Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A different perspective  (Read 3050 times)
dbbii

« on: April 26, 2010, 11:11AM »

On my way back from the West Palm show, a job crisis required me to divert to Orlando.  After crisis resolved, I was too tired to drive home, so decided to grab a hotel room for the night.   While deciding what to do for dinner, I remembered that CW was at the O-rena that night.  Who needs dinner!  Wonder what my chances of getting a ticket are?  Only one way to find out!

The O-rena (short for Orlando Arena – I used to live in Orlando) is your typical sports arena.  They end up using one end of the arena and put chairs out on the floor.  Amazingly, I ended up with a seat about half way up the first level of fixed seats, on the center aisle. 

Like a lot of people here, I am spoiled.  If I can’t get a really good seat (1st couple of rows), I probably won’t spend the $$$ to travel to see the shows.   I only went to WPB since CWFan2 was selling his front row tickets.  This was my first opportunity to see the show from a distance.  You get a different perspective.  I was able to sit back and mostly enjoy the music.

Some comments –

I was impressed with the lighting design/lighting effects.  From a distance, you can really see how the lights enhance the show.  I never really caught on to the “smoke” in the show until I saw how it worked with the spotlights.  While we all watch the lights switching between Ray and Nicky on Mo Ghile Mear, they used some similar effects on other songs.  To me, the lighting effects are one of the big differences between this show and, say IOH.

Sound – WOW.  I’ve been to shows from small theatres to RCMH to Red Rocks. Again, sitting away from the stage, you appreciate the overall sound much more.  I was not expecting this, especially in an arena show.  I was amazed at how clear and powerful the sound was.

Staging – As is typical for arenas, they hang a black curtain across the arena.  Thus, all you see is the stage.  At other venues, my eyes tend to wonder, especially if there are lights/reflections/etc on the sides of the stage.  With the lighting effects (think the “stars” during, say, When You Believe), it made the show totally different for me.  All you see is the stage.

Costumes.  One of the people sitting near me had never been to a CW concert before.  I kept getting questioned “which one is Huh” during the ensemble numbers.  From a distance (and OK, I probably need new glasses), I had trouble determining the “accent” colors on the second half dresses.  While yes, I knew who everyone was, you couldn’t just say “Lisa is in the green/blue/whatever dress”.   I thought they could have used some more color.

I had gone to the show in Orlando last year, and even thought I had a M&G, I was disappointed in the venue, and said I won’t come back.   (and that’s before this year’s parking issues).   What this taught me was if I go to another arena show, don’t sit near the front (and I never thought I would say that!)

The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 04:45PM »

Both times I saw them in RCMH I had more or less the same view. For the IOH show I was towards the middle of the first row of the 3rd mezzanine and for SFTH I was in the same seats except one row back.

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:04PM »

That's very interesting. I'm going to my first arena show next week in Ontario and I bought tickets through PBS so I'm pretty sure I'll be in the floor section. If things don't quite measure up (lighting, sound, etc.) I'll just conclude it's because of the section I'm in.

Thanks for the perspective, dbbii.
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 06:17PM »

In cleveland I was off to the right side of the theatre and in the front row!  Hene different venue then ioh and a lot better seats!  (very very high up and couldn't see a thing!) But being sooo close i was veerrryy pectrified of it being as loud as IOH and was very concerned! Even being high  it was really loud!  But the lady told me that it was a much milder show!  Shhe was right about the sound wise but pashaw w/ the show!  It was absolutely AMAZING! It was one of the best nights of my life!! Excedpt when they come back and I have the m&g's in my hands of course!  I had absolutely no problems w/ it being to loud were I might have to close my ears!  Even the rumble parts at the end and mo ghile mear!  which i thought I'd freak but the sound was behind us!  Plus I think Lisa thought it was funny and she was looking at me at that partic. point cause I wanted to sit down just in case and I was closing my eyes and squeezing my program just in case! Tongue  Did I need to NNNOOOO! I sang through the whole song and clapped and had a blast! and the lighting omg the lighting! I just saw some further back you tube videos and I was like daaannnggg!  I actually watched this live!  SSOOO coool! Prob. a lot neater than the Ioh lighting!  and the effect were sooooooo cooooll to!

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: