Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A simple one-sided conversation from my Irish studies.  (Read 10424 times)
AngusGibson

Ireland is calling me...

« on: May 05, 2010, 02:38AM »

I learned today what a fascinating language Irish can be, how when you understand the rules of pronunciation and with enough practice, Irish can roll gently off the tongue like a babbling brook. Here is something I wrote in my exasperation from lack of sleep and food due to final exam studies.

Irish:
Gabh mo leithscéal! Tráthnóna maith agat. An féidir leat cuidiú liom? Conas a bhaintear an ostán amach? Go raibh maith agat. Ocras a bheith ar dhuine...Tá brón orm. Conas a bhaintear an bhialann amach? Go raibh maith agat agus maidin mhaith agat.

Pronunciation:
Gav mo lay-shkale! Trah-noh-nah mah ahgat. Ahn fay-dear lat kweedyu lome? Kah-nass a vwine-ter ahn oh-stahn amahk? Go rav mah ahgat. Ahcras ah vayh are dween...Tah brone orim. Kah-nass a vwine-ter ahn vee-alun amahk? Go rav mah ahgat ah-goose my-deen wah ahgat.

English:
Excuse me! Good evening. Can you help me? How do you get to the hotel? Thank you. Hungry...I'm sorry. How do you get to the restaurant? Thank you and good morning.

I intentionally used good evening at first and then good morning at the end to signify that I've been studying during the cross over from yesterday to today.

Thanks Lisaholic nr1!

Thanks Guardian of the Rose!
Godshorsegirl
Bodhrán Player

My fiddle is tuned for playing!

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 10:02AM »

ooohh very cool! thank ya!!!  Cheesy

mommagillespie3

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:57AM »

Irish is such a neat language! 
celticartzyangel
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 11:12AM »

My friends think I'm officially nuts... I brought my Irish notebook to school and drew little Chibis and we had conversations in Irish... what can I say? I was bored!  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: