Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inappropriate topics  (Read 48743 times)
Moscapoet
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2007, 03:59PM »

AMEN!
jsharp

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2007, 05:00PM »

Another inappropriate topic: Critics. Especially for the New York Times.  Lips sealed Cheesy

“You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” - Anne Lamott

Charlie'sAngels

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2007, 09:59AM »

I don't want to know thier birthdays...I'm just glad they were born!!!
KiernanKate
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2007, 10:00AM »

You and the rest of us nutters!
willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2007, 04:43PM »

Question Regarding YouTube and uploading parts of CW DVDs currently for sale:  Isn't that copyright infringement, and if so, should we be promoting YouTube videos of this material (i.e. YouTube video of Chloe's "Vivaldi's Rain") on this site?  I understand that the material is not being sold, but don't the laws cover free content as well?

BTW...I am only referring to content that comes directly from the DVDs currently on sale.

Thanks!   Smiley

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2007, 06:20PM »

Question Regarding YouTube and uploading parts of CW DVDs currently for sale:  Isn't that copyright infringement, and if so, should we be promoting YouTube videos of this material (i.e. YouTube video of Chloe's "Vivaldi's Rain") on this site?  I understand that the material is not being sold, but don't the laws cover free content as well?

BTW...I am only referring to content that comes directly from the DVDs currently on sale.

Thanks!   Smiley

Excellent question, and one that thousands of webmasters are struggling with right now.  Last fall, YouTube removed nearly 30,000 videos after being contacted by a number of Japanese rights-holders, according to the Japan Society for Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers (JASRAC).  YouTube is legally bound to police their content for illegal posts.  So far, the attitude in the rest of the Internet community is that the content is YouTube's responsibility.  We're not posting the actual videos here; we're just hotlinking to them.  And YouTube not only permits hotlinking, they encourage it.  If, by some chance, the video is removed, the link on our forum will simply stop working.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Moscapoet
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2007, 07:24PM »

Personally I think if you love the group and respect their rights and talent you should buy their CDs and DVDs not snag them for free. I'm just as strapped for money as many but I'll save my pennies and support our ladies not just at a concert but at the store. Maybe it is different if you like just one song from an artist and thats it and you download it, but that still is fudging a bit. No disrespect to those who do that but it just seems inconsistent to steal from someone you love. The YouTube things that you can't get anywhere else are another thing though, like interviews and non-production videos. I'm such a techno-trog I couldn't do it if I wanted to anyway. Cheers!
epicwolf

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2007, 07:28PM »

Thanks!   Smiley

Excellent question, and one that thousands of webmasters are struggling with right now.  Last fall, YouTube removed nearly 30,000 videos after being contacted by a number of Japanese rights-holders, according to the Japan Society for Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers (JASRAC).  YouTube is legally bound to police their content for illegal posts.  So far, the attitude in the rest of the Internet community is that the content is YouTube's responsibility.  We're not posting the actual videos here; we're just hotlinking to them.  And YouTube not only permits hotlinking, they encourage it.  If, by some chance, the video is removed, the link on our forum will simply stop working.

I always wondered that. You can practicly get the whole ANJ on youtube (which i have in my favorites though i also bought the dvd). And not only CW you can check out. You can also check out other materials also. I wondered why Youtube or people who post the videos never get any lawsuit in terms of copyright enfringement?

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2007, 08:13PM »

01 June 2007
From ITWire, an excellent Australian technology portal:

Shock: YouTube not sued but signs deal instead

EMI finally joins Warner, Sony BMG and Universal in licensing music videos to the world’s largest and most popular video sharing and viewing service, YouTube – with no lawsuit!

As well known for collecting billion dollar lawsuits as being the world’s online video destination, and for having been bought by Google for a whopping US $1.65 billion dollars, YouTube has proven that it still has friends out there after announcing a new agreement with EMI Music.

YouTube’s statement explains that YouTube users “now have unprecedented access to authorized videos and recordings from EMI Music artists, including those featured in user generated content” – although some artists, such as the Beatles, will be precluded from inclusion in the deal, as is still the case with iTunes.

Chad Hurley, CEO and Co-founder of YouTube said that “With this deal, all four of the world’s major music companies are now official YouTube partners. EMI is a proven leader in the emerging digital music landscape and one of the world’s largest and most respected music companies. We’re excited to add EMI Music’s stellar roster of artists’ content to our site and make it available to our community.”

Before Google’s purchase of YouTube, Warner, Sony and Universal took a small stake in YouTube as part of their similar licensing agreements. Whether EMI was able to partake of a similar arrangement was not disclosed.

Eric Nicoli, CEO of EMI Group, said: “Working with YouTube under this agreement meets EMI’s objectives to offer consumers the best possible entertainment experiences, to create new ways to connect our artists to fans and to enter into innovative business models that will generate revenues for our business and our creators. YouTube has quickly established itself as a stand-out fan favorite because it’s a site that taps into what people want and also consistently delivers a good experience. Through this agreement EMI Music and its artists will be fairly compensated for their work.”

Artists such as David Bowie, Coldplay, Fatboy Slim, Norah Jones, Gorillaz, Lily Allen, The Decemberists, and ‘YouTube Video Award winners’ OK Go, known for their famous treadmill video ‘Here It Goes Again’ that achieved massive popularity last year and Sick Puppies, who scored a hit with their hugely popular ‘Free Hugs’ video.

The videos are naturally professionally produced, and at are users disposal to insert parts thereof into their own user-generated content (mash up) that can only be uploaded, legally at any rate, to YouTube, solving the problem of users getting the content from other sources and using part of it in their own content with prior permission.

Naturally, there is a revenue sharing component to the deal, with EMI working with YouTube (and naturally, YouTube’s owner, Google), to “monetize the content and compensate its artists”, presumably through target text and video advertising, although specific details of the advertising in mind or the financial agreement itself were not disclosed.

They’re using YouTube’s content identificiation and reporting system, giving EMI complete visibility into the status and usage of their content across the YouTube network, alongside giving them the ability to “request the removal of EMI’s copyrighted content from YouTube” if they find something they don’t like.

Google’s share price broke through the US $500 barrier for the first time in 5 months following the news, although closed just under the $500 mark at the close of trade, in a sign the stock market thought well of the deal, although remembering that Google is worth US $500 a share is certainly as eye-opening as any popular YouTube video.

One thing’s for sure: when the inevitable stock market correction comes, the news reports will find themselves uploaded to YouTube, quite possibly mashed up with suitable elements from EMI, Sony BMG, Warner or Universal.

In the meantime, YouTube users who’ve wanted to use EMI owned content can breathe a sigh of relief and hope that now only will YouTube resolves its other lawsuits, but continue growing further on the path to one day delivering ‘YouTube HD’ in high def!

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Celeste

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2007, 08:15PM »

(i.e. YouTube video of Chloe's "Vivaldi's Rain")

Odd that this, of all things, should be singled out, since, as others have said, the entire Helix Concert, Slane Castle, and now, much of the rest of Chloe's DVD, is available (interviews from the DVDs included) on YouTube.

I agree that it would be a shame if any of the TV performances were deleted, as those are only available on YouTube and nowhere else.

I imagine that every company (e.g., Celtic Woman Ltd) weighs the pros vs. the cons of YouTube clip posting, and if they believe that the publicity value outweights the detriments, then they turn a blind eye.

It's hard to say whether the posting of clips means less DVD sales, or more. I'd bet it's the latter (people being prompted to buy DVDs after seeing attractive clips online), but it would be hard to quantify.

Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2007, 11:04AM »

Am I reading this right?  Celtic Woman can now get some revenue from all of the clips posted on YouTube?  That's great!  They did the work, they deserve the revenue!

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2007, 11:58AM »

Am I reading this right?  Celtic Woman can now get some revenue from all of the clips posted on YouTube?  That's great!  They did the work, they deserve the revenue!
The label and the artist(s) are compensated under the licensing agreement for posted music videos (and some concert footage, depending on who owns it).  YouTube receives money from its advertisers, and this money is shared with their partners when someone views a video covered by the agreement.  This is why YouTube encourages hotlinking; it increases the exposure of the video, thereby increasing everyone's revenue stream.  Concert videos captured on someone's camera phone, or from a TV broadcast, are still considered a violation of the copyright and are not included in the agreement.

willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2007, 12:10PM »

That's great!  I'm glad to see that not only is CW getting more exposure through YouTube, now they will get some revenue as well.   Grin

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
KiernanKate
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2007, 12:11PM »

Im confused.... why do tv broadcasts not count Rich?
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2007, 12:15PM »

Im confused.... why do tv broadcasts not count Rich?
That's video captured from a TV broadcast by a home viewer and posted illegally.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: