Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review of Kasey Ireland Trip!!!!!  (Read 18359 times)
Antiup

« on: September 28, 2010, 04:49PM »

K- Hold on because my English is terrible but here we go. Couple of Pieces.

Let me start off by thanking some the people involved with the assistance of the planning of the trip of a lifetime. Joe and Cathy, Norma and Charlie, Susan, Kelli, Órlagh, and Maggie and everyone I may have left out because of the rush on this review. Without all of your suggestions and advice we could not have had such an awesome time.
AMAZING, everything from the food, people, scenery and adventures. I have been all over Europe (mainland) Australia, Middle East, 40 of the 50 US states and can honestly say that Ireland is the best country I have ever visited. Just simply AMAZING. You must put this country in your top 1 or 2 locations you have to see before you die. You would not believe how much energy each county is and different history each one holds. Being a History Major, this was such an amazing place to visit.

Hold on; grab a brew and some popcorn it’s going to be a rough ride.

Day 1- The Flight (13 Sep 10)
Nothing to cool to report here. Long flight from San Francisco to Dublin but we made it through with little trouble. We had one person who was suppose to come with us but flaked on us at the last minute. That person changed their mind, smartly by the way, made it over 2 days later. Lol.

Day 2- Dublin ( 14 Sep 10)
Arrived around 10am at the hotel and the room was ready. Which was awesome by the way. So we checked in and took powernaps. Lol. Woke up a little later than we wanted and headed out to the town. The hotel was right next to Trinity College so prime location. Went out and check out the College and Grafton St. Went thru Stephens Park and headed to the Famous Temple Bar Area.  Stopped and got Shot glasses at the Dublin Hard Rock but did not eat there. Heck were in Ireland time for some real food. Went to Temple Bar, (in Temple Bar lol) and had a Gunnies. First one of a billion in Ireland. SOOOOO Different. Must try and see the difference. Walked around a little more and got some food at pub. Asked about the night life and were on our way. Went to three different Pubs/Night clubs D2, Dandelion, and Cooker Jacks (something) lol. Madness and Awesomeness prevailed. Called it an early night at 1am so we can get a jump on the next morning.

Day 3- (15 Sep 10)
Today was a battle to get the rent-a-car from the airport. Fiasco is all I can say. But once that got squared away off we went to see Ole Ireland. Though heck might as well go north and See Newgrange and Knowth. Now driving was difficult at first and before and after every turned we all said “STAY LEFT” in order to get it right. Directions were tough at first but a piece of cake by the end of the adventure. Took the long way around to Newgrange but we made it. Saw both Newgrange and Knowth. I won’t go into details but I think Knowth is a little cooler than Newgrange. Than off to try and find our first B&B. Drove by Slane Castle but it was closes to a personnel event. There are no street signs in all of Ireland. If there is I call scheniagans. Lol.lol. But really, directions were tough but we made it to the B&B after some off roading. Stop at a B&B in Kilmeason(sp) Just South of Navan. A 1 Pub town that we gladly accepted the invitation to. Very quiet and only like 4-6 people in the pub watching a game on TV. Eric and I went to the back and shot some snooker and drank 40 pints before calling it an early night around 2am.

Day 4- (16 Sept 10)
Headed back into Dublin so we can see Orlagh’s Taping show at The Royal Hospital in Kilmeanjo(sp)  Once again, a little trouble finding the B&B but getting better. Took some showers and off to more site seeing. Went and saw St Patrick Cathedral, Christ Church, and Dublin Castle and stopped by Temple Bar area for a quick pint. We brought our dress up clothes with us so we would not miss the concert. Caught a cab to the Taping and watched the Show-
Small review of the Tapping- ( I heart you Kelli) Never been to one and let me tell you, my arms and hands were sore from all the clapping. So cool to see a live tapping though. Different. Got to see The Dubliners, Tommy Fleming, and one other singer/song writer name I forgot. Pretty cool. They all sung great and it was a great show. The Dubliners are funnier than heck. It went real fast. Only like 2 hours with little breaks in between and stuff. Pretty cool. Then the last song came on. I think I was the only one to give a standing ovation at first. Felt like I was up for like 20 seconds before some other people got up, than everyone followed. And yes, there was heck of WOOOOOOOOOO’s from me. Heard a great complement from an elderly lady behind me. She said “ Wow, I never heard of Orlagh Fallon before but she is good, very good.” As people were leaving the show some stopped by and told us to enjoy our stay and hope we have fun while in Ireland. I do not know how they knew we were from America but they just knew. After the Show we waited for a bit and meet the people sitting next to us. Little did we know, they knew Orlagh very well. Lol. lol. lol. A quick little meet and greet at the end of the show and off to the B&B. But First two pubs. We had far too much energy after the tapping so we went to “the Porterhouse” and Mcgowens. Porterhouse was quite so we went over Mcgowens. That place was cracking and Good times. Bed around 330am.

Day 5 (17 Apr 10)
Our find who flaked at first suddenly arrived that morning at the B&B and we headed South to Wicklow Mountains. We first stopped by Power Court as it was a must as a CW fan. Lol. Not to big into gardens and stuff but the history of the building was interesting. Thank off to Glendalough. Just Amazing and one of the highlights of the whole trip. (pretty much like the whole trip) So cool and peaceful with a river running through the whole spot. So much history and some of the grave stones dated way back. Also had my first and only 99’ the whole time there. To cool. The kids were out of school and convinced us to chocolate dip the 99’. Great idea. Off to a place called Rathum for the B&B. Once again a little bit out of the way but still a good time. Stopped early and had dinner at Bates and some pints and the Cartoon inn. Which was cool because the walls were covered in Cartoon art. Headed back to B&B for shower and ouot on the town. Real quite but had some Accordion Music in one of the Pubs (forgot name) and then they closed and we went to Jacobs Well. A cool pub with a couple of people in there. I was the DD so no pints tonight for me but that would be fixed the next night. Bed time at 2am.

Day 6- (18 Sept 10)
Late wake up and start but we did not want to miss the Tinahely show so we headed straight there. The village was pretty small and a little tricky to figure out but we made it early. Stopped at the Pub called Black Toms. Talked to some cool people in there. Scary part was that Maggie knew the person I talked to before I even made it back to the B&B. Scary but awesome. Than off to Murphy’s for a pint and dinner. Had to find a B&B because the ones close to the venue was booked. Awesome place outside of Tinahely. ***Nice people in Ireland spot. The person that was running the B&B was so nice. We were deciding on who was going to be the DD and she said I will drop you off in town and you can cab back? What? Awesome, solves that issue*** So many more of those stories. Than Off to the Show
Tinahely review- Small venue. I think me and Eric only counted like 120 seats, which all were full. Nicest people in the world. I had a feeling that they knew we were coming. First class all the way. Front row center seats (I heart You MAGGIE) great show with a small intermission. I ran into Mary and her friend briefly before the show and we chatted a bit. The guy next me rocked and we sung a couple of songs together. Lol. lol. But I was terrible but he was forewarned. Lol. After the show a Meet and Greet and off to Black Toms for some nightclub life which was promised to be full of craziness and adventures. It lived up to the promise and I do not remember how I got home but I know I was smiling all the way.
Antiup

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 04:50PM »

Day 7 (19 Sep 10)
Off to Kilkenny. The B&B lady had to get us out by 10am because of some people coming in. no biggie but we were a little groggy and made our way to Kilkenny. By now we were professionals on the roads and found all the remaining B&B’s with little difficulties. Plus GPS finally started working. Got to the Kilkenny Castle and walked around and Watch the GAA Championship Game in Krystles Inn off the strip. A lot of people in there routings for Cork. Great Game as Cork looked defeated in the beginning but held strong to defeat the other guys. After the game went back to the B&B for a quick nap and regrouped. Nightlife in Kilkenny was Nutz. First Pub Langdons.(sp) was nutz. Heck of people in there as there was an All irish group in there rocking out. Reminded me off a metal concert a bit. Lol. They closed at 1230 so we went to a pub called Morrision. Partied till like 330am. Nutz. But what happens in Ireland stays in Ireland though. Lol. Late night.

Day 8 (20 Sep 10) (Disaster)
We went the long way to Cork via Waterford. Had to pick up mom some crystals stuff. I was told I had to and so was Eric. Did a quick trip there and did some shopping and headed to Cork. Waterford was not to bad and map was easy to navigate. Stopped at o’neils for some Lunch. Bomb Irish Stew by the way.
Now the Bad news- Check into Cork early enough for a shower and a quick bite before madness. While at dinner I had a terrible food reaction to a Caesar salad. So bad I had to call an ambulance and be taken to the ER. Broke out in hives and rashes and everything. Bad times. Not Bueno. Got a shot in the butt and nebulized. Lol. The worst part was that Cork-the team that won the championship had an additional 60-70000 people in town for the Championship Parade. TOTAL FAIL!!!!! I really hated myself for that one. Nothing I can do and everything is fine now but WTF!!!!!!. Out of the ER at 5am. Yea Real long night.

Day 9 (21 Sept 10)
Got a quick powernap and off to Barney Castle to kiss the stone. Good times. Found it pretty easily and got pics of me kissing the stone. Like you really need me to be able to talk any more. Lol. good times. Than off to Jameson Distillery were I am an honored and certified whisky taster. If they ask for volunteers do it. You get 3 shots and a small glass of Jameson. After feeling good after the taste test we went and got some much needed food. Off to Kilarney. We staged their expecting a quick trip around the Ring of Kerry and then chill night but we did not get it. lol. we got in a little late so had to wait for the trip to the Rings. After a shower and off for some food we found out there was going to be an Irish band playing Irish Tunes at Danny Mann. This pub came highly recommended so we said what the heck. Stayed there till 11pm and was told there is a party at The Grand. Another Pub around the corner. A band was playing and there was a night club in the back. Ended up there till like 2am. Lol. So much for an early night. Lol. Coming out I accidently went out the Fire exit. Lol. lol. lol. GOOD TIMES!!!!

Day 10 (22 Sept 10)
Early start again and off to drive the Ring of Kerry. Lucky for me it was not my turn to drive so I got to sit in the back of the car and enjoy the ride. (Sorry Eric) Awesome place. Highly recommend this one.  The drive was not that bad and there were some close ones but nothing that patients and slow driving won’t fix. After we drove that one we went up to Dingle. We were told we had to see Fungi the amazing dolphin. So we took their advise and went out on the boat and checked him out. Seeing Fungi was cool but the view from the boat was more amazing. We had a couple of kids going nuts over seeing Fungi so we sat back and let the kids enjoy it. The scenery was breath taking. Another must stop. We had to get back on the road and I wished we would have stayed in Dingle that night but had to keep moving. We drove to Adare. Which is the smallest and cutest village in Dublin I think that is how it went. We walked around a little bit and grab a bite and crashed hard. No parting or pubs, just sleep. Which was much needed at the pace we were going.

Day 11 ( 23 Sept 10)
 Limerick was up next early in the morning. Wanted to do the castle but I promised Crystal that we would do tattoo’s. So we found a spot and got some tattoos. Took a little bit and as we were getting inked we walked around a little bit in Limerick and saw some sites. While debating on where we were going to stay we found a place in the middle of the way back to Dublin. I promised locals I will not tell anyone where this is but let me tell you. One of the highlights of the whole trip. The location TOP SECRET and don’t even bother asking me was crazy. By chance we stopped at this B&B in this town and wanted to toast Arthur. For those who don’t know Arthur is no other than Arthur Gunnies. There was there huge ceremony to Toast to him at 1759 on 23 Sept 10. I got a video that I will put on Facebook. Lol. But anyways while in this pub we ran into the coolest people on the planet. They asked us if we wanted to go somewhere Irish and were only Irish people will be. We said Heck yes and was told to meet them in the town at a certain time and location. Seemed legate. We met up with them and they took us to some small village in a house in the middle of nowhere. We got there early and more and more people started arriving. There was a pub in this place as well in the back. Once the house was full singing and music playing started and it felt like I was in a time warp. The friends we met told us don’t worry you don’t have to sing or play and instrument just hang out and enjoy your night. AMAZING AND ONE OF THE BEST NIGHTS OF MY LIFE. (and I have had some amazing times in my life. ) The best part was watching the people singing and playing. They all seemed so happy and content. I could not describe it in words but the calm and peace in there rocked!!!!!! Just amazing night.

Day 12 (24 Sep 10)
We were staying near a castle and went exploring it a bit and started to head back into Dublin for the weekend. We stopped in a city and had lunch with some great friends we have met along our adventures. We talked about everything and anything and it was a great time and recap of all the things we did and friends we made. I cannot believe all the things we done and saw. It’s like a dream. Just amazing. After a great lunch we went off to Dublin. We could not find a B&B close in Dublin so we stayed on the outskirts a bit. Eric was ready to rock and roll but Crystal and I stayed asleep for the night and chilled in the B&B. We were pooped again and Crystal was getting over a small cold. We had to prep for a mad Saturday night and the last night in Dublin and boy was it.

Day 13 (25 Sept 10)
Woke up and had an amazing breakfast and off to the Hop-on/Hop off bus tour of Dublin. We waited to do this until Crystal joined our group. The main focus was the Gunniess Brewery. Which was amazing and now I am certified to poor the perfect pint by the way. Lol. Bought a lot of souvenirs here and chilled and caught the rest of the tour. Back to the hotel to refresh and GAME ON!!! Partied like a rockstar all night long till like 4am and after a small bite in the morning went to sleep at 5am and had a 11am flight. Yucky but hey we made it.

Day 14 ( 26 Sep 10)
After a quick recap and a taxi ride we found ourselves in the airport. It was truly the sadest day in my life. Well close but I did not want to go home. Lol. it was the greatest vacation I have ever had. Just amazing. I am crying right now, well maybe not crying but sad. Lol.

Places we missed-Galway Bay, Dongel, Belfast, All Northern Ireland
Places we will revisit- Glendalough, Ring of Kerry, TOP SECRET location, and Cork (LOL)
Do Not get the B&B package deals. They are not the best deals out there and actually we paid more for the deal than we would have if we would have paid separate. Side note: You have to be good with your money and ensure you do not spend all your funds that you have on pints so you have enough for sleeping.
Getting directions from the Irish- I will let you figure this one out. One of the greatest adventures out there.
If you want to get lost in Ireland, which is not a bad thing, give Eric the map.
If you want to see some Hedges and Rocks drive with Crystal. You will see some pretty close up.

There is so much more that happened but this is just a rough draft of adventures. Thank you can hang with me on a road trip?
Now that I wrote 5 pages of madness and the brew and popcorn is gone I will say good bye and give you my favorite toast:
“Till the next adventure”

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 05:23PM »

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Amazing review, Kasey!!!! Hahahahahaha it was hilarious and awesome to read. I'm so jealous right now. It sounds like it was just one adventure after another (including the shot in the butt in Cork LOL....that kinda sucked).

And I have to agree.....BEST. COUNTRY. EVER.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
btimerson
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

Made it to ForumFest 2012 in Chicago!

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 05:48PM »

GREAT stuff, Kasey.  Heck, I had to take a break and a vitamin about halfway through you had so much going on!  Wink  I don't think I could do as much in a month as you did on your trip.  Thanks so much for sharing your adventure with everyone.

Brad

jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 07:52PM »

WOOHOOO...Kasey it sounds wonderful! So glad that you had such a great time and thank you for sharing it with us. Smiley
Rosie Allen
Total Fanatic

"You tell 'em Lise!"

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 09:14PM »

Ahhh, Kasey, Laddie!!!!  What a memorable time you all had!  I was actually holding my
breath throughout the review.  In fact I feel a wee bit hung over from all the pub jogging
and pints!   Grin  Don't know if I could navigate the roads there as well as you.  I think, like
Chrystal...I would end up in a hedge!  Thanks for sharing your adventures...sorry about the
shot in the bum but glad you pulled through...even that became an adventure!  You are
literally too much!   Cheesy  See you soon! 

Maggie
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 12:19AM »

Phew! Kasey - after reading your review I had a massive hangover and had to sleep it off!!!

Great job though....I think we all got the message that you kind of enjoyed your first visit to Ireland.
Regarding your travel reservations.....yes, you can usually get a better deal doing it yourself,
especially if you don't want to plan ahead, just book at random.  There are so many good B&Bs and Hostels
 that are not on the list of:  http://www.discoverireland.com/int/  
If there are 3 or 4 friends together, you can get some really good deals in Hostels, or renting a cottage or apartment.

Yes I did call ahead to a friend in Tinahely, and they did know you were coming. I wanted you to feel welcome.

I think I can tell you that while in Kilkenny, Kasey and friends were in the custody of the Garda Siochána (Police).
In the nicest possible way.

We had to get back on the road and I wished we would have stayed in Dingle that night but had to keep moving. We drove to Adare. Which is the smallest and cutest village in Dublin I think that is how it went.

I don't think Kasey will mind if I make a small correction here, just in case you want to do the "Kasey Tour".
Adare is not in Dublin.....it is in the County of Limerick, 120 miles from Dublin.

I promised locals I will not tell anyone where this is but let me tell you. One of the highlights of the whole trip. The location TOP SECRET and don’t even bother asking me was crazy.......anyways while in this pub we ran into the coolest people on the planet. They asked us if we wanted to go somewhere Irish and were only Irish people will be...... We met up with them and they took us to some small village in a house in the middle of nowhere. We got there early and more and more people started arriving. There was a pub in this place as well in the back. Once the house was full singing and music playing started and it felt like I was in a time warp.

That's because you were in a time warp.
The "locals" had taken on human form, but were actually Tipperary Faeries.....they captured you and took you
inside the Faerie fort, into their heartland.
That's why you were sworn to secrecy.
Wasn't the Guinness the best you ever tasted? Didn't you feel completely at home? Weren't the musicians and singers the best? Especially that little fairy fiddler, who also rocks on the banjo!
Did they not magically start and stop each tune together without any signal between them?

That was no coincidence!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Oh....and they are watching your back until they see you again.....

The friends we met told us don’t worry you don’t have to sing or play and instrument just hang out and enjoy your night. AMAZING AND ONE OF THE BEST NIGHTS OF MY LIFE. (and I have had some amazing times in my life. ) The best part was watching the people singing and playing. They all seemed so happy and content. I could not describe it in words but the calm and peace in there rocked!!!!!! Just amazing night.

Yes yes yes.....those Tipperary Faeries are fantastic!
Let me guess.....the journey up there seemed magical in itself....
....you would never be able to find that "time warp" house again. Isn't that so, Kasey? Wink Wink Wink

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:27AM by Maggie » Logged
cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 06:45AM »

Great review, Kasey!!!   It sounds like you have hydrated yourself well enough for your stay in the Sandbox!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Roll Eyes  I would have been exhausted on your first day!!   It seems a fun loving bunch from the U.S.A. met a fun loving bunch from Ireland-- what else could possibly occur other than a wonderful trip and TONs of fun!!  Can hardly wait to talk to you in KC and learn more about this adventure!!!!  See ya soon!!

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 06:59AM »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

LOL!! Kasey, I loved the review. You are such a great guy and I am so happy that you had the memorable time that you did.

One question - is there any pub you didn't hit?!  Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin Grin Grin

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Antiup

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 09:45AM »

@ Maggie- A Billion thanks.  Wink Wink Wink
@ Zee- I am sure we missed a couple of Pubs but man we tried to get them all in, and with site seeing. lol.  Grin
@ Rosie- Thats how I roll.  Grin

See you all soon in KC!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next adventure right around the corner.
Mariko
Honorary Roadie

Lisa Kelly ^_^

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 02:13PM »

Nice job on the review Kasey, it was great to read!! I hope you mind, but I like Maggie's adjustments as well. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!! Smiley

Thanks Evi & Alexa for my amazing banners!! Kiss
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 03:41PM »

That's because you were in a time warp.
The "locals" had taken on human form, but were actually Tipperary Faeries.....they captured you and took you
inside the Faerie fort, into their heartland.
That's why you were sworn to secrecy.
Wasn't the Guinness the best you ever tasted? Didn't you feel completely at home? Weren't the musicians and singers the best? Especially that little fairy fiddler, who also rocks on the banjo!
Did they not magically start and stop each tune together without any signal between them?

Oooohhh, the top secret location sounds really wonderful!!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
bpea55

Orlagh, So happy for you, Mom to be! WOO HOO!!!

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 04:45PM »

Kasey!!!!! Sounds like you had a great time...sorry to hear of the shot!
It brings back so many great memories of Ireland, I wish I was there to just observe you guys having a ball.
And sooooooooooooooooooooo Glad you got to see Orlagh, especially on her home turf..that is just the coolest!
I'm surprised Maggie didn't warn you about those faeries! Wink
I felt like my whole time in Ireland was a time warp!
Such a wonderful place, and the people make it so....nothing like it anywhere.
BTW..what was the Tatoo....a Harp? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Bruce

"While we seek Myrth and Beauty and Music light and gay, there are frail forms waiting at the door.....though their voices are silent, their pleading lips will say,
"Oh, Hard times, come again no more..."
Thanks so much Orlagh!
I will always remember...
Antiup

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 05:14PM »

Total side note here sorry,
But if you want to buy souvenirs do it at the airport. SOOOOOOOOO MUCH Cheaper. forgot to add that one sorry.
Maggie
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 06:21PM »

I'm surprised Maggie didn't warn you about those faeries! Wink

Oh I did.....but he went anyway.
They must have taken a liking to him.....

I don't even want to imagine that tattoo..... Undecided
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: