Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5/7/10 ~ Unforgettable. Indescribable. Beautiful.  (Read 21826 times)
when_rain_falls
Bodhrán Player

5/7/10 ~ When You Believe!

« on: May 09, 2010, 09:55AM »

Celtic Woman: Songs from the Heart ~ Review

San Diego, CA
Civic Theater ~ May 7th, 2010

Hi, everyone! Little ol’ Rain here, back from the long trip to San Diego!

Whew, where do I start?

~~~~~Getting There~~~~~

Hmmmm…how about, when I got a call from my aunt on the day of the show. “Sorry, but the car broke down.” I think I was allowed to freak out quite a bit! My mom told me I was overreacting, which, I suppose I was, since it was only 1 P.M. and the concert didn’t begin until 8 P.M. My aunt told me that everything was alright, and after that, all I heard from her was a babble. Something about the battery, they were going to get it fixed, yadda-yadda-yadda…I didn’t care. I just started to think that the universe was going to play some sort of sick joke on me that day and keep me from the best night of my life.

But, no! I wasn’t going to let this little mishap crush my spirits! I was GOING to San Diego, even if I had to walk there myself!

Two painfully long hours pass, and my aunt calls again, “I’m five minutes away, make sure you and Angelica are ready!” I tell my younger sister to get the suitcase we packed the night before, and I grab my purse. Packed in the suitcase was my IOH program from Long Beach and I had bought a little birthday card for Lisa about week before the show. I was hoping to give it to the twins (Katharine and Kristine) so they could pass it on to Lisa, or whoever was there at the M&G. Also, I had my two fiddler crossing signs (printed on good ol’ fashioned paper, not the fancy-smanshy ones all you Máiréad forum folks have! Wink ) In my purse, I had my SFTH and Tinkerbell: The Lost Treasure DVDs that I planned on watching with Angelica after the show on her portable DVD player.

So, for those of you who DIDN’T know how I came across my tickets to San Diego, it was all due to my AMAZING Auntie Crystal. This night would not have been possible without her, and I really hope I got my gratitude across to her from the minute we left, to the moment we arrived back home. Buuuuut….I ALSO didn’t even know where my seats were until about HALFWAY into the long trip! After we picked up my uncle and Lamb-chop (Their miniature Spaniard poodle who would be riding along with us) we were finally on our way.

The ride was nerve-wracking, if you want it in a nutshell. After about two and a half hours, and five wrong turns later, we found our hotel, the Hilton. GORGEOUS bayside rooms, and all throughout the day, I couldn’t believe we’d driven all the way to San Diego!

I was checking my phone every two seconds. It was already around 6:30 P.M. when we checked into our rooms, and we hadn’t even gotten the chance to sit down to eat yet!

Eventually, we finished dinner at this nice little place called the Fox Sports Grill. 7:00 P.M. I was afraid I wouldn’t make it, since we still needed to figure out how to find the actual theater. And downtown San Diego, my friends, is NOT a pretty sight in the evening. Ugh.

Skipping the drama, my uncle dropped us off in front of the venue. I could clearly see the merchandise table, set out with all the cool new stuff! I picked out Rachel and Caitlin from the crowd and called over to them. We hugged and talked for about a minute, until I finally bought two T-shirts for myself and Angelica and a Songs From the Heart program. 7:45 P.M. Fifteen minutes. Promising that we would catch up later inside, Rachel and Caitlin separated from us. Since my aunt hadn’t bought any tickets, it was time for her to let us go in. After swearing that I wouldn’t let my sister out of my sight, she finally waved us off.

I pulled out the tickets from my purse and showed them to staff. “Row M. Kay, you’ll guys will see a row marked ‘M’ and that’s where you’re sitting.” We found our row. Practically the same seats we got from Long Beach (center row of the orchestra section), which weren’t all that bad, but I could tell Angelica was disappointed (and trust me, I was, too!) that we hadn’t gotten up at least a little closer. Oh well, I thought to myself, I’m still here, and all that counts right now is that we have a good time!

It was just that…and more. So much more than I could ever possibly have imagined.

We still had about ten minutes to waste before the lights dimmed. Angelica and I walk up to the front of the orchestra section, where we know all the ForumFest people are! After shaking hands with everyone, I see a Fiddler Crossing Jacket, “Oh my God! Who’s is that?!“ I couldn’t help but point and go “I LOVE IT!“ (I totally wanted one of my own right then!) I’m introduced to the owner of the jacket, tink, and it was very nice to meet you!

Then, I see Katharine and Kristine, and I couldn’t believe it! They were HERE! The TWINS! Two of the greatest friends ever, no less than a few steps in front of me!!! THIS IS SO COOL!

So we hug and chat a bit! Hayley and Miranda (YoungTwins) were sitting right next to Kath and Kris, and we say hi and hug as well. (A pair of twins, not exactly something you see every day!) It’s all a blur, but I remember Hayley and Miranda suddenly asking me where our seats were. “Practically same place I got last time. Row M. Middle orchestra.” I shrugged, still smiling. “Oh, we have two extra tickets for row J.”  “Is that….closer?” (Like I don’t know my alphabet! Haha! I felt so stupid!) “Yeah!” I thank them and they hand me the tickets, making the first half of the show even more spectacular than I was hoping for it to be! Thanks so much, you two!

A few minutes before I was going to head back to our (NEW!) proper seats, I faintly hear the name “Lisa.” and it all rushes back to me. I look at Angelica, “Oh my God. No. No!” I forgot her birthday card! And then….birthday card is with IOH program. IOH program in suitcase. Suitcase at hotel. FIDDLER CROSSING SIGNS in SUITCASE. Gah!!!! I wanted to slap myself. I was really bummed because of that, but tried not to let it dampen my spirits too much. I was still here to have a great time. The twins gave me their extra two seats, which were closer than our original. Awesome. This show is going to be unforgettable!

David’s voice comes over the speakers. Five minutes to go. I quickly tell the twins and all the other ForumFest people goodbye and that we’ll see each other at intermission!

Angelica and I rush back to our new seats. Awesome! This was totally better than what we had before! About a full five rows closer to the stage! No need for binoculars this night!

Suddenly, I overhear three people behind me chatting about “One of the girls. Isn’t she about eighteen or nineteen or something?” They’re talking about Chloe. My natural CW instincts kick in and I turn around, seeing them point at one of the girls, “Oh, that’s Chloe. Yeah, she’s twenty.” From there on, I had a nice little conversation with the three people, and I even passed on to them that it was Lisa’s birthday! When asked who Lisa was, I gladly pointed her out on their program. Soon enough, “Who’s this? Who’s that?” And I named all the girls as I pointed at each one, not bothering to even look at who was who because I had the order memorized!

Then….the show was starting! I quickly turn back around in my seats, satisfied with the CW love I was able to spread, and the lights dimmed.

Now, I’m the kind of person who doesn’t really mind spoilers all that much. I knew what the intro would be like. Candles. Nil Se’n La, only with a slow intro. I was wondering how it would all look while it happened right in front of me!

Heeeeeeeeere we go!

~~~~~End, Getting There~~~~~

I met Chloë and Lynn on May 7th, 2010!!! Grin Grin Grin   

Broadway Baby
Honorary Roadie

Sometime I think, I glimpse eternity <3

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 10:03AM »

Oh my gosh!!!!! This all sounds like SOOO much fun!!!!!!! I would've DIED if I were there! I can't wait to hear the rest! Tongue

Lindsey<3

LISA KELLY=<3
My fearsome five and forum family, thank you for everything!!
Guardian of the Rose
Bodhrán Player

Let the dream come true SOMEDAY

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 10:08AM »

Sounds like an adventure!!! Cheesy

I know...my signature is just...awesome! Smiley
when_rain_falls
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 10:50AM »

(Oops! Accidentally posted the intermission in all my excitement! Sorry for the confusion!)

~~~~~Part One: First Half~~~~~

The harmonies? Enchanting. The girls? Beautiful. The transition from slow intro to fast and upbeat? AMAZING!

And it was all really, really, really loud. Cheesy Seriously! I could feel the floor underneath my feet shaking when Nicky and Ray beat their drums! The music just wrapped around me like a blanket, encasing me from every angle, and I loved every second of it.

It’s a little sad, but I couldn’t remember much of the first half, other than tearing up a little while singing along. There were a few songs that I remember clearly…

(In no particular order)

My Heart Was Home Again.

Alex…Wow. WOW.  WOW! (Well, there’s that! Haha!) This will be recorded as a single release, right? Right?! I only heard it once, but I soaked in every lyric I could, and tried to make sure that I would never lose the tune (so I could at least hum it to myself!) I thought True Colors and You’ll Be in My Heart showed off Alex’s voice….Boy, was I proved wrong! “Home Again” showcases her theater talent in so many ways. Her voice just tells a story, digging deep down into the audience with emotion. Brilliant work, Alex. Thank you so much.

Orinoco Flow! YES! Again, I already knew that they would be keeping this song…and I was really anxious to hear the thunder/lightning intro!! I actually jumped in my seat! The girls jumped right into this song and I had a blast singing along!

There was one point, I think it was Mo Ghile Mear, when Nicky and Ray were doing their little drum battle. Nicky was beating with his drum sticks, but then next he had to beat them with his hands. He looked at his drum sticks, shrugged, at tossed them behind him like they were nothing! I don’t know why, but I found that really funny, and so did a few other people who saw that!

Of course, Máiréad’s brilliant solos! CoG and Granuaile’s Dance! During both, I was among the other few people in the audience who would yell out to her, “Yaow!” I love how she would reply with one of her own little yips, but I wasn’t even quite sure she could hear everyone! The music was really loud, so maybe it was just lucky timing! *shrugs* 

Naturally, Chloë, Lisa, and Lynn were as beautiful as they’ve always sounded. Lisa really wow-ed me with Fields of Gold, a song that I’ve come to love so much! Chloë and Lynn as well, with their own respective solos! My Lagan Love was absolutely enchanting, and when I closed my eyes, I felt so…at peace. Galway Bay is what I call my “chill” song, because I get chills EVERY time I hear this! Gorgeous! But Chloë and Lynn were especially cherished for me that night because, well, read on…

Suddenly, it’s as if that first half flew by within minutes. Was it really already time for intermission? Apparently so.

~~~End, Part One: First Half~~~~~
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:58AM by when_rain_falls » Logged

Iluvcelticwoman
Featured Soloist

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 10:54AM »

love it so far!!!!!!

when_rain_falls
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 11:39AM »

Okay guys, from here on out...please make sure you aren't easily emotionally moved, or you have a box of Kleenex with you! Everything skyrockets for me from here on out!

~~~~~Intermission: Everything Changes. Completely.~~~~~

The lights come back up, and Angelica and I beat the crowds to the restrooms! We were the first ones in! HA! (If you’ve read my Long Beach review, you knew the nightmare I experienced during  intermission!) It was such a relief being able to go back to everyone else and have the chance to talk!

All of a sudden I hear, “Michaela! There are two extra empty seats in front row! Right next to us!” (<<Caitlin and Rachel) I turn around. Who said that?! Were they talking to ME!? Wasn’t sure if it was Rachel or Caitlin who had told me, but there were the two aforementioned seats. Right there. Four feet from the stage.

Oh. My. God.

My mind went BLISSFULLY blank. My whole thought process was basically What. What? WHAT?! And I gestured at the TINY four-foot space between my soon-to-be-seats and the stage, "Th-this close?" Everyone's nodding and going, "YEAH!" I thought I was going to pass out!! I look at Angelica, who is totally smiling and in shock and everything! There was hugging (of course! Everyone who knows me knows that I love to give hugs!)

So, I run back, in a total daze, to our previous seats to get all our stuff... Purse, Songs from the Heart program, jackets, and everything else. Racing back, I forgot which seats were mine, and I ask Rachel, “Wait…where am I sitting again?“ Like I still couldn’t believe it! I had to ask them at least twice more (thanks for putting up with that, guys!) before I finally sat down with my sister in the FIRST row, DEAD CENTER SEATS. I was, and I still am, absolutely speechless. I’ve gone from good, to better, to best. I think the rest of the intermission I spent just staring at how close the stage really was. I could practically lean forward while reaching out my hand and be able to touch the edge! I feel my little sister grab my hand and I look at her. “Angelica, we are in front row.“ She nods, her eyes are full of excitement, “It’s really close!“ She says. Nothing in the world could have possibly made that night better for me…

…Apparently, God had other plans! Cheesy

The first mark starting the rest of an INDESCRIBABLE experience…was about RIGHT before the end of intermission was announced. I looked up at the stage, and saw Nicky and Ray readying their drum sets. Ray was facing the general direction of the audience. So what do I do? I stick my hand up in the air and call him, “Hi, Ray!” He looks up, sees me and flashes a grin before waving back at me and Angelica ( who was also waving )  until the lights dim again! I giggled and whispered to Angelica, “I said hi to Ray!

~~~~~End, Intermission: Everything Changes. Completely.~~~~~

barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 12:00PM »

aaaahhh!  I want to hear more!  That sounds like you guys had a blast!  omg!  And I want to know how your front row experience was??!!!  Isn't fun w/ the floor shaking underneath you! and Lets just say Ray loooves coming in the audience or just plain saying high to everyone!  we were right by the steps and he stepped off the stage for a second 1/2 inch from us and my friends like what? and I was like hey Ray!! And he smiled and waved!! Ahhh I want to hear more! awesome so far!

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
lisalover7 (LL7)
Bodhrán Player

"I begged and I begged and I begged and I begged"

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 12:18PM »

geez Rain! you beat me to it! can't wait to read all of it Cheesy

Let Me Tell You That I Love You...
when_rain_falls
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 12:24PM »

~~~~~Part One of Two: Tears, tears, and more tears!~~~~~

So as the music starts (The Call? I don’t know. It was all a pleasant blur to me!) I lean over to my sister again and whisper, “Every time they look at you, squeeze my hand, and I’ll do the same!” She nods, “Okay!”

Our hands came out of that venue raw and cramping!

Máiréad steps out onto the stage, and I get a little excited. It’s her. It’s really her. No less than four feet in front of me! I kept blinking, still trying to grasp this completely foreign concept of front row seats.

Front row seats that I was currently sitting in.

So there’s Máiréad, I think she was playing the intro for The Call, but I can’t be sure, I was still so much in shock and awe. I can feel my heart trying to pound its way out of my chest, which seemed to have been made of jelly. I was melting. Anyways, I just experienced what it was like to have front row seats, and the fun emotional roller-coaster ride wasn’t even finished with me yet! Oh hoho, was I in for the time of my life! 

(Again, in no particular order)

Songs from the Heart!!!!!!! YES! I finally was able to hear this song in all its glory!! Alex’s and Lynn’s voices melted together so enchantingly. Same goes for Lisa and Chloë! You really see how close their special relationship is. They danced and twirled around the stage with each other in their exquisite dresses. When they all joined in together, I was in wonderland. Here I am, insignificant little me, sitting here mere feet in front of Celtic Woman. The group that has changed my life forever.

Chloë winked at me at the end of the song, and I gave her my biggest smile, which she reflected back at me. All in all, I was having the most spectacular, realistic night of my life.

Amazing Grace.  Oh my God…

So, usually, I’m not the type of person who would get really emotional over a song like this. I know, like, I differ from the other 98% of the population out there, LOL!

But then, I heard it live. Mind you, I’m still in shock mode, though I am singing along. Lisa and Chloë are nearer me, while Alex and Lynn are farther left. I could see every single detail, right down to the glistening of their eyes and the silkiness of their princess-like dresses.

I grabbed Rachel’s hand, not knowing what else I was supposed to do. I needed someone else to know what I was going through! This was unbelievable!

The one thing I could never possibly have been prepared for--Lisa looked at me. She looked RIGHT at ME while she was singing. While I was singing along with her. Now, this is going to sound REALLY cheesy, but in that moment, it was like I was singing Amazing Grace WITH her for those precious few verses. I was squeezing Angelica’s hand, and she was squeezing back, while I never took my eyes off of Lisa those tiny precious moments that seemed to have lasted forever. Lisa and I would just stare at each other while we sang. Wow. I knew I would cry eventually, and I did. A while later during the song, near the end, Lisa smiled at me again, and I smiled back, mouthing, “Hi, Lisa.” I can’t believe I just did that.

It wasn't like I was on stage singing with her or anything like that, but it sure felt like it! I couldn't stop crying. I just can’t put into words how beautiful it was! The audience sitting behind us left my mind completely. It was just Lisa and I in those special moments... If you want it summed up into three words, here you go: Unforgettable. Indescribable. Beautiful. 

Thank you, Lisa.

…God, I'm emotional! At the end of another song (I THINK it was after The Moon's A Harsh Mistress) and I mouthed, "Happy Birthday" to Lisa, she smiled and mouthed back a thank you! Angelica squeezed my hand when the girls exited the stage, and I looked at her and squeezed right back.

Another song that stuck out, the highlight of the night for me, was Chloë and When You Believe.

Chloë...

Wow, Chloë.

She is so breathtaking and amazing in every way possible. Time for When You Believe. I whispered to Rachel, "I'm gonna cry, okay? Just be ready for me to cry."

Well, I did.

[From my Long Beach Concert Review ~ 11/22/09]

When Chloë sang When You Believe, the memory of my grandad surprising me with the tickets for that fateful night flashed before my eyes. I began tearing up again.
~ Though hope is frail, but it’s hard to kill ~ Those lyrics, that moment of awesome recognition - Hope is what got me here - that tearful thought “I’m really here, this is really happening…” will be with me forever. This song means so much to me, and I just need to thank Chloë (if I ever have the highest honor to meet her!) for enhancing that moment with her beautiful vocals.

The thoughts going through my head had started all the way back at Long Beach, and I remember sitting all the way back in 16th row and crying. That night came back to me and I kept thinking to myself, But now I'm in front row!!!! How is this possible?! and just every lyric struck a chord with me, reducing me to a tearful mess. I was singing along, for the most part. Chloë kept looking and smiling at me, and it was only then could I actually compose myself and smile back (what else was I supposed to do?!!?) And...it was like, when I could manage to sing along, it was like we were singing to each other.

And every time she looked away I had a mini-panic-but-good-panic-attack, if you know what I mean! At the very end, the high note. By then, I couldn't even see clearly, and my hand was shaking in Rachel's! I had to look down at the stage, and my whole chest was just sort of shaking and trying to control my breathing.

From there on, all I remember was Rachel hugging me. Then, suddenly, I heard, "OH MY GOD, MICHAELA! LOOK!" and she pointed at Chloë, who, in front of the WHOLE AUDIENCE, came up as close as the stage would allow her near me. She bent down, looked right at me and flashed me this HUGE half-sympathetic, half-touched look. I was shocked. Just....completely..."WOW."-ed...I waved at her, still trying to wipe my face, and she giggled and then skipped off the stage. I hugged Rachel again, muttering, “Sorry, sorry, I’m crying!” and I squeeze Angelica’s hand, still not believing that this is happening.

Well, you know what they say…”There can be miracles, when you believe!”

I’m just going to take a real quick moment to acknowledge Lisa and Chloë. I see them, now, in a completely different perspective. Those two experiences with them were breathtaking and so real. Every time I think about it, I go “Wow. I was singing in real time with those two. Wow.” I honestly think I won’t be able to keep myself from tearing up whenever I listen to When You Believe, especially after that. It was just that powerful, UNFORGETTABLE.

Wow.

~~~~~End, Part One of Two: Tears, tears, and more tears!~~~~~

Iluvcelticwoman
Featured Soloist

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 12:30PM »

Yup you described that so perfectly.. just replaying that moment back in mind was unforgettable. All i remember was looking at you with tears down your face and then all the sudden chloe came up to and i lost it also!!!!! OMG amazing!!!!!!

Broadway Baby
Honorary Roadie

Sometime I think, I glimpse eternity <3

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 01:37PM »

WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, this sounds like the BEST NIGHT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SOOOOO JEALOUS!!!!! I'm SO glad you had such a great time!!!!!!! FRONT ROW like THAT?Huh WOW.

Lindsey<3

LISA KELLY=<3
My fearsome five and forum family, thank you for everything!!
Scott

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 02:19PM »

Great review! Smiley

Godshorsegirl
Bodhrán Player

My fiddle is tuned for playing!

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 02:39PM »

AAAAAAAAAAMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

celticartzyangel
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 04:47PM »

OMG... haha I was in tears for the Chloe bit... and the Lisa bit... and the WHOLE bit!!!  Cheesy That must of been SO amazing!!!
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 05:18PM »

Thats a cute review!  The girls make everyone feel like they know them personally!  I loved it from the start when chloe looked winked and gave me a big krinkle nose smile!  And I smiled big back at her to see if it was true and yup!  Just like she did for you!!  and Lisa at the end just jumping right in front of me and looking!  That was shocking and she really likes it when people sing mo ghile mear in her view!!  Wink  But amazing amazing review!  Sounds like you had a good time and congrats on the front row!  isn't it the best?  Nothing less from now on!

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: