Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange, fun, quirky things seen in Ireland  (Read 9386 times)
LISAFAN4EVER
Choir Member

Lisa's my hero!

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 06:07AM »

This is great stuff, Maggie. I love the Purple mountain majesty picture...very pretty. The Garda roadblock is too funny! Please keep sharing and thanks.

Maggie
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 09:31AM »

Most of you know I love Tipperary......I have to summon up all my willpower when it's time to leave.
But I love the wild mountains, lakes and bogs of Mayo too.....my Mother's home county. Forum members who know me well would tell you I inherited some of the wildness. Last year when my plane touched down, I had a strong urge to go to "Mammy's Country" (I am sure she was right there with me, steering the rental car, though she never drove in her life).
I went to see the little cottage where my grandparents, and their parents, raised fine healthy broods. Actually my great-grandparents were lucky to survive the famine into which they were born. Thank God for putting them on a lake and river full of fish and seaweed, and next to a bog full of peat for fuel. That's why you see me saying Grace before I eat.....I never take my next meal for granted.
There is for me such a spiritual feeling about those wild mountains near the NorthWest coast of Mayo, it is as if my ancestors have come to take me to Heaven. Anyhow I digress....
I drove to Belmullet, a sleepy little town surrounded by desolate landscape. I took the coast road to a little stretch of beach.
I felt like the Monks must have felt when they were looking for solitude and finally found it. I slept in the car, on the beach. In the morning I awoke refreshed, and walked barefoot along the strand. Then I drove into Belmullet looking for breakfast.
The most unexpected thing I saw there was this......an Internet Café! Shocked

Something else you would not expect to see in this wild landscape is a monument to 11 victims of the Titanic Disaster,
all from the Parish of Addergoole.
I am familiar with this area, and those 6 young men and 5 women set out for Cork with hope in their hearts, a new life ahead of them. They perished, but 3 women who set out with them were saved and settled in the USA.
Every year, on the Anniversary of the sinking, the Church Bell tolls for the 14 souls who are not forgotten.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:43AM by Maggie » Logged
dMs827LK
Bodhrán Player

I've met LisaK, Lynn, & Mairead!!! :D:D:D

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 09:44AM »

Something else you would not expect to see in this wild landscape is a monument to 11 victims of the Titanic Disaster,
all from the Parish of Addergoole.
I am familiar with this area, and those 6 young men and 5 women set out for Cork with hope in their hearts, a new life ahead of them. They perished, but 3 women who set out with them were saved and settled in the USA.
Every year, on the Anniversary of the sinking, the Church Bell tolls for the 14 souls who are not forgotten.

[/quote]

That's really really cool Maggie!!! Thanks for that info!! Cheesy <3 may they rest in peace!

I met LISA K. AND LYNN AND MAIREAD!!! ....yeah!!!! Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin
Ruth
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 11:01AM »

Maggie, thank you very much that you share these fascinating stories with us, I'm very touched.

Maggie
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 03:06AM »

Most of Ireland is rural, agricultural land, with lots of animals.
Please be careful when you encounter animals.....what looks like a good photo op might not be such a good idea.
Obviously you wouldn't want to get into a field with a bull, but you might not see him at first. The best rule is don't enter a field unless there is a public footpath through it. I've seen tourists take risks just to get a good photo.
Sheep and goats will sometimes come to you because they think you are there to feed them or take them to another pasture. Donkeys were once part of the scenery, used as a beast of burden to carry milk churns or a load of turf,
but there are not so many these days. They are usually sociable, and if you stop by their field they will come up.
Please don't feed them.....same with horses.

Dave and I have had this happen.....it looks funny, but this donkey is not in good shape. He is overweight
 (from all the handouts) and his front feet are deformed due to lack of care to his hooves.

Which one is the ass?
                                            I rest my case.....  Roll Eyes                            

Whole family on a shopping trip:           Got carrots?
                                                          Don't touch me without carrots!
   Yeah, lovin' retirement!    

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 04:00AM by Maggie » Logged
dMs827LK
Bodhrán Player

I've met LisaK, Lynn, & Mairead!!! :D:D:D

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 10:55AM »

Pahahahahaha! Maggie those made my morning!! (well afternoon technically! lol) Thank you!!!! Cheesy Grin

I met LISA K. AND LYNN AND MAIREAD!!! ....yeah!!!! Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: