. The same goes for all of you. I respect your privacy and hope all here do as well. One thing I learned though a long time ago is that in the human experience you cannot go through life and not be offended. The key for it all is to never offend intentionally and to apologize when you do inadvertently. Thanks again for holding the reins just tight enough to keep it on the straight and narrow.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2007, 03:49PM »

Thanks again for holding the reins just tight enough to keep it on the straight and narrow.
Thank you.  We know there are times when we err on the side of caution, and that may come out looking a bit heavy-handed.  But this is an inexact science, and we'd rather be accused of being too careful than not enough.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: