Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deirdre and the start of CW  (Read 6721 times)
Maggie
« on: June 07, 2010, 12:32AM »

This starts off with Deirdre, then a clip of her singing "Time to say goodbye" with her brother Matthew,
then some fun clip of the CW ladies at the beginning of it all:

http://vtap.com/video/Deirdre+Shannon+Live/CL0219864803_1b9211eb0_V0lLSTcyODQ5NzB-aW46NH5xOmJyfmJ3OldJS0k3Mjg0OTcw
Iluvcelticwoman
Featured Soloist

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:34AM »

Maggie I love it!!!!!!

shankdee
Honorary Roadie

"We were all talking about you" said Lisa Kelly

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:40AM »

Cheesy Can't wait to get home to watch this...I hope deidre and matthew will cut a CD together.. C S

Thanks For my Beautiful Deirdre Banner...GodsHorseGirl* * *
Maggie
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 01:17AM »

Here is an old interview with Deirdre and Matthew:

http://www.celtic-tenors-fans.com/index.php?menuid=16&reporeid=219

You will notice in that interview, Meav's last name is written as "Mulcahy" which is the Anglicized spelling.

It is not pronounced Mull-Kay-hee as in the USA......the Irish pronounce it Mull-Ka-hee.

Palmie00

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 02:07AM »

Such a great voice! Never got to see her live with CW.

btimerson
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

Made it to ForumFest 2012 in Chicago!

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 05:35AM »

I got to see Deirdre sing with CW in July, 2005.  She was a perfect fit!  Oh, and get her CD so that you can listen as she and her brother perform a duet of "The Prayer".  Amazing.  Some other pretty good songs on that CD as well!  Wink   Grin

Brad T

greenfire6
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 09:34AM »

Thanks for the links Maggie. I'm holding on to the wish of someday (sigh) seeing Deirdre perform live.

I noticed in the Irish Sunday Independent interview they also spelled Méav- Maev.
lisaholic nr1
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 03:25AM »

Oh, wow! Cheesy
Maggie
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 05:07AM »

Thanks for the links Maggie. I'm holding on to the wish of someday (sigh) seeing Deirdre perform live.

I noticed in the Irish Sunday Independent interview they also spelled Méav- Maev.

The name has many variations. Meav, Maev, Maeve.....

With the fada on the é it is pronounced Meev.
Without a fada it is Mayve.

There are only 18 letters in the Irish alphabet, there is no J, K, Q, V, W, X, Y, Z.

In Irish, the v sound is made by combining m and h, so the name in the Irish language is Meabh.
Just to confuse you, it can also be Medb.

This name was made popular by Meabh, the warrior Queen of Connacht:

Back on topic, I hope you get to see Deirdre.

I looked on Amazon and it said her CD "Deirdre Shannon" is not currently available.

However, it is available for $15 on:
https://www.cdbaby.com/

Albertan

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 05:53PM »

Maggie,

I have to admit I am a bit confused on all this. The former CW singer spells her name Méav, so if I am understanding your post, her name should be pronounced "Meev". And yet she herself (in the Interview on the first DVD) clearly pronounces it "Mayve" -- just as if there were no fada. Am I missing something here? ( Wouldn't be the first time!!!  Huh Huh Huh)

Gordon
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 12:43PM »

Maggie,

I have to admit I am a bit confused on all this. The former CW singer spells her name Méav, so if I am understanding your post, her name should be pronounced "Meev". And yet she herself (in the Interview on the first DVD) clearly pronounces it "Mayve" -- just as if there were no fada. Am I missing something here? ( Wouldn't be the first time!!!  Huh Huh Huh)

Gordon
[/quote

I'm not entirely sure how a topic about Deirdre and her brother became one of how to pronounce Méav's name but please stay on topic.

aislin
LynnHilaryFan924
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 04:03PM »

Thanks for the links  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: