Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Voice  (Read 35132 times)
agategs

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 04:53AM »

I think it's God. When it says 'by my wounds you are healed'

Hello!

Not to be nit-picky, but the lyrics are "Bring me your peace and my wounds, they will heal".
The song's still open to interpretation, though Smiley

Hasta luego,
Kimberly

http://www.celticlyricscorner.net/
Thig crioch air an t-saoghal, ach mairidh ceol agus gaol.
The world will come to an end, but music and love will endure.
celtic_girlakp
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 08:07AM »

Here is what Lisa says about The Voice on her forum on December 8, 2006:

"You know, i'm sure when Brendan Graham wrote the song, he had a special meaning of some sort.  I first heard the song when it won the eurovision back in the late 90's and loved it.  It was quite a different arrangement of it but it's such a powerful and dynamic song that it's quite easy for me to sing, really. It's probably my favourite moment of the show.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Thanks again for your support
Lisax"

Kelli thanks for this but it does not say what she thinks the voice is. That is I think what we want to know.
btimerson
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

Made it to ForumFest 2012 in Chicago!

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 08:35AM »

I love how different people see different things in songs (and poetry, etc).  I think part of the beauty of it is that people are left to their own devices for interpretation.  Anyway you look at it, it's one powerful song!

I have to agree with Kelli (and most everyone else for that matter) in many respects. 

In several versions of the lyrics, the words, Voice, You, and I, etc. are capitalized.  Too me that has always meant showing respect for God.

“Listen my child!” You say to me
“I am the Voice of your history
Be not afraid - come follow Me
Answer my call and I'll set you free”

Plus,
Bring me your peace, bring me your peace
And my wounds they will heal

has been shown to be a reference to Isaiah 53:5....
"But He was wounded and bruised for our sins.  He was chastised that we might have peace; He was lashed - and we were healed."

No matter what you believe or what you think the song is talking about...

"The Voice" is one POWERFUL song and
I can't imagine anyone doing it justice like Lisa Kelly does!

Brad T

celtic_girlakp
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 08:42AM »

Brad you did that very well.
FireGuyFrank

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 10:43AM »

I feel it is one's inner voice.
Thistle
Total Fanatic

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 11:44PM »

I wish I knew who 1st pointed this out — credit where credit is due & all that stuff Wink — but I see the song has having to do with the Irish people & all of their turbulent history, with the Voice being the call to heal the wounds of the past & stride onward to a better future. Cool

"Listen, my child," you say to me;
"I am the voice of your history!"
celtic_girlakp
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 11:18AM »

I feel it is one's inner voice.

Wow a new idea. I like this one!
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 03:17PM »

"The Voice" is Mother Earth, or Mother Nature, if you prefer. 

Bring me your peace and my wounds, they will heal.

If mankind can achieve peace, the wounds we've inflicted on our home will eventually heal.  In my opinion, all the lyrics point to this interpretation.

I am the voice in the wind and the pouring rain.
I am the voice of your hunger and pain.
I am the voice that always is calling you.
I am the voice, I will remain.

The song speaks to the permanence of Nature, as opposed to the transience of man.

I am the voice of the past that will always be.

Native Americans call her Nakomis, "the grandmother," and say that "beneath the clouds lives the Earth-Mother from whom is derived the Water of Life, who at her bosom feeds plants, animals and men."

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 03:20PM »

I like that one Rich. 

Thanks Lindsey
celtic_girlakp
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 09:19AM »

Ditto that is cool!
KatieK
Choir Member

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 06:37PM »

I think it can be God or Mother Nature

jsharp

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 05:28AM »

According to someone supposedly referencing the book The Eurovision Song Contest: The Official History (How's that for qualifying remarks?):

"Lyrically, it is a very Celtic-inspired song, with the singer portraying herself as 'the voice' which watches over the world, describing 'her' effects on the natural world, such as the wind, the seasons, in a similar way to Mother Nature."

The song does seem to shift voices (no pun intended!) and that leads to all kinds of interpretive legerdemain, as well.

“You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” - Anne Lamott

Nero Angelo
Honorary Roadie

You will not forget this devil's power!

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 05:39AM »

Not to split hairs or anything, but doesn't Lisa say that she heard The Voice on the wind?

willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2007, 07:42AM »

According to someone supposedly referencing the book The Eurovision Song Contest: The Official History (How's that for qualifying remarks?):

"Lyrically, it is a very Celtic-inspired song, with the singer portraying herself as 'the voice' which watches over the world, describing 'her' effects on the natural world, such as the wind, the seasons, in a similar way to Mother Nature."

The song does seem to shift voices (no pun intended!) and that leads to all kinds of interpretive legerdemain, as well.

Not to split hairs or anything, but doesn't Lisa say that she heard The Voice on the wind?

Actually, you're both right!  At the beginning of the song, when Lisa is singing more softly and accapella, she is speaking as the person who hears the voice. "I hear your Voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name".

Then as the instruments come in, she is speaking as "The Voice". "I am the Voice in the wind and the pouring rain"...and speaks as the Voice throughout the rest of the song.

Now as to the identity of the Voice, well, as Tia Dalma in "POTC: Dead Man's Chest" put it, "Same story...different versions, and all are true."   Wink

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
jsharp

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2007, 09:24AM »

Actually, you're both right!  At the beginning of the song, when Lisa is singing more softly and accapella, she is speaking as the person who hears the voice. "I hear your Voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name".

Then as the instruments come in, she is speaking as "The Voice". "I am the Voice in the wind and the pouring rain"...and speaks as the Voice throughout the rest of the song.

Right. That's what I meant by changing "voices." There are two different people speaking. Or you could say the singer is quoting The Voice from that point on. Six of one...

“You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” - Anne Lamott

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: